Science Forums

Time doesn't exist...?

rectangleboy

Considering the fact that humans made up the concept of time, basing it off of our own planet, would it be justifiable to say that time did not exist? Given that evolution is true, there couldn't have been a concept of time at the beginning of the universe, because there were no people to create the idea of time. If you really think about it, time is something that's pretty new, considering the idea that humans, with cognitive ability, only came into existence about 100,000 years ago.

My question is, is this a valid idea, or has time just always existed? Everything we see is really what we make of it. Thus, throughout the universe, time really isn't a constant, because different planets have different days, years, etc.

But in all that I've read about theories of the beginning of the universe, they're always centered around the beginning of time. There's always an age for everything, but, maybe, could time not exist? Could it be some sort of concept that we, as humans, cannot live without, like, for many of us, God? Or is it one of those things in the universe that have to exist, like gravity? Pretty much, my question is, is this a valid idea, or am I just some rambling idiot?

Trevor

No, you're not a rambling idiot, but you are confusing physical time with perceived (or social) time. The days, minutes etc that have been invented by various cultures (and often differed) are *measurements* of time. They did not invent time itself.

It makes no sense to say we could live without time. Without time the universe would not work.

I disagree Tormod,

I don't think time exsits, and i thin kwe can exsit without it.

Thing exsit and happen in cycles. But we as humans have created "time" (Measurment) to measure the exsitance of somthing in numbers that we can understand.

These are my thoughts...Yell at me if you wish.

Op5

I disagree Tormod,

Thing exsit and happen in cycles. But we as humans have created "time" (Measurment) to measure the exsitance of somthing in numbers that we can understand.

Op5

Would you agree that our planet spins on it's axis over and over? For any revolution would you agree that there have been revolutions before it and after it? Without time, what would you say has elapsed from one revolution to the next? With or without humans, would you agree that something has elapsed regardless of what we call it?

No, you're not a rambling idiot, but you are confusing physical time with perceived (or social) time. The days, minutes etc that have been invented by various cultures (and often differed) are *measurements* of time. They did not invent time itself.

It makes no sense to say we could live without time. Without time the universe would not work.

Yes. Time measures the interval between events. The beginning of the universe was the first event thus the start of time. When two events occur simultaneously, they occur at the same TIME. We cannot possibly describe movement without the time reference.

Would you agree that our planet spins on it's axis over and over? For any revolution would you agree that there have been revolutions before it and after it? Without time, what would you say has elapsed from one revolution to the next? With or without humans, would you agree that something has elapsed regardless of what we call it?

I agree agree somthing has happened...but time is somthing we made as a measurement...its not a flowing thing that we can tap into and travel in. Things happen, I agree, they exsist as i said.

Op5

I agree agree somthing has happened...but time is somthing we made as a measurement...its not a flowing thing that we can tap into and travel in. Things happen, I agree, they exsist as i said.

Op5

So, would you say that some things happen before other things and that some things happen after other things? Conversely, would you say that all things happen simultaneously? Is there a period of something between events that do not happen simultaneously?

I always pictured time as a river, and I'm sure most others have. But what if time was like a pool of water, and stuff just happened? I guess you can say something can't exist until someone, or something makes it exist, right? Then did time exist during, or around, the big bang? Or is time eternal and infinite? Can time be eternal? Or is there a beginning to that too? If so, was there anything before time? Maybe there weren't any events before time, making time unneeded. What Tormod said earlier about the universe not existing without time, would kinda' be like what people say about God. Just like God explains what started everything, time explains everythign else that happens.

I always pictured time as a river, and I'm sure most others have. But what if time was like a pool of water, and stuff just happened? I guess you can say something can't exist until someone, or something makes it exist, right? Then did time exist during, or around, the big bang? Or is time eternal and infinite? Can time be eternal? Or is there a beginning to that too? If so, was there anything before time? Maybe there weren't any events before time, making time unneeded. What Tormod said earlier about the universe not existing without time, would kinda' be like what people say about God. Just like God explains what started everything, time explains everythign else that happens.

It's really more like this. Take notice of the fact that our planet makes quite a number of revolutions on it's own axis for each revolution about the Earth made by the moon. Now is doesn't matter if you invent some term called days to label those revolutions or not, they still happen. Time is that variable we use to calculate the velocity of that fluid motion. Fluid motion is happening throughout the universe. Some of that motions leads other motion, so of it follows. Some motion is faster than other motion. Even if we did not exist at all this would be the case in the universe. Time is. It does not rely on us and we did not invent it. FWIW, it is not an equivalent factor to the existence of God, there is no doubt that time exists, it is part of the fabric of the universe.

I disagree Tormod,

Op5

Heck you know I'm not going to yell at you but like C1ay points out you make the same mistake as the original poster: our measurement of time in human standards is a culturalt, human-invented thing. The passage of time is a very real fundamental basis for our universe and has nothing to do with is.

Time is a mysterious concept and nobody has been able to pinpoint exactly what it is. But it is NOT the ticking of the clock - that is subjective time measurement.

so, given that time is just there, can it exist without the universe? It kinda' seems that way, but does time still have a beginning? I know no one may really have an answer, but what are your ideas?

Yes, time would exist without the universe. We could never know the answer for sure about a beginning but I believe it goes back infinitely and will go on for eternity.

Time is created by gravity right? If you are closer to a strong gravitational field and say you figure out a way to send a message to someone in a weak gravitational field. They will recieve that message at a very slow rate. Or if you do the opposite(send the message from a low gravitational field to a higher one) They will recieve that message at a faster rate. So without gravity is there actually time? I hope I dont sound to dumb on this subject B) "We know exactly what gravity does, and we can predict its effect on things with great accuracy, yet we can't say with any certainty, what it is."