Science Forums

What is Consciousness and can it ever be copied?

What is Consciousness and can it ever be copied? Opinion by Dick Pelletier

Of course today, scientists can only speculate these issues, but within 25 years, it is expected that consciousness will be much better understood.

Many forward-thinkers see this elusive human trait as an emergent property of classical computer-like activities in the brain’s neural networks. Views range as follows: 1- patterns of neural network activities correlate with mental states, 2- synchronous network oscillations in the thalamus and cerebral cortex temporarily bind information, and 3- consciousness emerges as a novel property of computational complexity among neurons.

If any of these views prove correct, it may be possible in the future – mid-2030s to mid-2040s or so – to replace biological neurons with powerful indestructible nanomaterial; then, using quantum computers to analyze the monumental data load, observe the 100 billion neurons and their trillion glial support cells, which influence the 100 trillion or so synapses (connections between neurons).

Once this analysis is performed, which would include correlating neuron activities with all thoughts, emotions, memories, and physical actions; simulations of historical and future neuron interactions could be created and transferred as a consciousness into a new “housing unit.” The cloned copy would be a replicated mind and body indiscernible from the deceased person. In fact, people going through this procedure would not even be aware they had died.

This writer believes that one day; humans will enjoy life in a non-biological body free from sickness, disease, and aging, but would still be at risk for violence and accidents. With the ability to copy consciousness, all unwanted deaths will be eliminated. If civilization buys the concept that human life is truly our most valuable commodity, then this “magical future” could become reality.

• 2 weeks later...
Once this analysis is performed, which would include correlating neuron activities with all thoughts, emotions, memories, and physical actions; simulations of historical and future neuron interactions could be created and transferred as a consciousness into a new “housing unit.” The cloned copy would be a replicated mind and body indiscernible from the deceased person. In fact, people going through this procedure would not even be aware they had died.

This is dualism. The belief that the mind is separate from the brain. I was going to WIKI dualism, but the article was not what I wanted. Dualism (philosophy of mind) adresses what I'm refering to. In most cases the word can be replaced with spirtiualism, but lately on these forums I've seen it approached from computer science - completely sterile of spiritualism.

We can (in theory) copy the machinery of the brain. Even in a different medium - silicone chips instead of neurons, they do similar things, that's fine. But what we've done here is made a human mind, not an indivdual human that already exists in another medium.

There are some controverseys that will arise. For instance, do we copy, bit for bit and logic gate for logic gate, all the stuff in my brain that induces me to argue with my wife about unimportant things and perpetuate the argument because for some reason it's more important that I'm right than our closest collective approximation of the matter? Can't we just leave that stuff out? But, if we did, it wouldn't be exactly me. Me, but not stubborn and pig headed would be a far cry from me. :evil:

Furthermore, I don't have to die. I can be kept alive alongside this thing, even if it is an exact data replica of me, my memories, beliefs...etc. I can have conversations with it. The two of us can argue to my wife's amusement. At no point is it nessesary to transfer my consciousness into the machine. It should just function by itself, the same way I function.

This writer believes that one day; humans will enjoy life in a non-biological body free from sickness, disease, and aging, but would still be at risk for violence and accidents. With the ability to copy consciousness, all unwanted deaths will be eliminated. If civilization buys the concept that human life is truly our most valuable commodity, then this “magical future” could become reality.

Again, just leave violence and accidents out of the recipe. But then again, it wouldn't be exactly human without these things.

• 4 years later...

This is dualism. The belief that the mind is separate from the brain. I was going to WIKI dualism, but the article was not what I wanted. Dualism (philosophy of mind) adresses what I'm refering to. In most cases the word can be replaced with spirtiualism, but lately on these forums I've seen it approached from computer science - completely sterile of spiritualism.

As time marches on, I believe we're going to find more scientific and rational explanations for that which we currently cannot understand and call spiritualism. We've made a lot of progress in the time between the last post and this one. For example, the "light at the end of the tunnel" that people see when they die may very well be proven to be something the mind does after the body dies. The body performs functions one last time after it dies. Does the mind do this also?

Edited by RainMan

As time marches on, I believe we're going to find more scientific and rational explanations for that which we currently cannot understand and call spiritualism.

The trouble I foresee with humanity coming to understand spiritualism is the same trouble I fear with the topic of this thread, consciousness: that, once we understand it, it’ll look so different from what we initially thought we were looking for that we won’t recognize it. Or worse, that the explanation will be so deeply unsatisfying - compared with our fantasies - that we’ll do everything we can to deny it.

I believe this has already happened with both consciousness and spiritualism. The human soul is made out of some very special stuff; evasive, ethereal, and (potentially) immortal. It is information.

Now, that is very unappealing, isn’t it? Not at all what philosophers had in mind when they postulated an élan vital that animates our bodies

Nevertheless, as an explanation, information – and the combinatorics of information processing systems - more than accommodates all observations of human behavior, including our precious inner-lives. Further, when we look at the fine details of a human brain, we find that the action is taking place through some little devices doing remarkably similar things as some of the devices we’ve been manufacturing for years to handle similar tasks, like the thermostat on my wall.

The good news is that you can – at least in principle – copy your soul onto a computer or some other medium. That’s pretty thin, far in the future, and far out-weighted by the bad news: even if you do, you’ll still die.

• 5 months later...

Coping Consciousness

This is cool,

there might be a way to copy consciousness through cells exchange

Probably, if we clone mothers' cells with kid's cells, within family members, the genetic info would go from

adults to kids and from kids to adults!

I mean if it is possible to extrapolate cell nucleus and clone/implant them into others' cells this may go beyond

bells number andor any other aim!

Who knows!