Science Forums

Turning a killer on himself...

Boerseun

I live in the most dangerous society on planet Earth, or, as the media will have it, the Murder Capital of the World - South Africa.

Around here, people sit in bars and listen to each others' stories of being attacked, having your family killed, having your wife raped next to you while you're tied up in bed, being hijacked, basically the worst Hollywood can throw at you. It's so rife that those that haven't been victims of this are merely waiting their turn, like sheep.

And you don't have to be rich to be a victim - people are killed here for a handful of change or an old, cracked cellphone.

And even if you really don't have anything, you can still be raped or killed as gang members have to earn their stripes with initiation killings.

My question in this thread is the following:

The housebreaker *** robber *** rapist *** killer will scout out your house for a few days and make his move. The fact remains that once he's inside your house or yard, he's in unfamiliar territory. You have the advantage in that regard, at least. But what can be done to turn this even more in your favour? You are disadvantaged from the get-go in that you're most likely still asleep, and when you wake up from a broken window, you're brain is still struggling to wake up by the time you get the AK47 or stolen 9mm against the temple. How can your familiarity of the surrounds be turned against this guy (or guys)? What other disadvantages would these sods have? Keep in mind that they have absolutely no fear of the police and/or being jailed. People here get a R1,000 fine for not paying their TV licences, but they get off on R500 bail for murder. I kid you not. The joke is doing the rounds that if the TV licence inspector shows up you should kill him - you'll save R500.

From a psychological viewpoint - how can you spin the situation in your favour? Any ideas? In the last week, there's been two murders and five housebreakings on the farms immediately surrounding ours. Our turn is coming up, and I'm not going to sit like a docile sheep and wait to have my throat slit for a DVD player.

Any ideas?

Wow, that sucks!

I can't advise on specific strategies as I have no idea of anything related to your property. But, I'll try to help with some general recommendations.

Preventative measures:

-Install better border security (barb wire etc.)

-Buy a dog to keep watch and alert of intruders

-Put bars on the windows

-Install motion sensor lights around the outside of the house (even better, you could have IR floodlights with cheap IR cameras. You could have these be triggered by motion and set off a "silent" alarm near the bed.)

Defensive measures:

-Set snares - Not kidding.

-Buy a gun if you don't already own one

-Designate a safe room. This room should be the go to place if someone breaks in. Of course, you'll want a gun in there.

I don't know what's like in SA, but here, we can shoot trespassers (in some states at least). How does it work there?

You could always put a sign out front that says something like "Congratulations to my neighbor Bob on his new purchase of 2 laptops and a home entertainment center". :surprise:

I think your question goes to notice and response time.

In essence, if you have no notice and little response time to intrusion, there is no time to use your familiarity with surroundings in a defense. The key is then to increase your response time, since you will likely never receive a heads up notice.

House alarms are designed for this purpose. Double doors are also intended for this purpose. You can also compartmentalize your house with multiple locks. In some inner city areas I have seen window bars. All those measures increase your response time, and in some instance may completely deter crime by shifting response time completely in your favor.

Move.

After that, early detection seems the best strategy to sway the odds in your favor.

Seriously man... It's time for you to check out Texas, and get the hell out of SA (you can't even get your kid a decent education w/o religiot influence there). Here, people will only cut your throat for a DVD player in El Paso or Houston, so the odds are much better. :hyper:

Whoa. I say, "Get the hell out of there!" Sounds like east-side Detroit.

Short of packing up and shipping out, I would say, listen to Freezy.

Get bars for windows. Buy deadbolts and sliders for your doors. Motion lights would be a great idea. Have it wired to trigger an alarm in your bedroom.

Buy weapons. Are you allowed to purchase guns? If so, get a gun and keep it near you.

Make a panic room. Make a secret door that leads to a closet-like space that can lock from the inside.

Move your circuit breakers to a central location. Be able to cut the master power to your property in one go.

Do run-throughs of your house. Know exactly where everything is, even in the dark. Be able to move around, get to someplace to hide, or leave the property if you can do it without being noticed.

It's not entirely the same, but it reminds me of the movie "Enough." Basically, guy and girl get married, have kid. The guy becomes abusive. She tries to leave. He beats her. She eventually runs away, but he keeps tracking her down using corrupt connections in the police. Eventually she's had enough. She takes intense self defense classes, and plans to set him up in his own home. If she can make it look like she was attacked, she can say she acted in self defense.

Now, I know it's a different situation. She makes sure he doesn't have access to weapons, etc. But it's still an interesting watch.

YouTube - Enough part 10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjTSx7HfGzE&feature=related

YouTube - Enough part 11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6ZSlaNy6UA&feature=related

I would think you were paranoid if I hadn't heard the same thing from my physical therapist about her relatives in rural SA.

I was surprised when you mentioned going to bars, since my therapist said her relatives had turned their farms into fortresses they never left. I would think that if you have a large enough farm, you could use lights, alarms, electric fences, barbed wire--kind of reverse prison security.

From what I've heard, it's just going to be rough there for a while. If you have somewhere else to go, it might be a good time to go, at least for a while.

--lemit

Here a re my recommendations in order:

1. Get the hell out of there. I'm guessing this one is easier said than done.

2. Do what Freezy said, and install a bunch of booby traps and intimidating security.

3. Pull some Scooby Doo magic and trick all the crazies over there into thinking your property is haunted or something. Find a way to project apparitions, or create something that would scare ignorant supernaturalist thieves, but not harm anyone if they got frightened and shot at it(ie use a scarecrow, and not your buddy in a scary mask or something).

Okay, ,that last one is probably not entirely realistic, but hey, a lot of creepy, dusty old men would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for that dog and those meddling kids! :hyper:

I live in the most dangerous society on planet Earth

It's so rife that those that haven't been victims of this are merely waiting their turn, like sheep.

But what can be done to turn this even more in your favour? You are disadvantaged from the get-go in that you're most likely still asleep, and when you wake up from a broken window, you're brain is still struggling to wake up by the time you get the AK47 or stolen 9mm against the temple. How can your familiarity of the surrounds be turned against this guy (or guys)? What other disadvantages would these sods have? Keep in mind that they have absolutely no fear of the police and/or being jailed.

From a psychological viewpoint - how can you spin the situation in your favour? Any ideas?

I selected passages from your OP to help make points I wish to bring up.

#1 thing is you got to get rid of fear. I'm not saying that's easy, but then again, it may not be as hard as one might make it. You emphasized "they have absolutely no fear" and if you desire to have a remote chance in hell, you'd be wise to rid fear in yourself and even the playing field. My suggestion, and I do mean this sincerely, learn the TRUE nature of forgiveness. Hint: it ain't about forgiving the other person, it's about forgiving yourself. That's the positive spin on how to rid fear. The false positive is to stop seeing yourself as only a body. Seeing self as (only) a body is direct path to victimhood. IMO, this idea of getting rid of fear is, without a doubt, #1 way to gain full advantage. But if this is deemed too lofty or illogical or whatever, then move onto other ideas.

#2 is pray. What would you possibly have to lose by praying? Pretend like there is something at work that is bigger than criminal minds involved in this situation. Pray for that to help you. Stop pretending that this 'entity' is outside of you, and realize you won't be asked to do anything extraordinary, but will be met with precisely where you're at. If prayer doesn't work for you, even before trying it (aka you are prejudice against prayer), then move onto other ideas.

#3 is what others have said. Get the hell out of Dodge. I could see this being #1, though the real issue isn't outside of you, so wherever you go, chances are the actual problem will follow. But stepping away from the proverbial battleground can help buy (valuable) time while more sensible approaches are considered.

#4 - in the vein of what I think you are asking, I'd suggest you "become one of us." I don't know what that means exactly for your neighborhood, given what you've presented, but I would suggest you not dress your abode, your body, your lifestyle in the adornments of - I'm a victim looking to protect myself - aka putting bars up. IMO, you are in a war zone. And you either do suggestions 1 through 3, or you become a little more active on the side of warrior. If it means becoming a local (war) criminal yourself, then so be it. You can always re-invent yourself down the road. If seen as "one of us" by local gangs, you stand better chance of (short term) survival than if you are seen as "one of them." Especially if seen as "one of them who is incredibly easy target."

#5 - put bars up, get alarms, carry a gun that you hope to never use, and use hope for survival against overwhelming odds. Don't pray, don't forgive, don't believe in miracles. Plan on staying where you are at for as long as possible. Pretend like things could get better if you stay the course you are on. Hope this is the case. Consider each day you make it through alive, as a matter of luck and your own sense of morals. Realize that some fear is maybe a good thing. Look at it as an us and them issue and be as happy as you can that you are not one of them. And live the life the best way you know how and/or desire.

Yeah, pray, on your knees, makes the "Turkish" rape easier, maybe they won't get pissed if you're cooperative and kill you after.... I credit my loud *** obnoxious dogs as keeping me from be robbed far more than once. Not to mention the knowledge that I am more than willing to kill anyone who trespasses. My dogs, basset hounds, are very territorial, they bark at intruders, all intruders, nothing you can do can make them stop short of killing them. My last adult basset was named Elvis, he would wake up out a dead sleep when someone walked down the street on the opposite side of the street. He would walk to the door and put his nose under the door and i could tell by his reaction is the person was a stranger or not. have a good dog or preferably dogs, learn to read their moods, they have an uncanny way of knowing if a human has something bad on their minds. I can tell by their barks what they are barking at. Get good locks and security lights and cameras if possible. Get a shot gun, short barrel, pump, magnum, with 000 buck shot. practice using it so if you pull it out you know what to do automatically. I keep mine loaded nearby the bed. Most importanttly.... use it! If confronted.... shoot! don't argue with the perps, anyone who breaks in your house has murder on his mind is my motto. If possible move to the southern USA, we don't put up with that **** here.....

Yeah, Boerseun. You should pray. The only thing you've got to lose is your life and the life and dignity of those you love.

Evidently you don't understand prayer as you linked to something so outdated, it makes me yawn. :singer:

I took on WWGHA forums and found it (the simplistic logic) too easy to overcome, and then left the site when I saw it was mostly, but of course not only, ad hom after ad hom after ad hom 'logic' at work.

Would like to see your proof or rationale that prayer leads to loss of life and/or loss of dignity in this case. Oh that's right, you don't have any. Fail!

Jway, just how is prayer going to affect the outcome of home invasion? Angels going to fly in and save you? Is praying just before rape, torture and murder going to help you in any way except to help you be at peace with your fate? Do you really think that if you hear someone breaking into your house that stopping to pray is going to help? I'm going to fight, with every ounce of my being, the perp had better be the one praying if I get the jump on him.

Evidently you don't understand prayer as you linked to something so outdated, it makes me yawn. :singer:

I took on WWGHA forums and found it (the simplistic logic) too easy to overcome, and then left the site when I saw it was mostly, but of course not only, ad hom after ad hom after ad hom 'logic' at work.

Would like to see your proof or rationale that prayer leads to loss of life and/or loss of dignity in this case. Oh that's right, you don't have any. Fail!

You made your point. This thread will not become a discussion on prayer. We have a thread for that in the Theology forum. Keep it on track or I'll do it for you.

The fact remains that once he's inside your house or yard, he's in unfamiliar territory.

No he isnt. If they have been 'casing the house' he is familiar.

You have the advantage in that regard, at least. But what can be done to turn this even more in your favour? How can your familiarity of the surrounds be turned against this guy (or guys)? What other disadvantages would these sods have? Keep in mind that they have absolutely no fear of the police and/or being jailed.

Change your pattern. Most people leave for work at the same time, do farm chores at the same time and go to bed at the same time. So get up for two hours a night. Leave a light on with curtains drawn so someone cannot peek in and see. Be unpredictable.

From a psychological viewpoint - how can you spin the situation in your favour? Any ideas? In the last week, there's been two murders and five housebreakings on the farms immediately surrounding ours. Our turn is coming up, and I'm not going to sit like a docile sheep and wait to have my throat slit for a DVD player.

Any ideas?

So what is their pattern? Why havent you been targeted? Whats different about your location and the ones who have been hit? Another thought, we had a rash of mailbox trashings and other vandalisms. I mean everyone had something happen to their property, except for a handful of people. What did that handful of people have in common? They had all treated one particular family very well and one of the kids in that family had control over the troublemakers. When that kid said "those guys are off limits" NOTHING happened to them or what they owned. That kid wasnt vandalizing anything but he had power over those who did and he was no one to mess with. A good friend to have.

You mention they are not afraid of the police, are you?

Hey - thanks. Good replies.

Jway, prayer won't help. It wastes valuable reloading time.

As to home security, I already have barbed wire, motion-detection lights, bars on the windows, slamlock security doors, and such. We're in contact with all the neighbours with CB radio, and have a remote alarm on the house roof which we can press with buttons that both me and Charlene carry around on our persons. We also have a courtyard at the back of the house which is pretty much safe with an elaborate palisade system blocking it off from the front yard. In other words, if they break in from the front we go to the back and vise versa.

When they "case the joint" they only know our routine, and what's going on outside. They have no idea of what's cooking inside the house, and that's where I reckon the advantage turns from surprise on their side, to familiarity on my side.

Moving is the one thing I really want to do. But it's impossible currently, due to business and family issues. Besides - if everybody were to move, the bastards have won.

Ironically, the best advice above (and the one I'm busy exploiting now) was offered by Galapagos in jest, with his "Scooby Doo Magic" comment. You have to keep in mind that we're not dealing with your everyday perps as you probably know from television series etc. based in Yankeeland. We are here dealing with a rather primitive people suffering from enormous superstition, more in the vein of Haiti voodoo than regular Western religion (and please save the racism allegations for another thread - come and visit here and judge for yourself). They blindly believe in witchdoctors, called "sangomas" over here, and will pay these "sangomas" loads of money for "muti" (medicine) that they rub on their chests so that the police and/or victim's bullets will harmlessly bounce off their chests. The "sangomas" will then in turn pay them huge amounts for human body parts to be used in their more "potent" mutis. It's a vicious cycle, really, normal housebreakers who wouldn't normally kill now have an incentive to hack you up and take your bits to the sangoma for cash. But be that as it may, they have a livid fear of the power of the sangomas. So much so that if it were known that a sangoma put a spell on one of them, they will develop all the symptoms the spell is said to cause. Don't even try to explain the placebo effect to them. But this is one angle I'm busy exploiting now. I'm busy tracking down one of the local sangomas (a notoriously difficult task), and I'm going to get him to put a spell on my house in full view of the local community. So that the bastards know that if they break into my house their dicks will turn green and fall off. Use the power of their idiocy to my benefit, so to speak. I don't give a rat's *** to bother with telling them that its hogwash; if it keeps me and my family safe, so be it.

As to guns, that's a no-no in these parts. The current government is so ****-scared that the whites will rise up and put an end to them totally screwing up the country through mismanagement, corruption, inability to render services and the blatant kleptocratic nature of their rule, that they have been actively disarming the whites through making gun license renewals virtually impossible. Through their idiotic rule, the only people now wielding guns are the criminals. Hunting rifles are still available, but are of no use in a close-combat scenario. Some people I know around here have been making makeshift homemade shotguns in their workshops. These "pipe-guns" are lethal in close combat, and very cleverly designed. The idea is to shoot the bastard, and before the cops arrive you put the gun in the corpse's hand for prints and then take it again in your hands, and you tell the cops that the guy broke in with the gun, there was a battle, you took the gun away from the housebreaker and shot him. The cops will then confiscate the gun as evicence, close the case as self-defense, and you get to make another gun in your workshop for $5.00. That's about as far as guns would be useful.

Am I a racist? No. The blacks in South Africa have all the ability as individuals that the whites or Asians anywhere in the world has. But as a group, they can't tell **** from shinola - because their culture is broken, and incompatible with the modern world. As a group, as a culture, they are still stuck in the Stone Age, and we should approach the matter from that angle. That's why I believe the Sangoma route the best on the short term. On the long term, they have to accept and understand the incongruous nature of trying to shoe-horn a Stone Age lifestyle into the modern world. It's gonna be either the one or the other. And looking at all the African States to the north of the Limpopo river, it seems as if the Stone Age outlook has been having the upper hand since independence were granted.

Okay - the last paragraph was a bit of a digression, possibly offensively so to the more liberal readers out there, but it does paint a bit of background as to the causes of the nature of these terrible crimes we're suffering under. You can make your own deductions from it, if you consider me a racist, please do - but save it for another thread.

ok, other things you can do:

-Shatterproof your windows: these films when applied correctly provide another layer of security. even if someone unbolted your bars, trying to break a window with this laminate makes a lot of noise and takes a good dozen hits.

-reinforce your walls: standard construction practices make it viable for someone to bash through the wall next to the door if the door is heavily bolted and/or crossbared. a sheet of plywood, or even a thin sheet steel or intermittant bands of metal greatly increase fortification(illegal practice in my area, as is a fence over 8' tall from grade, anti-fortification laws)

-put brass rings around some nails and use them to install a floor covering. the idea is to make your floor squeak noticeably. This gives you auditory warning of where all motion in the house is.

I'm mostly liberal Boerseun, I wouldn't say you are racist, just practical. A good dog would still be a plus in your situation and not being able to have a gun practically breeds the situation you are in. If it works taking advantage of the superstitions of your opponents sounds like a great idea. Better security will help but without the ability to defend yourself it seems just a matter of time before you are dragged down as well. a great many people seem to be willing to take guns away from honest people where i live, we fight it at every turn, it's scary to see what can happen if guns are taken away from honest folk. Your idea of making a shot gun would seem to be valid in the worst case scenario, not being able to defend is crazy. Take all the security measures you can, a fire proof safe room might be the ony way out if they do indeed break in.