Science Forums

What would happen if your town got nuked?

Not that it's particularly likely, but as long as nuclear bombs exist, there's the chance - however slim - that one might go off somewhere near you. This little Google Maps overlay might be a bit morbid, but it's also pretty fascinating. It shows you the heat, pressure and fallout spread of a range of different nuclear bombs detonating anywhere in the world. It's particularly sobering to get a sense of the scale of the devastation caused by the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs in World War 2 - and then see how tiny those bombs are compared to the USSR's enormous Tsar Bomba, the biggest nuke ever detonated.

I dun need a calculator: If it got through, Can AF div 1 would be out, NORAD would be fried, and the level5 biolab down the street would be sterilised :)

Doubt it's get through though...too many interceptors guarding NORAD :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Do the Yanks really want to bomb Wyong, Australia?

Are nuclear bombs past their use by dates as weapons or deterrents?

Well there are more countries than us Yanks who have nukes but you bring up some really good questions.

With "conventional" weapons being as advanced as they are nukes really do seem to be out dated. Why would we want to unleash such power, our intercontinental ballistic missiles are almost accurate enough to kill on peron with no war head if you know where he is. Just put a cinder-block in the warhead and hit the guy with it.!

Nukes do have some deterrent value. if all the bigger countries really gave up their nukes it wouldn't be long until some little guy built a few and decided to use them to intimidate the big guys. They are easy to make.

It puzzles me that all during the cold war the premise was that if you nuke me or my allies I'll nuke you off the face of the Earth, this idea kept the flys of the USA and the USSR zipped for a very long time.

Now everyone is terrified that Iran or some other small country might have nuke or three. Why don't we ask them nice not to make them but say if you do make them and then use one for any reason we'll pretty much turn your country into a radioactive parking lot.

I'm betting the thought of a ground penetrating nuke being sent to the "safe" bunkers of who ever has a bomb just might make the small guys think again about using a nuke.

[]

Well there are more countries than us Yanks who have nukes but you bring up some really good questions.

The US is the only country with the capacity to deliver abomb to Oz- bar terrorists.

With "conventional" weapons being as advanced as they are nukes really do seem to be out dated.
Yes it is an interesting question, it was discussed recently on aradio programme I listened to. I posted it as "has peace broken out" here. We now know that any retalatory war using nukes will destroy us all and therefore no Yanks would make money--the ultimate deterannt :)
Why would we want to unleash such power, our intercontinental ballistic missiles are almost accurate enough to kill on peron with no war head if you know where he is. Just put a cinder-block in the warhead and hit the guy with it.!

Like you did with Osama bin Laden ;)

Now everyone is terrified that Iran or some other small country might have nuke or three.

The India, pakistan, china trimverate with common borders always concern me. Then who knows what extermes the Isralies will go to if pushed. They are not going to be exterminated' again unless they take a few others with them.

I couldn't get the original link to work (slow connection--made by a Yank ;) But i was disappointed I couldn't virtually nuke various cities.

It looked like fun. Maybe we could make the next war take place on Google Earth and not the real Earth ?:)

i would be interested to hear if others still felt Nukes were still a detrrant.-

or just no longer relevant

BTW

My congratulations to Pres. Obama . Obviously the world is inspired by the direction he is taking , if not his achievements so far. Please pass on my congratulations ;) Let's pray that peace does break out, with his encouragement.

[]

The US is the only country with the capacity to deliver abomb to Oz- bar terrorists.

I think the Russians still have that capability but why would anyone want to nuke oz? Wouldn't be cost effective....

Yes it is an interesting question, it was discussed recently on aradio programme I listened to. I posted it as "has peace broken out" here. We now know that any retalatory war using nukes will destroy us all and therefore no Yanks would make money--the ultimate deterannt :)

You don't know how close that comes to being the absolute truth:evil:

Like you did with Osama bin Laden ;)

I know! How could we miss a 6' Arab on dialysis :)

The India, pakistan, china trimverate with common borders always concern me. Then who knows what extermes the Isralies will go to if pushed. They are not going to be exterminated' again unless they take a few others with them.

I agree, it is a volatile area.

I couldn't get the original link to work (slow connection--made by a Yank ;) But i was disappointed I couldn't virtually nuke various cities.

It looked like fun. Maybe we could make the next war take place on Google Earth and not the real Earth ?;)

If your connection is slower than mine you are in real trouble.

i would be interested to hear if others still felt Nukes were still a detrrant.-

or just no longer relevant

Good idea for a thread.

BTW

My congratulations to Pres. Obama . Obviously the world is inspired by the direction he is taking , if not his achievements so far. Please pass on my congratulations ;) Let's pray that peace does break out, with his encouragement.

I think it's great but just wait for the Conservative reaction, it will be nuclear I guarantee it!

I think the Russians still have that capability but why would anyone want to nuke oz? Wouldn't be cost effective....

yes just wait for us to dig it all up and ship it to you via china, and you don't want Bing that glows in the dark!

You don't know how close that comes to being the absolute truth:evil:

I think it is the best hope for World peace yet. given we may have to assasinate a few Senators with defense industries in their states

I know! How could we miss a 6' Arab on dialysis :phones:

LOL :phones: Even with CIA drones planes!

I agree, it is a volatile area.

All nuts in MHO

If your connection is slower than mine you are in real trouble.

Big (muddy)Pond

Good idea for a thread.

OK Have a look at the "has peace broken out?" thread first.

I think it's great but just wait for the Conservative reaction, it will be nuclear I guarantee it!

We have to have hope not pessimism

I note the new strategy is Afganistan is going to be a"Winning hearts and minds " push. I would hope Obama would send 40,000 teachers Engineers, doctors, builders, gardeners and agronomists to Afganisatn not troops (maybe the English can protect these?)

Amazing that no one has thought about getting the Afgan people on side until now.(when we are loosing).

Have you seen the incredible documentary

Land Mines- A love story?

Documentary Australia