Science Forums

2012 trailer

Tormod

Looks AWESOME!!!

Definitely a must see - hopefully the science behind the concept won't be the normal run-of-the-mill Hollywood fluff...

...but the FX certainly seems goldang awesome to the n'th degree!

I'm not one for watching movies on the big screen, my home theater does it for me. After all, I get to pause and do my thing as and how I see fit, there aren't irritating kids with cellphones, the popcorn is fresh and the seats comfortable. But this seems like prime big screen fodder!

I am so ashamed. I hate everything that movie stands for (mystical prophecy, date oriented apocalypse - year Zero anyone?) yet I will definitely spend major bucks just to see those killer effects as well as that cool assassin guy from "Serenity" on IMAX . Hmmm wonder if they'll use Tool's "Aenima" for the sound track? Just maybe it might glean a few extra bucks for the Astronomy community as nothing spells "spend" like unreasoning fear.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, apocalypse movies make for real awesome FX-driven extravaganzas. Just a pity most of it will be CG, now. I love watching the special features on the "making of" of these kinda movies. For instance, in Independence Day, they simply couldn't get the flaming and particle scattering done so it looks "right" when the aliens blow up the White House, because the computers were either too slow or the technology did not exist. So they ended up building a helluva big scale model of the White House, and physically blew it up so the flaming looked to scale. Just awesome. I doubt that they'll do it with 2012, though - what with CGI being what it is nowadays.

A pity, really.

Coming back to the plot, I believe that this movie could make for a very sold story, in that the Aztecs were really well accomplished astronomers and mathematicians. It could very well be (in the narrative) that they witnessed one hell of a big asteroid scraping by the Earth, and in calculating its orbit found that it will hit the Earth slap-bang in 2012. So that their 2012 "prophesy" is not so much a "prophesy" as it is a calculated fact. The language in which they wrote down their astronomical and mathematical findings might be construed in 21st century language to be a prophesy, however. So it sounds very mystical etc., but is simply an astronomical finding - in one potential twist on the narrative, at least. I haven't seen the movie or read the script, but I believe a very solid case can be made to that effect, to make the movie not only FX-intense, but believable to us geeks, too.

But there is no telling with the Hollywood types. Maybe they want to push the "mystical" side of things. Which will be a great pity, in my opinion.

But I really hope they build some awesome scale models to blow up. It kinda brings out the kid in me when watching the special features! And it makes you forgive massive plot holes and general idiocy like what was presented in Independence Day. I find myself watching totally crap movies and try to figure out how they did particular shots, how the dollys were set up, etc. I makes for big entertainment, even if the movie completely sucks. But CGI took a lot of that technical magic away for me, so with 2012 I suppose it'll come down to the plot.

Well, from the previews and fan buzz, 2012 appears yet another state-of-the-art Roland Emmerich special effects tour de force.

Alas, for me, Emmerich seems to be sticking to his usual, successful formula of dramatic visual composition over physical realism – not to mention the, to me, irritating cliché of aircraft who’s pilots seem oblivious to the fact that they can fly higher than the walls of falling buildings or a pursuing Godzilla. At a glance, no FX shot from the previews looks realistic – all renderings of what one imagines impacting meteorites, collapsing buildings, etc, look like, not what they actually do look like. This is, I’m pretty sure, good filmmaking, as reality as often as not looks confusing and wrongly undramatic. Human senses simply aren’t much good at sensing things much outside of the magnitude and scale of our usual experience, so gigantic spectacles tend to be appear more muddled and confusing than spectacular.

Recent movies aren’t devoid of efforts be physically realistic, including a sense of confusion and inability to see or understand what’s happening: 2008’s Cloverfield for example, even though its core subject – a giant, missile-proof amphibian animal - is among the most unrealistic of scifi clichés.

Is it quixotic, I wonder, to wish for an ultra-cool, state-of-the-art movie as physically accurate as current science and technology permits?

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder how many people visit this site and think it's real: The IHC: The Institute for Human Continuity

Or, who see this commercial:

YouTube - 2012 ''IHC TV Spot'' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px6uxUlW0tM

I wouldn't think all that many until I consider that 18% of Americans think the sun orbits the earth.

Like JFK convinced a generation that Oswald didn't kill Kennedy, this movie might convince a whole lot of people that they have something real to fear in 2012.

~modest

I haven't been to ihc yet. My wife really wants to see it so we will catch the opening weekend. I'm curious to see what the supposed cause is for all the mayhem and of course how the politics plays out. There's always a little taste of reality in even the most far-fetched tales.

PS Tormod's vid was snatched.

Apple - Movie Trailers - 2012

YouTube - '2012' Trailer HD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz86TsGx3fc

Well, from the previews and fan buzz, 2012 appears yet another state-of-the-art Roland Emmerich special effects tour de force.

Alas, for me, Emmerich seems to be sticking to his usual, successful formula of dramatic visual composition over physical realism – not to mention the, to me, irritating cliché of aircraft who’s pilots seem oblivious to the fact that they can fly higher than the walls of falling buildings or a pursuing Godzilla. At a glance, no FX shot from the previews looks realistic – all renderings of what one imagines impacting meteorites, collapsing buildings, etc, look like, not what they actually do look like. This is, I’m pretty sure, good filmmaking, as reality as often as not looks confusing and wrongly undramatic. Human senses simply aren’t much good at sensing things much outside of the magnitude and scale of our usual experience, so gigantic spectacles tend to be appear more muddled and confusing than spectacular.

Recent movies aren’t devoid of efforts be physically realistic, including a sense of confusion and inability to see or understand what’s happening: 2008’s Cloverfield for example, even though its core subject – a giant, missile-proof amphibian animal - is among the most unrealistic of scifi clichés.

Is it quixotic, I wonder, to wish for an ultra-cool, state-of-the-art movie as physically accurate as current science and technology permits?

I agree, Craig. Emmerich is more PT Barnum than anything else. There is more plausibility in they typical Tim Burton film; he at least doesn't try to pawn off fantastic fantasy as reality.

Emmerich is all flash on a foundation of formula with no substance. Independence Day got away with it because it was sold as sci-fi. The Day After Tomorrow was just stupidity; watch out for the sudden absolute zero air temperatures!

Bill

Uncle Al's bet is that Betelgeuse locally goes supernova on 21 December 2012, celebrating the completion of the 13th and final baktun of the entire Maya calendar. The only other items of interest are the winter solstice and the solar system passing through the plane of the Milky Way. Way to go, Sagittarius!

--

Uncle Al

UNDER SATAN'S LEFT FOOT

Vote a 10 for the experiments!

Well if Oliver Stone had gotten this one instead of Roland, it would all be a Trilateral Commission conspiracy to stage a destruction of the world for the benefit of the uber-rich....

The how and the who is just scenery for the public. Oswald, Ruby, Cuba, the Mafia. Keeps 'em guessing like some kind of parlor game, prevents 'em from asking the most important question, why? ;)

Buffy

Well if Oliver Stone had gotten this one instead of Roland, it would all be a Trilateral Commission conspiracy to stage a destruction of the world for the benefit of the uber-rich....

Yup.

Of course, Oliver Stone did direct a disaster movie, and far more scary than anything Emmerich has put on film. Oliver Stone's: W. ;) <-- punchline drum roll ;)

~modest

• 3 months later...

one thing ididn get is where the earth was going

it is going down in usa, europe australia, but down where ???

anyway the movie makes you think that the end is close and u should take advantage of the present and do the right thing

i think that something is going to happen in the usa in 2012, it is a big volcano that will take down a magor part of it

and the world will go into an infinite storm

i hope i'm wrong,

But there is no telling with the Hollywood types. Maybe they want to push the "mystical" side of things. Which will be a great pity, in my opinion.

No why bother with a mystical explanation when you can hide behind the veil of science? I havent seen the film but I have heard from those who have that the reason for the world ending is:

:::: SPOILER ::::

neutrinos mutate and react with the Earths core...

:::: END SPOILER ::::

I dont think I will bother watching this movie, FX are not everything but they sure make one hell-of-a trailer.