Science Forums

Virginity?

dannieyankee

Personally, I consider someone to be a virgin if they have had no sexual activity. You have 'lost it', to me, if you have had any sexual activity. If you gave or have been given oral sex, that's it. If you've been in any sort of sexual scenario, including penetrating or being penetrated by any part of another person, you have had sex.

More specifically, I mean, in a sexual situation. I don't mean to imply that you have lost your virginity if you have ever seen a gynaecologist.

A value of a virgin is like a new car. The new car is a little stiff at first, and has to be pampered and driven slowly, until it is broken in. But if you treat it right, it will get up to speed in a short time and last for many years. Most people prefer to buy their cars new, if they have that option, rather than buy a car with high mileage. The high mileage car will be good to go right away. But will often need to be trade in earlier. The exception is the classic car, which is an engineering marvel, getting better with age. But those are expensive to maintain.

Here is a more human way to look at the value of a virgin. For guys to get into women's pants, many men will say and do whatever it takes, with the lowest form of male going the farthest. Even the nice guy can make promises he will not be able to to keep relative to the bartering. From the point of view of women, this means pain and disappointment. From a psychological point of view, the virgin doesn't know this same pain, since she is sheltered from this hard reality. This hard driving can create hidden damage in used cars.

A study should be done to see if virgins or moderate to high mileage women nag more, to see if there is more hidden damage in used cars, or more factory defects in new cars.

The virgin is like a good wine getting better with time if it is treated right. The high mileage car starts out running great, but gets temperamental quickly, as the wear and tear becomes obvious. Don't get me wrong, a high mileage woman is a good practice car for young drivers, since the young driven often crashes. When their skills are mature, new is the way to go. This is why historically, older males would marry younger virgins. They drive the used cars to gain skills, until they are ready to buy a new car.

Very interesting.

However, everything that everyone has said in favour or explanation of the reverence of virginity has been to satisfy a male-oriented culture. What this basically is suggesting is that for a world to be honestly equal, the virginity thing has to disappear, because it has been a method of men gaining control of women for their own enrichment.

Correct me if you have come to a different conclusion :)

What this basically is suggesting is that for a world to be honestly equal, the virginity thing has to disappear

I'll be glad to do my part, and to help often in achieving your stated goal. Honestly, I'm selfless that way, and will put forth a serious effort such as you've requested of us here, especially since it's for such a good cause. :)

A value of a virgin is like a new car. The new car is a little stiff at first, and has to be pampered and driven slowly, until it is broken in. But if you treat it right, it will get up to speed in a short time and last for many years. Most people prefer to buy their cars new, if they have that option, rather than buy a car with high mileage. The high mileage car will be good to go right away. But will often need to be trade in earlier. The exception is the classic car, which is an engineering marvel, getting better with age. But those are expensive to maintain.

Here is a more human way to look at the value of a virgin. For guys to get into women's pants, many men will say and do whatever it takes, with the lowest form of male going the farthest. Even the nice guy can make promises he will not be able to to keep relative to the bartering. From the point of view of women, this means pain and disappointment. From a psychological point of view, the virgin doesn't know this same pain, since she is sheltered from this hard reality. This hard driving can create hidden damage in used cars.

A study should be done to see if virgins or moderate to high mileage women nag more, to see if there is more hidden damage in used cars, or more factory defects in new cars.

The virgin is like a good wine getting better with time if it is treated right. The high mileage car starts out running great, but gets temperamental quickly, as the wear and tear becomes obvious. Don't get me wrong, a high mileage woman is a good practice car for young drivers, since the young driven often crashes. When their skills are mature, new is the way to go. This is why historically, older males would marry younger virgins. They drive the used cars to gain skills, until they are ready to buy a new car.

HB, this entire thread was worth it just to read your post. I hope none of the women here know where you live. I have only heard one guy compare women to cars so successfully. He was shot at (hit once) by three of his girl friends on separate occasions

Since I'm new here, what better place to start than the thread on virginity. I'm going to pose a hypothetical situation:

Let's say a man marries a virgen who subsequently bears and raises his children. About the time that these children are becoming independent (teen years), the man has an affair (assuming this affair is with a woman who is not a virgin; anyone want to chime in on statistics of affairs with women who are(n't) virgins?). What then is the value of virginity?

A woman can't doubt the baby being her own, a man can. It's obvious.

The whole thing is obvious, it is deeply rooted in psychology and instinct and has almost always played its role in social custom. There's less need for it currently, to guarantee paternity, but instincts are instincts. Woman's jealousy is strong too, but it evolved for a different purpose: she can't quite face it all alone, once pregnant, so she needs to first be sure he isn't hit and run.

The etymology of the words offers a good starting place.
Especially if you get it right:
“Virgin” comes fairly clearly and obviously from an ancient Greek word “virgo”, meaning simply “young woman”, that is, a female older than a “child” but not yet fully mature.
No, from the Latin words virginem and virgo, of disputed origin but which apparently meant mature, lush, strong and robust, turgid and even related to the Greek οργασμός (orgasmos) for exuberance of force, energy and juice. The meaning was basically a young woman mature and ready for marriage. This implied not yet married and hence pristine (at least officially) and is often thus used in Latin.

The earliest concepts of virginity appear to apply only to females, but at least 2000 years ago, it was being applied to males. Ca. 95 AD, John of Patmos (AKA John the Divine) wrote in Greek in the Book of Revelation a reference to males “These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins.”
The exact word that Greek guy wrote was παρθένοι, root form παρθένος (parthenos) which basically meant new, but often used about people in the sense of virgin as meant currently, which is how it was translated into the Latin version (virgines enim sunt).