Science Forums

Repulsive versus Attractive force, one always wins?

arkain101

Consider the following,

Any two objects that each consist of a set of two hypothetical poles, or to say, point source of forces, where these points have EQUAL positive and negative, or to say, attractive and repulsive forces, when placed together should ALWAYS find that the attractive force will win.

IE, if I have two magnets, each with a north and south pole, and I place them in space close together, arranged in a manner that they repel eachother, theoretically the attractive force and/or action will always have its way, such that, the magnets will bond together.

Here is the reasoning for this assumption. Due to the fact that a north and south pole (negative positive) are separated by a given distance, when a force "pulls" the object towards another object it will act like an arrow, "flying attractive tip at the head" and thus the attractive end is closer to the source of attraction than the repulsive end. When a force pushes an object, it will behave like an arrow flying backwards, and will tend to want to turn around to fly tip first due to leverage advantages, which then again aligns the attractive force closer to the source than the repulsive.

So one could say that, in this kind of particular case, where two opposite forces are competing for acceleration, the attractive force will have the advantage.

An expression of this could likely resemble the following equation (assuming the forces remain active at all times):

[math]F_{net} = F_{orce}A - F_{orce}B[/math]

[math]\downarrow[/math]

[math]F_{orce attraction} = K_{constant} \left ( \frac {f_{a1} f_{a2}}{r^2} - \frac {f_{b1}f_{b2}}{r^2} \right )[/math]

[math]f_{a1, a2} [/math] being source of force, be it mass or charge etc, where "a" represents the closer attractive end

[math]f_{b1, b2} [/math] being source of force, be it mass or charge etc, where "b" represents the further repulsive end

[math]K [/math]some given constant if needed

[math]r^2 [/math] is the distance between the two point sources

The equations being a bit beside the point however.

In this kind of hypothetical scenario where two forces are competing for dominance in direction of acceleration, is it not true that given the bodies have a given length between there two poles that attractive force will always win in the end? Furthermore, in the process of the attraction force winning while competing with a repulsive foce, the Net Force will be significantly reduced to appear weak, as seen in perspective of "from action at a distance"

• 1 year later...

These are not true dipoles but they are as close as we can get. Each torus is painted only on the north pole side. The red one is considered to be the proton which I could not get any smaller. In reality it should be over eighteen hundred times smaller than the yellow electron. If you had an electron torus and a proton in free fall they would always center up from any angle. This idea is not about your thread but it demonstrates your view and the positive always wins.

• 7 months later...

Thats interesting to see Little Bang.

The principle I was bringing forth comes from pure simple mechanics, where I take into consideration any di pole or any magnet for that matter must have some form of length or size. And therefore in a free open environment, statistically attractive should always win because if it spins the magnets the attractive side becomes closer than the repulsive and the momentum of the object moving away is over powered by the attractive force.

Which I suppose may not be true if one could align some magnets in such a way that you make them fly apart.. but realistically.. Is that even possible in a enviroment like open space.