Science Forums

Black holes influence knowledge of the universe

C1ay

so umm...what's in the middle?

This is in fact one of the most interesting questions in cosmology, both for historical reasons and for our current understanding of the universe.

I think everything in the universe is right in the middle of it. Or rather, there is no center, so nothing is in the middle of it. When the big bang occurred, everything we see today was (theoretically speaking) contained within it. The balloon surface analogy shows that there is no center, yet each spot on the ballon is at the centre of it's own observably universe.

This is in fact one of the most interesting questions in cosmology, both for historical reasons and for our current understanding of the universe.

I think everything in the universe is right in the middle of it. Or rather, there is no center, so nothing is in the middle of it. When the big bang occurred, everything we see today was (theoretically speaking) contained within it. The balloon surface analogy shows that there is no center, yet each spot on the ballon is at the centre of it's own observably universe.

Theoretically speaking indeed... That sounds like a debate for the "Philosophy and Humanities" forum if you ask me, but I will agree with your notion of the center of the universe.

"It is everywhere... Yet it is nowhere."

"Wow, that's deep, man." :)