Science Forums

Black holes

fatty_ashy

I was reading this book "River of time" by Igor Novikov, when some fascinating questions entered my head.

We all know that a black hole "sucks" anything into it right?

Of course, the implications is space-time curving becomes infinite (or nearly anyway). In a very technical way, it would take near an infinity for a ship(or whatever object) to be drawn into the black hole.

In a real sense in our time, the ship would never actually reach the centre of the black hole, and if a big crunch happens...well, basically nothing reaches the singularity does it?

On a side note, does a singularity have mass? Even if you crush a star infinitely small, there SHOULD be some mass..shouldn't there?

PS: I really recommend you read "the river of time". It is very easy to digest, PLUS no confusing numbers

If you were observing the ship from outside the event horizon, the ship would appear to approach the event horizon ever more slowly, but never actually pass through it.

If you were on the ship, time would appear to pass normally and you would seem to cross the event horizon, as long as it was a very large black hole. Crossing the event horizon of smaller black holes would tear you and your ship apart due to the delta G's affecting the ship. Because of time dilation, I don't think you would ever reach the singularity.

Yes the singularity has mass, it bends space and time, so it must.

Ever wonder what it would look like as you crossed the event horizon? The event horizon would fill more and more of your field of view, until the universe outside appeared as a diminishing sphere in the direction you are coming from. I think to you the physics would appear as if you were being repelled by that sphere and were sailing into a vast new universe. I have never read any speculation on what that would be like and would love to be directed to speculation by someone with more knowlege than I. (That means just about anyone.)

If you were observing the ship from outside the event horizon, the ship would appear to approach the event horizon ever more slowly, but never actually pass through it.

Preciesly! According to an observer's point of view, the ship would take an eternity to actually enter a black hole!

Anyway, you can't really SEE an event horizon...I remember I read from some website what happens if you enter a black hole...I stick the link here when I find it.

Hi...sorry for the overloading amount of messages.

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Cyberia/NumRel/BlackHoleJourney.html

That should be the link. I need to mention that this website has certain..uhm...wrong infomation. It IS rather out-dated, but if you're new to all this, i recommend you run through the entire website as it is easy to understand. Consider this as dipping your toes in the large world of relativity