• 3 weeks later...
MedPage Today

to me

show details 5:48 AM (9 hours ago)

BREAKING NEWS FROM MEDPAGE TODAY

Tuesday September 15, 2009

FDA Approves H1N1 Vaccines

Developing story.

Medical News: FDA Approves H1N1 Vaccines - in Public Health & Policy, Public Health from MedPage Today

sometimes michael i have to agree with you about how knuckle-headed some of we yanks are. by the measure given in this article, half of us. by my judgement, more of *them* will die than *us* getting immunized. notably this article indicates that we oldsters are more likely to get immunized than others. maybe it's because we've buried more kith & kin. no skin off my *** i guess. :gun4: i got my regular flu shot this week and will get the H1N1 vaccination when it arrives in a couple weeks.

Only half of Americans want swine flu shots - Swine flu- msnbc.com

just a friendly reminder

Basically, vaccines work by tricking your body's immune system into thinking you are being exposed to a particular disease. When we get an infection, our bodies produce antibodies. According to NIAID, antibodies help fight the disease and often stay in the body even once the disease goes away. As a result, they continue to protect the body from future exposures to the disease. Vaccinations inject individuals with weakened versions of the bacteria or viruses that cause particular diseases. This triggers the body to produce antibodies to fight the invading germs. The antibodies remain in the body, offering continued protection from the specific diseases.

Precautions

There are some reasons for an adult or child not to get vaccinated, and it's important that you talk to your doctor about specific cases. Some people do have allergic reactions to components of some vaccines. If you have allergies, particularly to eggs or gelatin, you should discuss the issues with your doctor. You should also talk to your doctor if you or your child has any diseases that affect the immune system such as primary immunodeficiency or AIDS. You should also talk to your doctor if you have any other diseases or conditions that mean you shouldn't get certain vaccines, such as some types of cancer, skin conditions, neurological problems, heart disease, or liver disease. If your child has had a serious reaction to earlier shots, make sure you discuss with the doctor the pros and cons of giving him or her the rest of the shots in the series. If you've ever had an allergic reaction to a shot, let your doctor know. A doctor or pediatrician can provide guidance on the risks factors that both children and adults might need to consider.

Vaccinations have helped reduce the number of outbreaks of diseases » Standard-Times

on a personal note

i had severe reactions to both the rubella and flu vaccinations

just a friendly reminder

Vaccinations have helped reduce the number of outbreaks of diseases » Standard-Times

Vaccinations inject individuals with weakened versions of the bacteria or viruses that cause particular diseases.

this is NOT the case for the flu enoculum; the virus components in it are dead. period.

on a personal note

i had severe reactions to both the rubella and flu vaccinations

then don't get it. but most peopole saying they won't get a vaccination don't say that because they've had a reaction, they say it because of all the misinformation on the subject. i'm deathly allergic to nuts, but i don't go around recommending the majority who aren't allergic don't eat them.

if'n you need some links to support my assertions, by all means go find them before i. if not, i'll get to it presently. :gun4:

Hey, if half of Americans don't want it that is fine with me. It means I don't have to worry as much about shortages;)

Seriously though, it is not a whole new vaccine, it is basically a new strain of the flu.

Every year they do this and create a vaccine as new as the H1N1 vaccine as the flu virus constantly changes.

And Pam, when you are the one that brings up the danger of live vaccines, you can't exactly turn around and say what the vaccine is made of doesn't matter when it is show it isn't a live vaccine.

If that point truly didn't matter, please don't quote it.

Here in South Africa we've just passed our first (vaccineless) winter of swine flu, with total confirmed deaths at about 90. Number of cases is unknown, as few people can afford the tests, and they are not currently recommended for people in low risk categories anyway.

Some of my friends and relatives got it, and a few became really ill: My brother-in-law left work feeling perfectly fine, and could hardly totter to the bed by the time he arrived home. A friend became ill on August 30, has only recently been able to return to work, and is still not allowed to exercise or perform strenuous tasks.

Some local trends were noticed: Deaths seem to be disproportionately high among pregnant women, and be caused most often by severe lung damage. This is different from cytokine storm, the immune reaction that killed many young adults during the Spanish flu pandemic.

• 10 years later...

Absolutely!

And I would encourage those who think its all a hoax to get one too in order to slow its spread of the virus....although if there are limited supplies, those folks definitely should pass up a shot....Darwin will take it from there!

Quit worrying about your health. It'll go away,

Buffy

I am glad I never got a vaccine for the swine flu. And guess what I never got the swine. :lol:

It is very interesting to look at what was going on here during the swine flu in 2009. Now in 2020 with the Corona. Have a drink on me. :clap:

Nah, it's just part of the economic stimulus package: the news on teevee is reporting now that it's easier to find gold than it is to find hand sanitizer here in the Bay Area....

Fact is that the answer really ends up being "better safe than sorry".

There is a strong suspicion that due to the poor public health infrastructure in Mexico, all that's been reported is the proverbial tip-of-the-iceberg and many more cases and unreported deaths are still off the radar.

What's more scary is the very rapid spread of *confirmed* cases in the US. It still could be very mild, but when you're talking about a virus that we have no immunity for, it can very easily become 1918 all over again.

Sobering thought: just like in 1918, this Swine Flu seems to mostly kill healthy folks in their 20s and 30s, bypassing the old and young that are in that 36,000 per year of flu deaths in the US....

Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world,

Buffy

Darn this sounds the same as 2020. Seems nothing has changed since 2009.lol!

The swine flu is real, but the media hype appears to be tapping into the human fear of the unknown, to transfer a fear virus at epidemic proportions. If one puts the flu into perspective, like comparing the mortality to malaria, which takes more lives, there is an irrational tendency to make the lessor appear worse, due to collective unconscious processes that are triggered by the fear virus. Instead of a vaccine, maybe science needs to work on a chill pill, since the fear virus has infected tens of millions.

The next thing that comes to mind, is a strong fear virus provides an unconscious motivation to help move the herd. The situation is like there is one wolf among a herd of 10,000 sheep, with the entire herd starting to move because of the spreading fear. Once in motion, because of the fear virus, this is a good time to funnel the sheep down a chute so we can shear them for their wool.

Hmmmm sounds very familiar now. A man ahead of his time.