Science Forums

Swine flu: The new pandemic?

mynah

Human Swine Flu Cases With Unique Strain Raise Concern (Though The Possibility Was Mentioned Over A Year Ago)

By News Staff | April 26th 2009 12:00 AM | 3 comments | Print | E-mail | Track Comments

. . .

A new combination of genes

The viruses from the two patients are similar, and the majority of their genes, including the hemagglutinin gene, are similar to those of swine flu viruses that have circulated in US pigs since about 1999, the CDC reports. But the genes for the neuraminidase (NA) and matrix (M) proteins are similar to corresponding genes of Eurasian swine flu viruses.

"This particular genetic combination of swine influenza virus segments has not been recognized previously among swine or human isolates in the United States, or elsewhere based on analyses of influenza genomic sequences available on GenBank," the report states.

While there is no formal system for monitoring what viruses circulate in US swine, viruses with this combination of genes are not known to be circulating in the country, the report adds.

Testing is under way to learn whether the two viruses are susceptible to the neuraminidase inhibitor drugs oseltamivir and zanamivir.

Human Swine Flu Cases With Unique Strain Raise Concern (Though The Possibility Was Mentioned Over A Year Ago)

Can you please cite your sources mynah?

I found the following article which seems to indicate that it's on a decline.

The global swine flu threat is receding, but it could return in a far more deadly form in the fall.

The warning was given Monday by Dr. Margaret Chan, head of the 193-nation World Health Organization, in an interview with the Financial Times of London.

Chan warned that the swine flu virus known as H1N1 that caused the Mexico City-centered outbreak could return in the fall as a far more dangerous mutation.

After last week's warnings, school closings across the United States and the near shuttering of Mexico City, the current outbreak seems to have peaked.

Swine flu-HIV could devastate human race - UPI.com

Freezy, did you catch this one?

The four strands of the swine flu virus come from pigs, humans and birds. Experts believe that the virus mutated into its current form in the bodies of pigs. Health authorities are particularly worried that the capability to mutate already exhibited by the virus could eventually let it combine with the human immunodeficiency virus, which causes AIDS.

Can you please cite your sources mynah?

I found the following article which seems to indicate that it's on a decline.

I couldn't find the original two reports I read as they're on a news site that is constantly updated - but here is another:

WHO may call phase 6 alert

As for it becoming worse in the fall/autumn... In half the world, that would be right now! :)

I couldn't find the original two reports I read as they're on a news site that is constantly updated - but here is another:

WHO may call phase 6 alert

As for it becoming worse in the fall/autumn... In half the world, that would be right now! :hyper:

Calm down Mynah. We're all gonna die of something anyway. :eek: :) No but really. Going to phase 6 is not indicative of this getting "worse", rather it is simply a designation of how widespread the infection is. While it is possible that the current strain may mutate and pose a threat in the fall, for now the deaths in Mexico where this started have stopped for the past 4 days and in the US no new deaths either. The numbers we see going up have a lot to do with test results coming back and changing suspected cases to confirmed. :angel2:

I did catch the small mention of the H1N1 mutating with HIV.

Not enough details are given to interpret that though, not to mention worry about it.

I about burnt google up with that one and I couldn't find a single hint that such a thing was scientifically viable. I know virus' do occasionally swap genes but ever thing I found indicates they have to be closely related for this to happen as in one flu virus swaps genes while traveling through several hosts with another flu virus. No evidence that far removed virus' can or do swap that way.

the radio here (Taiwan) said that they were making a vaccine and had 200,000 planned by July. They are taking it very serious here, mostly because of what happened from SARS. they also developed a new test here that detects the first stage of the infection within hours. they test everyone in the airport now and plan to be giving vaccines soon to people like customs agents and other such people that deal with international traffic.

They are also tracking people down that have come from infected countries to test them. I saw on the news they quarantined a whole building in Hong Kong to test for it because one person on a flight that stayed there was sick.

the theory of distracting people from the recession (hell, this is probably boosting it through medical supply sales) may be a neat theory, but the fact that so many governments of countries, especially rich countries like US/CAN/Asian countries, are REALLY taking it serious. my mom works in blood testing in canada and they have all sorts of protocols and new things to do that has never happened in company history. here in taiwan, they are spending crazy amounts of money and basically not f'ing around at all.

I really have no clue if i should be worried and planning for 28 weeks type thing or not, but i do know at least locally it's not a joke adn the gov is taking it pretty serious.

i bought my alcohol soap :surprise:

• 2 weeks later...
Alcohol is an effective antidote? I'm taking immediate measures against swine flu, then.:kick:

Seriously, though, according to this update it is still spreading. Can't make out how it compares in severity with ordinary flu.

:soapbox: :oh_really: :whp-pssh: :protest: :Glasses: :angry:

Five deaths in the US now, contrary to your article, and the flu continues to spread. Time will tell I guess. :lightning

CDC H1N1 Flu

last updated May 15, 2009, 11:00 AM ET

... It’s thought that novel influenza A (H1N1) flu spreads in the same way that regular seasonal influenza viruses spread; mainly through the coughs and sneezes of people who are sick with the virus.

It’s uncertain at this time how severe this novel H1N1 outbreak will be in terms of illness and death compared with other influenza viruses. Because this is a new virus, most people will not have immunity to it, and illness may be more severe and widespread as a result. In addition, currently there is no vaccine to protect against this novel H1N1 virus. CDC anticipates that there will be more cases, more hospitalizations and more deaths associated with this new virus in the coming days and weeks. ...

Feverfew herb..

I'm going to start making tinctures now just in case... I'm not going to take any Baxterlab shots.. at least not right away.

:Glasses:

I got lots of seedlings sprouting where I want to plant veggies... Feverfew smells really good.

Feverfew herb..

I'm going to start making tinctures now just in case... I'm not going to take any Baxterlab shots.. at least not right away.

;)

I got lots of seedlings sprouting where I want to plant veggies... Feverfew smells really good.

I was watching an Oregon Public Broadcasting program this week on a Chinese herbal doctor living in Eastern Oregon in the late 1800's early 1900's. During the flu outbreak of 1918 there was a railroad crew working in the area and when the flu started getting to them the ol' doc rode out with an cauldron of herb brew and "everyone threw down" to quote an old man who was there. No one else got sick and the work went on. Ain't dat sumthin!?

>> OPB’s Oregon Experience: Kam Wah Chung Oregon150

still pretty serious, they are not messing around at all...still tracking it down. just a couple days ago they released a report saying that there may be a case here with it, but later found the people to be clean. but the gov got a lot of trouble for stating so because they say it causes too much concern about the public and were told to apologize.

Japan is in the news a lot here as well, apparently its on the rise.

one thing i found interesting is here: H1N1 Swine Flu Likely Already Infecting 100,000 Americans, Admits CDC by Mike Adams the Health Ranger

their entire website is pretty bias and not too scientific but they raised a great point about winter generally being times of greater risk of flu viruses. I am starting to take my herbs (mainly rieshi mushroom) religiously now just in case. i am not going to go for vaccines or pills, just cause i am paranoid. at least with herbs if it turns out to be nothing you may only break out in good health :woohoo:

on a side note i just re watched V for Vendetta. i may go out and buy a body suit now lol.