Science Forums

I just seen a star disappear?

geko

• 7 months later...

hey so it's 1am in Geneva at this moment, 5 minutes ago I went to my window and looked up as I saw it was a clear night and wanted to see the stars. as I look up I see a star looking object moving to the right not slowly but quite fast and 10 seconds or so after it starts to flicker and disappears and there's no sign of it anymore. I'm not to sure as to what this could be but I have in mind a meteorite even tho I'm not really sure how that's supposed to look like. do you know what this could've been?

hey so it's 1am in Geneva at this moment, 5 minutes ago I went to my window and looked up as I saw it was a clear night and wanted to see the stars. as I look up I see a star looking object moving to the right not slowly but quite fast and 10 seconds or so after it starts to flicker and disappears and there's no sign of it anymore. I'm not to sure as to what this could be but I have in mind a meteorite even tho I'm not really sure how that's supposed to look like. do you know what this could've been?

....****ratis, ****rant. 

How fast is fast?

It could very well have been an Iridium Flare or the ISS. Both are relatively fast-moving and have a tendency to wink in and then out of visibility.

The iridium satellites have highly reflective panels that, at the right angle, will reflect the sun. They will go from invisible to brighter than Venus in just a few seconds and then fade away again.

The ISS brightens and dims as it passes out of and then back into the Earth's shadow.

Both can be tracked (even retroactively) for your location at heavens-above.com.

There were passes of both over Geneva on or around that time, though you'd have to be specific about exact day and time to be sure.

Edited by DaveC426913

How fast is fast?

It could very well have been an Iridium Flare or the ISS. Both are relatively fast-moving and have a tendency to wink in and then out of visibility.

The iridium satellites have highly reflective panels that, at the right angle, will reflect the sun. They will go from invisible to brighter than Venus in just a few seconds and then fade away again.

The ISS brightens and dims as it passes out of and then back into the Earth's shadow.

Both can be tracked (even retroactively) for your location at heavens-above.com.

There were passes of both over Geneva on or around that time, though you'd have to be specific about exact day and time to be sure.

If you look back at this thread you may feel, as I do, that "ramos" is a sock of geko, somedanceforjoy, jeremyb, photonjunky etc etc and is just jerking our chains by pumping the thread periodically with a series of almost identical posts.

My personal bet is that is Gaiagirl/Frank Baker, but I can't prove it.

• 2 years later...

I was just oustide looking up at the sky and seen what i thought at the time was a disappearing star. It was a relatively bright one and as i was looking at it, it got dimmer and dimmer until it was gone. Took like 5 seconds or so to completely disappear from what i could see.

Star disappearring seems a little far-fetched i thought, so was thinking of ways that it could or couldnt have been but have no idea where im coming from really. How likely is it? Once in a lifetime i would imagine but dont know.

It wasnt the space station as that was in the sky at the same time. The star was kind of in the path of the satellite so i thought that maybe it was reflecting light off of something, and as the angles changed the light changed path and that's what i seen? No idea.

No clouds in the sky.

What do you make of it?

I have witnessed the same thing that you are describing here. I was star gazing and scanning the sky from my right to left when suddenly a star lit up real bright in the corner of my eye. It grabbed my attention rather quickly because I saw no bright star where this one was when I was looking in that direction. It got extremely bright so I thought, “what is that”, “what’s this star called”, so I reached for my phone to open an app to identify it. I was looking at the star the entire time, and as I brought my phone up, it suddenly began to fade and before I could raise my phone to see if it would tell me what it was, it just faded on out. Like it was never there. It was located just east of the ursar major constellation. I have never seen anything like it.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Good evening. I went on a search because the exact description the user geko uses it what I saw in the starry sky. I live in GA, USA, and it was in the SW direction a little above the horizon at 8:40pm. Saw this bright star (not unusually bright), but I noticed it slowly faded away. Not moving, but took it only 5 seconds. I stared to see if my eyes were just tired or if it came back. It wasn't an airplane (didn't move direction). 
What could this be? I feel like it was between Taurus, Cetus, and Eridanus, and Orion. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've  seen star that is so bright that disappeared this morning, at first i thought it is a north star because it so bright but im facing on EAST where sun shine and disappeared arround 3-5 secs and an interval of 20-30 secs another star brighten and disappear i dont know what is it but im amazed on what i saw...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I live in central Texas, and one starry, cloudless night a few years back, I was outside my parents house on their driveway smoking a cigarette and throwing something in the garbage can outside. As I was walking towards the trash, suddenly I got the random urge to look up at the night sky, to the north/northeast, and my eyes for some reason were drawn to two stars that were just above the eve of my parents’ roof, which resembled just regular stars, white in color and nothing extraordinary about them. As soon as my eyes locked onto the two plain looking stars, both of them, (one right above the other pretty much vertically) began to fade out at the exact same time, and the exact same rate, until they had completely vanished. This also, like the OP mentioned, took roughly 5 seconds, to go from regular bright, but not too bright, to nothing. It was weird as s*** and still have no explanation for it to this day.

Edited by HYPERSQUIRT

• 2 weeks later...

Hello..well my husband and I stepped out for a walk around 10:30pm tonight. As we were stargazing all of sudden a star appear brighter than Jupiter. Infact it was so bright it was casting a bright light in its surrounding. However, in less than 5seconds it got dim and vanished into nothing. At first I was like 'What's happening to Jupiter' all paranoid!! In seconds I realized Jupiter was towards my left and in place and this was something else!!

It was on northwest direction. And it wasn't moving. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just saw the same thing. It was bright like Venus would be at near sunset but this was at 410 am in the eastern sky. I use a star map app and the only thing I could think of that was in the sky according to the map would be a binary system. Thing is that it appeared bright but of nowhere and lasted for like 5 seconds and then started to get small til it disappeared. I was amazed but no time to record. Was bike riding at the time.

Edited by Jose