Science Forums

I just seen a star disappear?

geko

well.. the impossible is based on assumption it was a star.. could have been a... you know.. interstellar warp driven bus taking aliens home from very nice holidays among natives.. f*cked some wild life .. and we're outta here...  anyway.. i always look up.. this is the second time in my life i've seen smth strange in the sky..

• 2 months later...

I was living in the Adirondack mountains where the stars are very clear and bright at night.  One night I walked outside and noticed (at about a 60 degree angle from the horizon) a star that was noticeably brighter than the others.  There was no fluctuation in brightness...it was constant, never moved and this was a perfectly clear night.  I was looking directly at it for several minutes when it suddenly disappeared. None of the other numerous stars around it were affected so it could not have been cloud-cover.  Puzzled, I continued to watch for some time, but it never came back. I can only assume that it was a meteor that had a trajectory path directly inline with my sight-line so that it seemed to be static.  But still not sure.  

• 4 weeks later...

I witnessed this kind of event myself a few days ago and wanted to add to this thread.  What I saw looked just like a couple othera described in this thread.  I saw the event Oct 19, 2016 at approximately 5:50am EDT (+- 5minutes).  I live in rural NW Pennsylvania, it happened about an hour before dawn and the sky was clear.  I saw the "star" for about 15 seconds.  When I first noticed it it was about the same brightness and color as Jupiter and it remained completely stationary, it was not a satellite or airplane.  The "star" got dimmer and dimmer until my eye's couldn't make it out any longer. I guess it could have been a meteor but I have the same attitude as others, coming directly towards me???  What are the odds?  it was in Ursa Major.  Anyone else see it?

Here's a rough "map" showing the approximate location (i hope everything stays aligned!):

O

I just found this topic and thought I would add my own experience. It was just around a couple weeks ago, I can't remember the exact day. It was after 9 pm and I went outside. There weren't any clouds in the sky except off in the distance far from the incident. I was just looking at the sky and I saw two stars that were right next to each other. One was brighter than the other, and the bright one was about as bright as Jupiter on a clear night, the second star, as bright (maybe brighter) as Saturn on a clear night. I watched both of them, and its almost as if they were looking at me because as soon as I noticed them they both dimmed together and completely disappeared within 5-10 seconds. I watched the area for about 10 minutes and they never came back. I thought it was strange, and thought maybe it was a cloud. But even though it was dark, no clouds were apparent, and other stars nearby were still there. Planes can be ruled out, because it was two objects next to each other stationary, and lanterns I've seen many times, I don't even consider these possibilities because it was clearly two stars.

Also, about 7 years ago my friend and I witnessed a bright star, even brighter than Venus. It was in the same spot in the sky for a week, and we noticed it and how bright it was so it caught our curiosity. This was in the spring. At first I thought it was Venus, we both thought, but realized it was too bright. The brightness was like a low flying plane coming towards your direction. But it was stationary for a week. Anyway, after it remained so long we finally decided to get my friends telescope and set it up. This is when things got strange. It did nothing all week, but as soon as we were setting up the telescope it started pulsing. So we rushed to get the lenses right and focus, and we got it in the lens. We looked at it and in the telescope it resembled Venus. But unlike Venus it was pulsing, and it pulsed for around 3-5 minutes, each time it pulsed it got dimmer, and suddenly it just completely disappeared and never came back, we watched the sky for weeks after that. How could something brighter than Venus remain in one place for a week then pulse and completely disappear in less than 10 minutes? I watch the sky often, I've seen comets, I've seen satellites, the space station, asteroids, meteor showers, but I never seen something quite like these two events, and it seems like more and more people are seeing these things as well.

• 3 weeks later...

The disappearing star.

I've seen it twice, very recent in the last 2 weeks in the month of November 2016 .The first time my husband and I saw it, it moved liked a satellite but it moved from West to East in the night sky . We watched it thinking it was a satellite and then it dimmed very very quickly into blackness. A week later I saw the same thing only it had shifted more towards the north however still maintained a West to east projectory and faded and disappeared again.

I see satellites a lot , this was travelling in the wrong direction of the ones I normally see and it was quiet bright.

The disappearing star.

I've seen it twice, very recent in the last 2 weeks in the month of November 2016 .The first time my husband and I saw it, it moved liked a satellite but it moved from West to East in the night sky . We watched it thinking it was a satellite and then it dimmed very very quickly into blackness. A week later I saw the same thing only it had shifted more towards the north however still maintained a West to east projectory and faded and disappeared again.

I see satellites a lot , this was travelling in the wrong direction of the ones I normally see and it was quiet bright.

Hi, I witnessed a similar star like object. It was August 27, 2011 in Richmond, California around 9pm. While waiting for a cab, I looked up and saw 2 stars (both about the same size). After a minute, the star on the right started moving slowly toward the other star on the left. But right before it was about to hit the other star, it faded away and dissappeared. It was just a few seconds from the time it started moving before it vanished away.

I did all kinds of research back then, but never found one similar to what I saw. If ever you find any information as to what it was that you saw, please post it in this forum.

The disappearing star.

Hi, I witnessed a similar star like object. It was August 27, 2011 in Richmond, California around 9pm. While waiting for a cab, I looked up and saw 2 stars (both about the same size). After a minute, the star on the right started moving slowly toward the other star on the left. But right before it was about to hit the other star, it faded away and dissappeared. It was just a few seconds from the time it started moving before it vanished away.

I did all kinds of research back then, but never found one similar to what I saw. If ever you find any information as to what it was that you saw, please post it in this forum.

• 1 month later...

This has happened with me twice, I was looking at a bright star, then suddenly it started moving and it's light disappeared in 5 seconds just like you said. Both these incidents happened with me in last 30 days. I am still trying to figure out what did I saw.

You saw a plane coming towards you with its landing lights on, and which then veered off. Or you saw light reflected from a satellite.  

• 2 months later...

Looking at sky to the southeast of Orion's  belt ,no clouds and spotted a rather bright star. The brightness was undulating and eventually went completely dark for several 

seconds. It gradually came back to its original brightness.  It was not moving in the least. Never seen anything like it before. No plane for sure and had 2 other guys that saw it. Go figger?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Very interesting indeed. Like it has been said before, it's possible (unlikely, but possible).

If it was for 5 seconds long, you may have experienced the effect of light reaching you after a certain period of time. Light is the fastest thing known to man, however, it would take light approximately 100,000 years to get from one side of the milky way to another. So it's quite possible that the star wasn't even around when dinosaurs roamed the earth. It might have been out long before that but you saw its destruction now. The Star Wars films are very incorrect about their assumption on being able to see a planet explode at the exact time it exploded.

If you could provide more detail, I could give an even detailed explanation.

• 2 months later...

This reminds me of Mira, a variable star. It increases in size and decreases in luminosity (but the whole phase takes 11 months). There are other stars that do this - thehh are known as the Mira variables.

It probably isn't a variable star, but this is just what it reminds me of. It may just be some atmospheric optical illusion.

Limo

• 1 month later...

I had a similar experience a couple years ago. I was watching the stars with my cousin in west Florida and I saw a star moving across the sky, it wasn't blinking, it was bright white and didn't have a tail. At first, I thought it was a satellite but I checked and there were no satellites around at that time. So I forgot about it until about 30 minutes later when I saw a another star move but this one was dimmer than the last. A couple days later, I was watching a meteor shower with the same cousin but we were in Alabama this time. Maybe 30 minutes away from where we were before. I was watching the meteors and then I see another one of the stars again. I again checked for satellites around the area and again there was nothing around. I showed my cousin and she didn't see them at first but after about 2 or 3 more occurrences she finally saw them. We stayed out for another 2 hours and saw maybe 20 more. Anybody know what the "stars" might've been?

• 4 weeks later...

I JUST saw this very thing tonight at 9:06 pm!

I was looking up and this bright star (was not moving) I have an app that

let's me know when satellites and ISS pass over, so I'm kinda familiar with what I'm seeing.

Anyway I was looking up noticed this bright star and it kept getting brighter and brighter and it

wasn't the normal looking star. It got SO bright I was in awe. I couldn't take my eyes off of it.

Then it slowly flickered out and just disappeared. This all happened in a matter of 10-12 seconds.

I was like WTF? It was amazing!