Science Forums

The Power of Psycho hypnosis

JoeRoccoCassara

In the 1960 classic horror film "Psycho", a man named Norman Bates murders his mother and her lover. He was so overwhelmed by guilt when he did this, that he erased the murder from his mind, convinced himself that his mother was still alive and more maniacal than ever, he even made himself believe a false reality in which her lover died in a horrible way to please himself. "And the way he died, well I guess it's nothing to talk about while you're eating."

When I first saw this, I thought that the strength to manipulate reality in your own mind by will alone was horrific, and I thought, "Man, if only I could do that."

We all have horrific moments in our lives, in which not only do we blame the world for provoking it, but ourselves as well. Even a young and naive high school student like me believes that their lives are horrible, in fact, you are most emotional in high school.

And I've tried desperately to convince myself of a false reality, and I have failed. I continuously fail to convince myself of a reality that pleases me, like Norman did.

Is it possible to hypnotize your self in such a way without any outside help? To conceive a world of your liking in your own mind with will alone in the way Norman Bates did?

Is it possible to hypnotize your self in such a way without any outside help? To conceive a world of your liking in your own mind with will alone in the way Norman Bates did?

You could always try the other Norman's way; the Power of Positive Thinking. At the very least, you don't have to murder anyone. :(

Norman Vincent Peale Home Page

Peale confessed that as a youth he had "the worst inferiority complex of all," and developed his positive thinking/positive confession philosophy just to help himself. ...

The theme here is youth and there ain't nothin' you can do about it but wait for it to pass. :)

You could always try the other Norman's way; the Power of Positive Thinking. At the very least, you don't have to murder anyone. :(

Norman Vincent Peale Home Page

The theme here is youth and there ain't nothin' you can do about it but wait for it to pass. :)

No, I don't think some of the things I've done due to chronic something-I-don't-want-to-say is normal for a "boy" my age.

If people truly frown upon something you've done, than you can't talk to those particular people about it, and you're alone in trying to deal with it, in my case, if I ever could get to a therapist, my parents would have to know what I had done, and I just can't live with it.

Some "normal teenage behavior" is not the issue for me. And that's all I'm going to say about it.

Side-note, despite what I have just said, you didn't offend me, and I'm not frustrated with you.

But the issue in this topic is psycho hypnosis, so Norman Vincent Peale's manipulation of his mind has truly made him happy, but for some people, the only thing that would make them happy is if they were so convinced a crime they committed didn't happen, than they could literally come clean on a lie detector. I want that kind of power over my mind.

I understand what you're saying though, you don't have to murder someone to be crazy enough to make yourself happy no matter what, but what I'm saying is that for those select people, it might be too late, and they would need more than positive thinking.

I would take being happy without committing a moral sin over being happy afterward, but I don't have a choice anymore.

Guardamorg it's more likely that you are already manipulating reality to make your self unhappy, we all do it as teens, even the ones you think are living a perfect life are at their core as upset and unhappy as you they just hide it better. Once you hit about 25 you'll be able to look back and see what is really happening from that stand point and you'll wonder why you allowed your self to be that way. I remember thinking I was so uncool and no one wanted to be my friend but once I grew out of it i realized i had lots of friends and most people mistook my air of intense introversion as being cool! Things do change gardamorg, they will, just hang in there, concentrate on getting your education and things will fall into place. What seems yo be forever right now will sem like a very short time in a few years.

When I first saw this [the 1960 classic horror film "Psycho"], I thought that the strength to manipulate reality in your own mind by will alone was horrific, and I thought, "Man, if only I could do that."
Evidenced by this and other posts in this thread, Gardamorg, you appear to be suffering from several confusions and misperceptions.

First, “Psycho” is a work of fiction, not a documentary about real psychology or based on real people or events. It’s famous and critically acclaimed, but one shouldn’t take its Norman Bates character as an even vaguely accurate description of a psychotic person.

Second, in the real world, psychotics are, almost without exception, not happy. Psychosis is not a convenient “eraser” of unhappy experiences. Psychotics don’t “conceive of a world of their liking by will alone”, but rather are typically terrified by imagined fears, and unable to control obsessive thought about upsetting experiences. In the real world, they can rarely function well enough to maintain a normal appearance, and would almost certainly be unable to manage a hotel on their own, as Norman is depicted doing in “Psycho”. Norman’s state at the end of the movie, when he is confined in a catatonic stupor, is sadly a more accurate depiction of a psychotic than the rest of the movie’s.

Third, there’s no such thing as “psycho hypnosis”. One can’t be made psychotic through hypnotherapy or self-induced hypnosis. There are many common misunderstanding about what hypnosis is, and its effects, in large part due to spectacularly inaccurate fictional depictions of it. These misconceptions are too numerous to discuss in this post, so I encourage you to learn about hypnosis from reputable, non-fictional sources, such as the linked wikipedia article and its many linked references.

Almost everyone has memories he wishes he did not. However, though a combination of thinking about and working through them, alone and with the help of others, and gradually forgetting their more disturbing details, almost everyone is able to cope with them, and have happy, productive lives.

A final couple of notes: Gladamorg, you mention

… they [psychotics] could literally come clean on a lie detector.
First, psychotics are rarely good at deceiving trained investigators, such as police detectives. It’s very unlikely that a psychotic would be subjected to typical lie detection procedures, such as polygraphs, because preliminary questioning would reveal his condition to investigators, who would then conclude that nearly everything the psychotic says should be considered unreliable.

Second, many common lie detection procedures, in particular polygraphs, have been scientifically demonstrated not to work. In controlled experiments, trained testers tend to conclude that people they are told are lying about test questions are, while concluding that those they are told are not, are not. In real world situations, people such as respected nuclear weapon scientists spying for foreign governments have passed polygraph tests, while less respected but innocent people fail them.

The reliability of polygraphs is not only scientifically discredited, but legally. In US v. Scheffer (1998), a majority of the US Supreme Court wrote: "there is simply no consensus that polygraph evidence is reliable".

Despite their demonstrated inability to actually work, polygraphs remains valuable to private and police investigators, because many people are unaware they don’t work, and are inadmissible as evidence in US courts, so may confess to wrongdoings when threatened with testing.

Evidenced by this and other posts in this thread, Gardamorg, you appear to be suffering from several confusions and misperceptions.

First, “Psycho” is a work of fiction, not a documentary about real psychology or based on real people or events. It’s famous and critically acclaimed, but one shouldn’t take its Norman Bates character as an even vaguely accurate description of a psychotic person.

Second, in the real world, psychotics are, almost without exception, not happy. Psychosis is not a convenient “eraser” of unhappy experiences. Psychotics don’t “conceive of a world of their liking by will alone”, but rather are typically terrified by imagined fears, and unable to control obsessive thought about upsetting experiences. In the real world, they can rarely function well enough to maintain a normal appearance, and would almost certainly be unable to manage a hotel on their own, as Norman is depicted doing in “Psycho”. Norman’s state at the end of the movie, when he is confined in a catatonic stupor, is sadly a more accurate depiction of a psychotic than the rest of the movie’s.

Third, there’s no such thing as “psycho hypnosis”. One can’t be made psychotic through hypnotherapy or self-induced hypnosis. There are many common misunderstanding about what hypnosis is, and its effects, in large part due to spectacularly inaccurate fictional depictions of it. These misconceptions are too numerous to discuss in this post, so I encourage you to learn about hypnosis from reputable, non-fictional sources, such as the linked wikipedia article and its many linked references.

Almost everyone has memories he wishes he did not. However, though a combination of thinking about and working through them, alone and with the help of others, and gradually forgetting their more disturbing details, almost everyone is able to cope with them, and have happy, productive lives.

A final couple of notes: Gladamorg, you mention First, psychotics are rarely good at deceiving trained investigators, such as police detectives. It’s very unlikely that a psychotic would be subjected to typical lie detection procedures, such as polygraphs, because preliminary questioning would reveal his condition to investigators, who would then conclude that nearly everything the psychotic says should be considered unreliable.

Second, many common lie detection procedures, in particular polygraphs, have been scientifically demonstrated not to work. In controlled experiments, trained testers tend to conclude that people they are told are lying about test questions are, while concluding that those they are told are not, are not. In real world situations, people such as respected nuclear weapon scientists spying for foreign governments have passed polygraph tests, while less respected but innocent people fail them.

The reliability of polygraphs is not only scientifically discredited, but legally. In US v. Scheffer (1998), a majority of the US Supreme Court wrote: "there is simply no consensus that polygraph evidence is reliable".

Despite their demonstrated inability to actually work, polygraphs remains valuable to private and police investigators, because many people are unaware they don’t work, and are inadmissible as evidence in US courts, so may confess to wrongdoings when threatened with testing.

On that note, there was a Possession (Demon) case of Anneliese Michel, or Emily Rose.

Lets forget the religious implications and suggest that she was just mentally ill, if you are familiar with her case, do you believe that the Priests had a negative effect on her mind?

You state in this quote that in most cases psychotics are "typically terrified by imagined fears, and unable to control obsessive thought about upsetting experiences", and since Emily truly believed that she was possessed, wouldn't others who believed the same thing worsen her condition?

hey there Gardamorg, sounds like you are going through a rough phase right now, but it will change.

We all have horrific moments in our lives, in which not only do we blame the world for provoking it, but ourselves as well. Even a young and naive high school student like me believes that their lives are horrible, in fact, you are most emotional in high school.

What is horrible to one person may not be to another, it lies within your perception. We have all done regrettable things and it is often times hard to get past them. Can you let it go? Do not pass judgement on yourself, but allow yourself to be human and capable of making mistakes.

And I've tried desperately to convince myself of a false reality, and I have failed. I continuously fail to convince myself of a reality that pleases me, like Norman did.

you do not want a false reality, you need to deal with what is real and not run from it. Face it head on, and make the necessary arrangements to help you get through what ever is bothering you.

no

If people truly frown upon something you've done, than you can't talk to those particular people about it, and you're alone in trying to deal with it, in my case, if I ever could get to a therapist, my parents would have to know what I had done, and I just can't live with it.

your therapist does not have to tell your parents, what is going on with you, it can be confidential.Unless of course, you are a danger to yourself or others. Let your parents know that you are going through a rough time and just need someone to talk to.

But the issue in this topic is psycho hypnosis, so Norman Vincent Peale's manipulation of his mind has truly made him happy, but for some people, the only thing that would make them happy is if they were so convinced a crime they committed didn't happen, than they could literally come clean on a lie detector. I want that kind of power over my mind.

Absence of a memory does not equivocate to happiness.

I would take being happy without committing a moral sin over being happy afterward, but I don't have a choice anymore.

Well, i do not know what your moral sin is, but i do know what forgiveness is. I question your choice of words here-sin. Is it you or your religion that is passing judgement on you? Your religion would tell you to forgive yourself and not commit whatever immoral act again. Just forgive yourself and understand that you made a mistake. Whatever it was, do not do it again as it seems to be tearing you apart.

Lets forget the religious implications and suggest that she was just mentally ill, if you are familiar with her case, do you believe that the Priests had a negative effect on her mind?

yes

You state in this quote that in most cases psychotics are "typically terrified by imagined fears, and unable to control obsessive thought about upsetting experiences", and since Emily truly believed that she was possessed, wouldn't others who believed the same thing worsen her condition?

yes

Gardamorg, i do not know what you have done, but you must come to terms with it before it consumes you. Ask your parents to schedule an appointment for you. Most parents realize that their teenagers do not want to confide in them:) You are welcome to private message me if you like, i have 2 teenage sons, and believe me, there is nothing i haven't heard already;) take care

No, I don't think some of the things I've done due to chronic something-I-don't-want-to-say is normal for a "boy" my age.

Some "normal teenage behavior" is not the issue for me. And that's all I'm going to say about it.

Gardamorg,

Reading the little you have posted leads me to the conclusion whatever it is, its eating at you and its not getting better.

If you post what state you live in, I am sure someone here will try to find a walk-in counseling center where you dont have to have the school or your parents involved.

There are very strict laws on client confidentiality in most states (if not all).

The avenue you are exploring for yourself is a dead-end. It wont change the issue, but it will screw up your interactions with the people you know now, and the people you will encounter in the future.

Walk In Counseling Center - How Do I Chose A Therapist