Science Forums

Your Facebook Account

Racoon

Your simple Facebook account might be more than what you bargained for...

Everything you imput or upload is now Theirs!

Think of the ramifications..

I said years ago that CIA and NSA were prowling these places... I never had real trust in these "Networking" facilities.. I was right.

here are the new TOS - Terms of Service:

You hereby grant Facebook an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to (a) use, copy, publish, stream, store, retain, publicly perform or display, transmit, scan, reformat, modify, edit, frame, translate, excerpt, adapt, create derivative works and distribute (through multiple tiers), any User Content you (i) Post on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof subject only to your privacy settings or (ii) enable a user to Post, including by offering a Share Link on your website and (:) to use your name, likeness and image for any purpose, including commercial or advertising, each of (a) and (:Bump2: on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof.

Facebook’s New Terms Of Service: “We Can Do Anything We Want With Your Content. Forever.”

Just logged in to Facebook and got this message:

Over the past few days, we have received a lot of good feedback about the new terms we posted two weeks ago. Because of this response, we have decided to return to our previous Terms of Use while we resolve the issues that people have raised.

Seems you were not alone in your concerns. :)

How can they change their Terms of Agreement for people who already have an account? That doesn't make sense to me. Those aren't the terms I agreed to when I signed up, so how can they just change it like that?

Oh almost all the click throughs these days contain a clause of the form:

Licensee agrees that the Licensor retains the right to change the terms of this agreement at anytime without notice. Licensor agrees to provide the Licensee with the current terms of the contract online at <link>....

Hey, you can put anything you *want* in an agreement....

Leave each one his touch of folly; it helps to lighten life's burden which, if he could see himself as he is, might be too heavy to carry, :oh_really:

Buffy

A news report I saw on this last night mentioned Facebook was claiming that because people's stuff may be, and often is, already saved by other friends etcetera, the new clause was the same thing. If your friend saved that im-bare-assing photo you posted when drunk, then you deleting it the next day has not got it off the web.

Is nothing sacred? :oh_really:

If you do not agree with anything I appear to do, I'll not only appear to stop doing it, but appear to deny under affirmation that I ever apparently did it. ~Roger Thelonious George :phones:

Facebook harshly recants its change of policy to subdue the unpopular reaction from people who may have thought their info could be used against them.

Maybe, could be used later at a Military Tribunal!

Just Kiding Folks. I hope what they purport is true.

Facebook merely provides content and enablement for users to interact with friends and families around the world. Your information is quite secure. No harm done, no foul created.

:lol::eek2:

Yes, how do you think Facebook got the money to start and continue their site? The government gave them money to experiment with a information network of people. (thats what I heard).

Big Brother Is Watching

Big Brother Is Watching

Big Brother Is Watching

Big Brother Is Watching

Big Brother Is Watching

That seems like your typical conspiracy theory. Think about it. What good would it do the government? It's not as if terrorists are, or would be, networking on facebook. :)

That seems like your typical conspiracy theory.

do you mean typical conspracy, theory. or typical conspiracy theory. :-P

Think about it. What good would it do the government? It's not as if terrorists are, or would be, networking on facebook. :lol:

lol like I said, It was what I heard. It is plausible, somewhat. They wouldnt be looking for terrorists or anything, but they would have a network of people, where they live, their date of birth, religion, even sexuality and marital status.

lol like I said, It was what I heard. It is plausible, somewhat. They wouldnt be looking for terrorists or anything, but they would have a network of people, where they live, their date of birth, religion, even sexuality and marital status.

They already have all of that info through organizations such as social security and IRS. Well, except sexuality and religion...

• 2 weeks later...
Could someone please explain to me the reasons for having a Facebook account?

It's social networking. I used to think it was lame, but since I joined, I'm on it everyday!

I've found friends that I haven't spoken to in over a decade. You're able to keep up with all your friends without having to call them and ask what's new. On top of that, you can also post links, news, videos, music, and photos. There's also games on there that can be quite entertaining (anyone want to join my mafia?). For example, there's an application on there called lil green patch where you have a virtual garden. You send plants to your friends and each plant you send saves 1 sq. ft. of rainforest. The application has managed to save over 90 million sq. ft. of rainforest. There's also groups you can join, just about any subject you can think of has a group (eg biochar).

It's pretty neat. :)