Science Forums

[Announcement] Hypography Goes to the Zoo

TheBigDog

March 21st is the first day of spring. It marks the end of the northern winter and everything begins to turn green again. To celebrate the change of seasons I invite all the Hypography members in our global community to take the weekend of March 21st and 22nd to join me in taking a trip to the zoo. Then take the time to visit Hypography and share the story of your visit with words, pictures, video, or however you wish.

Zoos are science for everyone and they are located everywhere in the world, but each one is unique. How is a zoo in Australia different from a zoo in Austria? What animals are featured at a zoo in South Africa compared to those featured at a zoo in South America? Is your favorite a zoo of local or exotic animals? Or are the local animals exotic? Do you like the bugs and spiders, or the reptiles? Is it a working farm where you get educated about domestic animals, or a zoo full of endangered animals who are being raised to fight extinction? Maybe you go to an animal rescue park or a drive through safari. The choice is yours, the days are March 21st and 22nd.

I will be visiting the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo with the my boys. What zoo will you be visiting?

Bill

I was just talking about this with the boys last night. When we went to the zoo last year we counted the animals that we remembered at the end of the day and it was over 100. This year we are setting a goal of getting pictures of over 100 different types of animals. In fact I will up the stakes. We are going to get pictures of 120 types of animals. (bugs count)

Bill

Can it be ... oh say a Wildlife Area instead? I would rather spend a saturday at Crex Meadows than in Apple Valley at the zoo. Besides, maybe Z would be thinking of doing Apple Valley.

A wildlife area would be great. Just more of a challenge to find the critters. I look forward to your always top notch pics, Cedars.

• 2 weeks later...

some even let me take pics with them, others run away though... afraid of the camera noises...

It's a special zoo, you can see the entire evolutionary history of humans from ape-like mamals such as Australopithecus on Monday morning to homo sapien on a good week, by 5pm on Friday.

Great idea for a global outing. But my nearest zoo is 400km away in Cape Town and with the current oil price a bit expensive to visit for a day trip. :D

I will however try and get some photos of all the larger mammals and some birds, that I can see within say 20km radius of my home. (Watch this space)

Great idea for a global outing. But my nearest zoo is 400km away in Cape Town and with the current oil price a bit expensive to visit for a day trip. :D

I will however try and get some photos of all the larger mammals and some birds, that I can see within say 20km radius of my home. (Watch this space)

That would be fantastic. Consider it "Global Fauna Appreciation Day" with an obvious bias toward available zoos. If you can get shots of wildlife, all the better.

Glad to have you participating!

Bill