Science Forums

UFO evidence

Moontanman

There is no doubt we should always be skeptical, No matter how good the evidence is to not question it in some way always leaves us open to being fooled. I used to have a great deal of respect for the various skeptics but the more I see and hear from them the more I realize they are just as close minded as the true believers that see ever stray light in the sky as an alien space craft.

Far too often skeptics dwell on easily refuted sightings and ignore those that are less easily explained simply by assuming them to be too good to be true. I could easily hoax a UFO sighting, does that mean if I report one it should be assumed to faked? I hope not.

I honestly believe that somewhere between the true believer and the absolute skeptic lies the truth. If any sort of debate is to take place about evidence we should start out as neutrals and let the evidence guide us. Not a preconceived notion of "it has to be real" or "it cannot be real" Anything less than neutrality and the end result is always suspect.

• 1 month later...
You might like to see the work written by V.M. Rabolu: the book "Hercolubus or Red Planet" that Alcione Association is sending for free to everyone interested.

You can get information, see a video and also request a free copy at hercolubus tv site

That work gives evidence of intelligent extraterrestrial life.

I looked that up and I see absolutely no evidence this is going to happen. I can claim almost anything with out evidence and this particular idea seems to be totally bereft of any supporting evidence what so ever.

The video showing Symington is a little misleading. There were 2, not 1 UFO sighting that night. The mystery then and now comment is simply wrong on both accounts. The video shows the second sighting. Symington is talking about the first sighting. Great news crew right?

The second sighting as Symington agrees is due to the Air Force dropping flares well to the south of Phoenix.

So what about the first? Those lights were checked out by someone with a telescope in Prescott AZ. They were seen to be planes flying in formation. The time of that observation makes sense with the time that the lights were seen over Phoenix. The direction, speed, and time difference between the 2 observations agree.

Neither UFO sighting was out of the ordinary. just another case of mistaken identity.

What gives UFO folks a bad taste in my mouth is exemplified by the Buzz Aldrin video. The interview ends with a partial story. Aldrin's words are cut off in mid story. What you are not allowed to hear is Aldrin recounting how he thought he was seeing a part of the spacecraft, an adapter panel. Instead, the narration goes on to state that the sighting was never positively identified.

To cut off an explanation is misleading. The narration although true is misleading.

• 3 weeks later...

The perpetrators of the UFO hoax in New Jersey have posted videos showing the way that they performed the hoax. What is interesting is that some people clearly saw that it was a hoax. The hoax was done to see how gullible people were. Using simple tools, in this case binoculars, police saw balloons drifting along with road flares dangling beneath them. Other people said there was no smoke (naked eye observations). More evidence was "definitely not a plane". MUFON says that they tested road flares and than was an implausible explanation.

Here are 3 links that show how to see if people are gullible.

How We Staged the Morristown UFO Hoax, Part 1: The Setup http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=9022371226156483716

How We Staged the Morristown UFO Hoax, Part 2: The Launches http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=8751090888158148535

How We Staged the Morristown UFO Hoax, Part 3: The Reactions http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=4754561190713590190

Well this is like the Crop Circle hoaxers in the UK, who claimed to have carried out most of the UK's incidents in the eighties, I believe it was. They showed their crude method and were believed by the sceptics but not the believers. Looking at their methods, I doubt they created anything but the most simple designs. Do I believe the hoaxers here necessarily did what they did, 'when' they said they did either? What is the evidence, where are the independent witnesses to back their claim? Am I saying that they are lying? No, it's quite possible that they are telling the truth. What I am saying is that they were poorly organized in their attempt to prove that they did what they claimed they did, on the night in question. Like the hoaxed Loch Ness Surgeons photo, where little doubt exists that the perpetrator did what he did, we still have the fact that hoaxes are based on an original phenomena, so that specific incidents might be called into question but not the whole subject itself of UFO's, Crop Circles, Lake Monsters and Sea Serpents, Yeti etc.;)

Paige, crop circles are man made, all of them, every last one. Yes the two guys made mostly simple designs but there were literally hundreds of people who contributed to the crop circle craze. some of them have demonstrated how the most complex and outrageous circles were made. I have seen the films of these demonstrations. it was amazing how simple it was to make really fantastic designs. I don't think that crop circles are in any way shape or form evidence of any thing other than people's desire to fool others.

I have got to the point of finding it very difficult to believe anything when it come to UFOs. There is a hand full of very strange sightings with an embarrassment of evidence that cannot be explained by anything other than something really unusual but even that doesn't guarantee an alien space craft. One of the first astronauts has been interviewed where he said he saw a disk shaped craft land a US air base and he filmed it. The film was confiscated and never seen again. I have to believe this must have been some sort of secret US air craft and not a alien space craft (if it's true)

I have to say that the possibilities are dwindling fast.

1. What we think we know about how the universe works is so totally off base our science cannot possibly be even close to correct in it's description of the reality all around us.

2. There is an alien presence in our solar system, possibly a colony that doesn't require planets and is possibly using the resources in our solar system in some way beneficial to them.

3. They are time travelers, (see number one)

4. All UFOs are misidentified man made or natural phenomena or hoaxes

Would any one like to suggest another possibility?

There are many amazing things on this planet of ours that are found every once in a while. It astonishes everyone when a new large mammal is found. It astonishes everyone when a living fossil is found. Sometimes mummies or remains of ancient humans are found by lay people. Comets certainly are found by amateurs. Fossils are found by individuals.

These are all examples of large things someone can find without the aid of special sophistocated equipment. With all of the eyes out there I'd expect to see something better. Maybe there are unexplained interesting phenomena going on. Maybe an amateur can figure out something interesting here without resorting to the claim of ETs, ghost, time travelers (like that idea Moontanman), or something supernatural.

Paige, crop circles are man made, all of them, every last one. Yes the two guys made mostly simple designs but there were literally hundreds of people who contributed to the crop circle craze. some of them have demonstrated how the most complex and outrageous circles were made. I have seen the films of these demonstrations. it was amazing how simple it was to make really fantastic designs. I don't think that crop circles are in any way shape or form evidence of any thing other than people's desire to fool others.

You know this because....?

Doug and Dave claimed it but you obviously were God as you actually saw them all being made? This is an opinion backed up by what evidence? This is bias based on the wish not to investigate the phenomena further but that is your choice. I don't know what caused the crop circles because I wasn't there. This is the philosophical stance - I didn't witness something so I can only speculate, not know (personal experience is the only thing you can be sure of but even the senses can get it wrong - second hand news has to be doubted because you can't be sure what others saw or 'say' they saw (could have lied)). What I do know is that this phenomena may have occurred long before Doug and Dave were around. It occurred on another continent as well (Australia) and there it was called Mares Nests, if I remember rightly and formed in reed beds. As for these pictograms being a language - I see no evidence of this (artwork, yes - message/ language, no).

Just because i didn't see the truck that made the tracks in my driveway is no reason to assume it as an alien truck. If you want to believe crop circles are mysterious be my guest but I require some evidence and evidence is severely lacking in this case.