Science Forums

Never a perfect society......

buddyzen

One of my friends and i have discussed how all societys have failed in succeeding to their potential ecept rome before ceazer took power but as for societys failing they are also destroying the planet. First off i proposed the idea of a society with no rules we argued about it for a very long time he thinks that there has to be rules but then i thought if you have rules then nothing can be perfect. The one problem with a rule is they can be broken. There are alot of stupid rules in america becuase people always want power. I think that The world would be a much better place if everyone resorted to no rules and one currency ...... NOT PAPER! ..... and last of all 1 universal language .. yes some of you may say that those are rules but you could always not do any of those but what will you do if you don't conform to society it is your option but whatever.

My last thing was that the onlyway to save our planet earth was to just stop all technology in general, that is the only reason that we are destroying the planet .. polution can only happen from technology. Recycling does not really work Because That also requires to polute to recycle it is like a Giant energy chain That ALWAYS.... causes Polution...... I am not a global warming nut job and i am not a retard that does not egnolige it and call it climate change.

So everyone please i would love to hear your opinions....

Ps. please excuse my spelling mistakes.

hi Buddy,

If there were no spelling rules, then i would not need to excuse your mistake.Nor could i possibly understand what you are trying to say:) Without rules, chaos rules.. you might want to do some more thinking on this. For example, without technology, what would happen to hospitals. Without hospitals and vaccines and such, what would happen to mankind.The earth may fare better without technology, but its inhabitants would not.

Without technology, there would be no Hypography;)

yes but is humanity that greedy when they would rather survive their life time longer than their whole race being extinct???? and also spelling mistake lol nice try to find a flaw in my theory but i said society not language a rule in language does not bind anyone to anything you can speek it however you want it is just a guidline

When you throw out all the rules for spelling, punctuation, grammar, sentence structure, verb tenses and whatever ---

you just make it that much harder to communicate. Your ideas are conveyed fuzzy, blurred, ambiguous.

Your readers have to work harder, a LOT harder, to figure out what you mean.

Of course, when it becomes TOO difficult, your readers disappear and go elsewhere.

Bye

One of my friends and i have discussed how all societys societies have failed in succeeding to their potential ecept except rome Rome before ceazer Caesar took power but as for societys societies failing they are also destroying the planet. First off i proposed the idea of a society with no rules ...

So everyone please i would love to hear your opinions....

Ps. please excuse my spelling mistakes.

first things last. no excuse for your spelling because if you know you made mistakes and don't correct them, then i (and perhaps other readers) have a reason to lessen trust in you. :hyper: :smart: :)

the idea of society with no rules is called anarchy and it has been kicked around by people for centuries. :) Anarchy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Opinions:

Technology has the potential to solve a lot of problems. In a perfect world we could have 99% of the worlds energy supply come from free energy sources like the wind, waves, geothermal, and solar radiation. And 99% of the time use those sources as opposed to alternatives. And for the other energy generators we could refine them to operate extremely cleanly so that pollution can be more or less neglected.

The earth itself is a pretty dirty piece of work.

For example take a look at some of these photos of the active volcanoes around the planet.

Image 1

image 2

Tehcnology is a promising thought, in a kind of science fiction type of example, and possibly with the right leadership and whatever else that might influence a peaceful relationship amongst countries such a perfect world might start to emerge.

Human potential is far beyond Human behavior. History shows that once the ball gets rolling and examples are set people catch on and really can change, and really can reach a great potential.

I agree with you unified ideas.. Culture is a precious thing, but it diversity can cause a lot of destructive problems. It would be more efficient to have liek u say a universal language and things like this. And a time may come where this happens, but I don't think any drastic changes will occurr without giant powerful slaps in the face. Huge loss, disasters, famines, and things like thsi are some of the only things that tends to break peoples addictions to the everyday hummmmm of progess and ignoring a problem exists.

I beleive there may be a choice for mankind to choose. I think failure and destruction is inevitable. We use more than we produce, and waste. The equation is simple, one day shortages occur, problems arise and people get desperate. Everything mankind has worked towards could be lost.. Just like those library books in the city of alexandria, talked about in another post.. whether true or not.. knowledge, and all things could be taken down a serious notch.. At which point.. who know.. maybe back to the old crusader days or something..

That is not my main point my main point is that we are destroying our only livable planet and if we do not do as drastic measures as that then our fate is inevidable .................... Even possibly in my lifetime.......................

your fate, my fate, their fate, is inevitable no matter what. nothing is perfect in any lifetime. :shrug:

To be, or not to be: that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,

And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;

No more; and by a sleep to say we end

The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks

That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation

Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;

To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,

Must give us pause: there's the respect

That makes calamity of so long life;

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,

The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,

The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,

The insolence of office and the spurns

That patient merit of the unworthy takes,

When he himself might his quietus make

With a bare bodkin?

That is not my main point my main point is that we are destroying our only livable planet and if we do not do as drastic measures as that then our fate is inevidable .................... Even possibly in my lifetime.......................
Very readable! :)

Your point is well taken. Back in the 60's, this guy Ehrlich wrote The Population Bomb. http://www.amazon.com/Population-Bomb-Paul-R-Ehrlich/dp/B000EI3XOS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231438814&sr=8-3

I remember it stirring up a hornet's nest of controversy. There were those who felt we should do something about over-population and resource-consumption NOW, and others who screamed that Ehrlich was a psycho idiot who should be hanged. You will find a lot of food for thought in his book---he basically mirrored your concerns, and provided a lot of facts that you may not have.

It's been 40 years since I read it. But basically he predicted that there will come a partial extinction event in the late 20th Century. Mankind would "survive" of course, but the world in which we live would be totally different than the one we live in now, and quite barren by comparison.

Well, his disaster did NOT occur. And nobody did anything about his warnings. Nobody even wanted to think about it. And by the 70's everybody had forgotten Ehrlich and his book. :shrug:

More interesting facts about Ehrlich's warnings here.

Here's a fascinating critique of Ehrlich's book that rips it to shreds.

Conclusion: we may in fact be in for some rough times ahead, but do NOT count on humanity just marching over the cliff like a bunch of lemmings. There will be disease and starvation (as always). There will be work-arounds, technical break-throughs and changes in civilization (as always). The future will be neither Star Trek nor Mad Max. As always, it will be something that nobody expected. I encourage you to go out there and work for a better world. Take on a cause. Good luck.

I'm not sure who this post was replied towards... If your new to forum's and the whole situation of writing in a more professional manner, I totally understand where you are coming from. There is all these rules, methods, and tricks we're not used to when going 'online' to 'discuss' like you would with a friend. My point here is, I am glad you are around, and sharing some thoughts, and I'll be glad to help in anyway I can. :shrug:

I'm not sure who this post was replied towards... If your new to forum's and the whole situation of writing in a more professional manner, I totally understand where you are coming from. There is all these rules, methods, and tricks we're not used to when going 'online' to 'discuss' like you would with a friend. My point here is, I am glad you are around, and sharing some thoughts, and I'll be glad to help in anyway I can. ;)

fumble! i got it!! :evil: :) there is nothing new about writing in a professional manner. writing is talk made professional. above you used 'is' when 'are' is correct, but even with 'are' it is a passive structure and has no place in professional writing. well, at least from a professional writer's view.

nothing gains perfection in a society, but we have no excuse or reason for not trying to nudge it in that direction. lead, follow, or get out of the way. :shrug:

Thanks for the tips Turtle. I am no grammar expert, and I honestly do not even try to act like one. lol.. (its something I would actually like to work on).

My focus was strictly referring to the forum methods of communications. Um, simple spacing and whatever. Nothing major, It's just that forums can be some what of a new thing for communicating.

(I just wanted to make that clear, that I'm not uh....you know.. messin with anyone :) )

Thanks for the tips Turtle. I am no grammar expert, and I honestly do not even try to act like one. lol.. (its something I would actually like to work on).

My focus was strictly referring to the forum methods of communications. Um, simple spacing and whatever. Nothing major, It's just that forums can be some what of a new thing for communicating.

(I just wanted to make that clear, that I'm not uh....you know.. messin with anyone ;) )

of course; who here would mess with anyone? :hyper: i agree the net is new and still forming up protocols. in fact, i think it's changing the world like nothing ever has. leveling the playing field, or making the world flat (again?) to borrow a phrase from another writer without attribution.

young buddyzeen's questions are what we all ask when we're (is that we are or we were?) young, but for us pre-webites it seldom went farther (further?) than that small group of friends or perhaps a classroom. cat's out of the bag now biotches. :cat: :eek: another pandora's box? what? another attempt at perfecting society run amok? time will tell, just like before. :googleit:

The planet? We are destroying the planet? I can guarantee you that the planet will survive longer than you. You can deal with the spelling and grammar at the pace of your choice. I would like to touch on the point that the planet is somehow in jeopardy from the antics of mankind, and that technology is doing more harm than good.

A) The planet is 4,500,000,000 years old. Men have managed to populate all of the planet in the past 10,000 years or so. The population of men was negligible until the past 100 years. The population explosion has come not from runaway breeding but from extended lifespan. We are evolving into more capable survivors. Unlike other apex creatures, we consciously adapt and evolve. We are not subject to the seemingly random selection of purely biological evolution which takes generations to change. We adapt within a generation through the miracle of our intelligence and scientific understanding of our environment. It is this ability to adapt, along with the robustness of the human animal that makes me doubt that we possess the capability of destroying ourselves completely - including nuclear holocaust scenarios.

C) The planet has had complex life for 300,000,000 years or so. 99%+ of all the species who have populated the earth are now extinct, and have been since before modern man has walked the earth. Death of a species seems as inevitable as the death of an individual animal.

2) The days of the planet earth are in fact numbered, but not by the threat of man. Given enough time planetary calamity will rain down from the sky. The earth is a sitting duck with abundant gravity. How might these disasters driven by the inevitability of orbital mechanics be averted? The only hope is to have an understanding of the forces and the technology to effectively influence them. The only hope for that that the earth has spawned to this point is the technology of intelligent man. Even if man is to do this perfectly or the earth is simply lucky enough to avoid such a disaster we eventually reach a time where the earth will be swallowed up by our sun as it dies from consuming its own mass and expands into a red giant that engulfs the part of the solar system that we find so temperate today. The only hope for the continuation of any of the life on earth is for it to leave our planet and seed itself on another celestial home. How is this to happen without intelligence driving technology to master the forces of interstellar travel? Should we then just resign ourselves to the fate of those who have no choice in the matter, or should we leverage our gifts of intelligence and our creative engineering capabilities to insure that the legacy of the earth's progeny outlive the planet from which they sprang?

IV) In 1988 I was out playing paintball in the Poconos when I was stung several times on the wrist by brown hornets. I had been awake for over 30 hours having worked a 16 hour shift the day before, and then up all night at a party. My arm swelled up and I was dizzy, and it hurt like hell. I was taken to the hospital and given a shot of Benedryl by a very cute nurse. I was about 175,200 hours old when that happened. One might have thought that the hornet sting was going to do me in. It sure hurt like hell, and the swelling was scary. For about two hours I had people very worried about me, but I was never in any real danger. So, I am now 350,400 hours old. The excitement of the hornet sting is just a distant memory, and as dramatic as it may have been, is now nothing more than a footnote in history, long since rendered meaningless by the passage of time.

Name a crisis. Any crisis. No matter how bad the pain or scary the swelling, It is just as meaningless as the hornet sting I had 20 years ago in the ultimate tale of the lifetime of mankind.

Bill

you know i have horrible spelling and typing habbits

i even sometimes leave the toilet seat up

(notice i rarely use capitol letters)

Now, I could, just for the sake of it, use complete sentence structure.

but then arn't we just reverting to the old ways

i could write every post in essay form

but by the time i get started my inspiration is gone

as far as tecknology goes, it is the shiznit

the more we communicate the better

you know i have a friend from germany that married my friend from kuwait

and they are both into the space industry

imagine that

now as far as pollution and stuff i would be the first to say holy sh$t

Rainbow Family of Living Light Unofficial Home Page

but we have solutions availible

we just have to put them to use

you know there are generators that teather to the ocean floor being developed

that have fish protection and generate electricity from the ocean current

we are working on this

(although there is a rumor going around that if you don't use correct conjugation of verbs on the internet you will be under watch by interpol)

but the level of communication that computers allow and the disspelling of so much bullshit, and the availibility of a resource such as wikipedia

i think humanity will lose a certain level of stupidity

and then (hopefully this generation), we prevent the current models that are foretold by the supercomputers

[{(supercomputer - prognosticator of prognosticators [lol] )}]