Science Forums

Is homosexuality unnatural?

Moontanman

I am trying to make the distinction between natural and synthetic gays.

Try a different analogy:

Synthetic gay = married man/woman dating single people. Mix it up with single person Knows about marriage and single person does not know about marriage.

Then wonder about the effects on the various parties.

I am trying to make the distinction between natural and synthetic gays. It is naive to think no person can pretend to be gay. Gays had to pretend to be heterosexual many years back. They married and had children and went through all the motions. They made this choice because of the pressures and the social circumstances. It was not free choice but still a choice. The opposite is happening, nowadays. There are still natural gays, but also synthetic ones due to the social circumstances.

Those who follow the cutting edge of fashion would wear a potato sack if it was considered cutting edge. It is not exactly free choice, but it is the choice needed to run at the front of the fashion herd. In an attempt to increase acceptance of gays, we are marketing this in a way that says, all is natural, even if this is false. If we stopped the marketing campaign, it would deflate back to the natural gays, who don't need to be sold on who they are.

If you made prostitution legal and marketed that, we would also get a change in state within the population. If you said anything negative, we could say that means you are a prosto-phobe and really want to rent one. If females don't get into the business they are in denial and are john-o-phobes. After we mess people up one would expect the rate of suicide to increase in the synthetic population. That is my concern. Nothing against natural gays, but the synthetic are at risk.

You make some interesting assertions about peer pressure and group dynamics. I don't suppose you could support them, could you? The rules here require that you be able to do so if necessary.

Thanks.

--lemit

I was making a distinction between natural and synthetic homosexuality. Some of the earliest debates were between homosexuality being a mental condition versus due to natural or genetic causes. Science seems to lean toward genetic. But the science never said, all forms of gay behavior, are genetic.

As an analogy, some people are said to have genes that create a propensity toward alcoholism. But choosing to have a drink does not mean one has the drunk gene. They are two different things, with the first genetic and second due to reasons connected to choice.

Humans have free will and choice, with choice being impacted by culture, peer pressure, marketing, etc. This is where natural homosexual arguments start to break down, and mental arguments play an increasing role. This is the synthetic side. In the example above, one can become a drunk, even without the drunk gene. All one needs to do is form a habit, and you may not be able to tell the difference between them and someone with the drunk gene.

I was curious about the relative proportions of natural and synthetic or matter and mind. Does anyone have an estimate? Maybe once the illusive gay gene is found we could get some hard numbers.

I was making a distinction between natural and synthetic homosexuality. Some of the earliest debates were between homosexuality being a mental condition versus due to natural or genetic causes. Science seems to lean toward genetic. But the science never said, all forms of gay behavior, are genetic.

As an analogy, some people are said to have genes that create a propensity toward alcoholism. But choosing to have a drink does not mean one has the drunk gene. They are two different things, with the first genetic and second due to reasons connected to choice.

Humans have free will and choice, with choice being impacted by culture, peer pressure, marketing, etc. This is where natural homosexual arguments start to break down, and mental arguments play an increasing role. This is the synthetic side. In the example above, one can become a drunk, even without the drunk gene. All one needs to do is form a habit, and you may not be able to tell the difference between them and someone with the drunk gene.

I was curious about the relative proportions of natural and synthetic or matter and mind. Does anyone have an estimate? Maybe once the illusive gay gene is found we could get some hard numbers.

So, . . . did you mean "elusive" or "illusory" or some other word?

Did you happen to read the abstracts I posted a week or so ago? Several genetic and prenatal indicators of sexual preference have been identified--nothing so simple as a "Gay Gene." There is also no "Straw Man Gene," which is what homophobes seem to be hoping for.

So once research I've posted has been disproven--and I have a couple dozen other sources I can cite if the ones I've already cited aren't enough--then you'll be ready to start trying to find some research of your own.

So little time. So little effort.

--lemit

This thread has become nothing more than a show of emotions. All pertinent information lending itself to show how natural homosexuality is, has become lost in a sea of opinion. If anyone has any additional information and supporting links to show how homosexuality is naturally occurring in both nature and man, please feel feel to start a new thread. This one is closed