Science Forums

Travelling at the speed of light

SxS

This topic has been some matter of discussion between me and my friends for quite some time now. Does anyone have any input into the argument that one day man will be able to travel the universe at the speed of light or even faster.

I'd go with antigravitators or however you call them in english, there was a project back in the communism in Eastern Europe in which a bulgarian prof. was in charge ( prof. Manev) and he came up with an antigravity theory which his was able to apply and actually build a antigravity spaceship only when the communism broke...he couldn't really finish the project, but what he stated a week ago was that if somehow someone renews it he can buld it within 5 years with a group of engineers and it could travel the whole universe within minutes (I didn't really buy that). Anyways I think that's one way of traveling "fast".

Refering to your speed of light question it's kind of hard to do that, maybe if you add acceleration of the gravitational field of the Earth of 1g (9.81 m/s per second), that would make your speed (adding the speed of light) about 30,000,000 seconds of traveling to lets say the nearest galaxy to us (Andromeda) or something ( it's about 254 days) but on the earth it would 2.2 million years, because the universe ages differently.