Science Forums

Video games and learning

Moontanman

it seems to me that video games can and should be a valuable learning tool. From numbers and spelling games for preschoolers to advanced logic type games for older kids. I have read a lot about the game "Spore" If half of what has been written about it is true it would seem to have potential as a teaching tool. Has anyone here been playing this game? I would love to do so but my computer isn't even close to being up to par. If anyone does play it let's hear about it and if it could be a teaching tool.

• 2 weeks later...

I have spore...

the aim of the game ?

You are given a cell, add parts to it to make it survive the world :hihi:

Grow jaws and claws, to kill and eat weaker cells ( beautifully put in graphic detail) :eek:

Then grow it into a creature.

Make friends or foe

eat your friends or foe.:)

grow and form a tribe.

make friends or foe.

kill your foes.

Advance to a civil world.

create vehicles(land, sea, air)

make friends and foes.

Buy your friend's cities, destroy your foe's.

Create a space-craft

make friends and foes.

Buy your friend's planets, destroy your foe's.

Search for a lost--civilization.

butcher animals to !@%^&**(*. with your laser

Blast everyone into oblivion with your missiles

erase memories of those who try to oppose you. :hihi:

suck all resources from your allies, and back-stab them by making war on em.

steal things from planets.

My My..How educational.

If children play this, they'll get the message of brotherhood, peace, and the value of freindship.

the next generation is going to be a one that leave blazing trails and golden foot-steps to follow. :hihi:

TBA

but it a useless game when it is to be used for teaching.

The gist is that you create a creature and make it go through all walks of life.

i would give it a thumbs down

TBA

ok guys i grew up in the world of technology :) my dad had me do something called reader rabit when i was a kid it is a very cool game that teaches you reading and english skills i had another game that did math and everything but i forget what it was called it was like skool something it was pretty cool if i can remember well lol... well it got me this far :doh:

• 12 years later...
On 12/22/2008 at 8:16 AM, Moontanman said:

it seems to me that video games can and should be a valuable learning tool. From numbers and spelling games for preschoolers to advanced logic type games for older kids. I have read a lot about the game "Spore" If half of what has been written about it is true it would seem to have potential as a teaching tool. Has anyone here been playing this game? I would love to do so but my computer isn't even close to being up to par. If anyone does play it let's hear about it and if it could be a teaching tool.

"Paying" For Video Content - Let Me Count The Ways
Ben Grossman summed it up well last month writing, “Last year, the TV industry discovered [sic] a variety of new ways to deliver their shows - on iPods, on video phones, even online. This year, they vow to figure out how to make money off of them.”

In this context, its interesting to note, like this Media Daily News article did, that In the flurry of VOD deals that have been announced by major media companies, only one deal has been structured in which consumers could download with no fee.” The high-profile initiatives, like those with NBC and iTunes, have all been pay-per-unit pricing. But these endeavors havent really been significant money-makers to date, with NBC U [saying] that it will only generate about $10 million from iTunes sales in 2006or the rough equivalent of ad revenues for one typical Thursday night on NBC.”

These results, along with surveys reporting that consumers prefer ads to VOD fees have some saying that the right way to offer downloadable digital video content is through an ad-supported model.

Kenneth Musante writes, “One of the exciting things about the rise in broadband use and the decline of television is the potential for free video entertainment online. Wait... let me rephrase... free ad-supported video entertainment online. Premium commercial-free video content is fine too, but a majority of people arent going to want to pay to watch video.”

However, in the long-term, I believe that well see an array of sustainable digital video pricing models emerge. In the same as analog television today, we have ad-supported pricing (broadcast), ad-supported plus subscription (cable), pay-per-use (pay-per-view and DVD). Models break out for other media as well, like print (which has free periodicals, exclusive newsletters, books, respectively) various computer, mobile applications, and radio (music, magazines, CDs, etc.). Whats interesting to note is that the digital TV, unlike modern  media radio of and analog television, started with pay-per-use, as opposed to an ad-supported model. (Counter-argument: if you look back, the original medium was pay-per pricing - Guttenberg bible with ads, anyone?).

As the field matures, well see a mix of pricing which will discriminate among customers tastes for immediacy, location, viewing screen size, and whole number of factors. Ad-supported will likely emerge as the predominant driver of revenue, but the mix among the pricing models will change over time as technology and tastes change evolve.

Overall, I agree with the fundamental premise of the importance of ad-supported video content and with Martino Mingione, who writes, “One of my core business beliefs is that there are opportunities in connecting advertisers to non-linear, video on demand streams. I say it because people accept advertising as a necessary factor in keeping television free and there is a lot of money spent today on linear television programs.” However, I believe that well see an emergence of a wide variety of pricing schemes emerge (paid and non-paid) that match consumers desires to the content.

Edited by OceanBreeze
Removed spam link

• 2 years later...

Video games offer incredible learning opportunities for all ages. "Spore" is indeed an intriguing game with its evolutionary concept, potentially making learning engaging and fun. Sorry to hear about your computer; upgrading might open up a whole new world of gaming possibilities! Speaking of immersive experiences, CS:GO is fantastic for strategic thinking. By the way, for those exploring educational gaming or diving into different gaming experiences, https://bitskins.com might have insights or gear that could help.

Edited by abdulhadjar