Science Forums

Miscellaneous silliness on the subject of climate

Flying Binghi

Washington DC-- Former Vice-President Al Gore hailed the success of his campaign against global warming at a speech to the National Clown Club today. The flatulent ex-Veep stated colder global temperatures are a direct results of his tireless actions to save the world. The fat buffoon even hinted at another Nobel Prize is in his future, or at least another Grammy.

"I have saved the world, again." smirked Mr. Gore. "When you look at when we started our crusade in 2001 and compare it with global temperature declines you will see a direct correlation. We did it!" trumpeted the useful idiot to a surreal audience of 1,000................

http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s5i45991

• 4 weeks later...

How embarrassing is it when you produce a horror movie based on global warming and when the time comes to release it, the planet is experiencing some of the coldest weather in decades? Such is the case with The Thaw starring Val Kilmer. Filmed in Canada last summer, it should be ready for release by now but even though the trailer has been produced, no specific release date has been announced. Perhaps the producers realize how much of a laughingstock this movie would become if a movie based on the premise of global warming were released when their potential audience is freezing. Global Warming Horror Flick Put on Ice | NewsBusters.org

:shrug:

This Hansen twit has got it in for Oz -

AUSTRALIA’S use of coal and carbon emissions policies are guaranteeing the “destruction of much of the life on the planet”, a leading NASA scientist has written in a letter to Barack Obama.

The head of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, Professor James Hansen, has written an open letter to Barack Obama calling......... Australia 'destroying life on Earth' | The Australian

Earth calling Hansen, Earth calling..... :turtle:

Another candidate for the Hypo silly awards -

Wendy Carlisle: Hello, I'm Wendy Carlisle, and this week on Background Briefing, how a very big idea has come out of the shadows.

With rapid Arctic ice melts and...

David Keith: Now suppose that space aliens arrived - maybe they are going to land at the UN Headquarters down the road here, or maybe they will pick a smarter spot...

Background Briefing - 11 January 2009 - The climate engineers

FB, these comments of yours are not attacks on GW, they are attacks against people.

If you want to attack people, fine. If you are critical of GW feel free to give us some experiments, data or other information that points in another direction.

Zythryn, I think you have over-looked the little detail that the referenced "people" are, in many cases, looking to impose their miss-guided and discredited AGW ideology on other people... on Me. When I get called a Holocaust denier, and many other names, just because I am sceptical of AGW, i think i'm fully entitled to piont out just how silly most of these pro AGW 'people' are.

Here in Australia there are nearly daily reports of the job loses and economic destruction carbon trading will cause, and yet we have these 'people' still wanting an unneeded fix for a non problem :hyper:

Yet another example -

(extract)

...Ms. Tremonti then asked Mr. Flannery to respond.

Mr. Flannery, although Mr. Bolt had done nothing but quote Mr. Flannery’s own words, called the journalist a liar and proceeded to waffle mightily round the swelling billabong. He said that cities had spent money on dealing with the situation. But then didn’t that mean that adaptation works?

The fact that northern Australia wasn’t as drought-ridden as models predicted was due, he said, to “brown cloud pollution” in Asia that was cooling the ground and causing monsoons to shift south. But then didn’t this undermine climate change theory, asked Ms. Tremonti? Ah, declared Mr. Flannery, that theory is “complex.” We shouldn’t look at particular weather incidences.

But then isn’t that exactly what Mr. Flannery and his ilk constantly do, quoting Hurricane Katrina or the 2007-08 loss of Arctic sea ice (since reversed) as “conclusive proof” of their beliefs?

Mr. Flannery warned Ms. Tremonti against “any simplistic view.” After all, Australian industry was trying to mislead the public because it had just been lumbered with an emissions trading scheme. So they were “stirring the pot” when, presumably, it was only alarmists who should be allowed spoons....

via - http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fpcomment/archive/2009/01/08/peter-foster-climate-rains-on-aussie-drought.aspx

This is all good. You are more than welcome to be critical of policies.

But I would ask you to back up statements such as "an unneeded fix for a non problem".

Your statements do nothing to weaken the case against GW or AGW. Just to poke fun at people that are not scientists, but policy makers or celebrities.

All I ask is that you stop with the 'AGW is silly' statements unless you back those up.

If you want to complain about other things, fine, go for it.

Your statements do nothing to weaken the case against GW or AGW

Zythryn, I make no aurgument against climate change - the climate always changes, from time before humans. AGW on the other hand..... I'm yet to see any quantifiable audited proof - where is the proof, the 'case' ???

What I do hear, and read, is a dramaticly increasing number of people asking some hard questions about just what this AGW nonsense is going to cost - eg. injecting CO2 into the ground....:hyper:

(Take note, I did not start this thread or give it a title)