Science Forums

Can you help me

I am writing a paper for english on time travel, i have read Negative Energy, Wormholes and Warp Drive by Lawrence H. Ford and Thomas A. Roman, and i have gotten some excelent information. I have watched time lords on tectv and it posed some intresting topics, i heard something like the conservation of time and space(or something like that) which stated that even if time travel is possible this law will not let you change the future. any sources that i can use for my paper will be a big help, thank you for your time

Hm. I think you need to explain the term "good sources". Did you look at the links? They point to sites hosted by Stanford University, among others; an article by John Gribbins; pbs...

Could you perhaps be more specific? What exactly do you need? Book recommendations? I'm sure we can help you out in some way.

Tormod

well i need to write a paper about time travel. i got all i need about how to control a wormhole and negative energy and such, but i still need information about conservation of time and space, parrel universes that is found true by the physics lab with the photons, and traveling faster than the speed of light, i did not look at the link in dept just browsed quickly, thank you for all the help

Stephen Hawking, one of the most brilliant theoretical physicists in history, wrote " A Brief History of Time" for help in understand fundamental questions of physics. Could help you out.

I'm sure it will make your paper look "good" :-P

And you may include Pythagoras and Einstein

The theorem, which is applicable to right angled triangles in flat Cartesian (Newtonian) space

c^2 = a^2 + b^2.

Then you could jump right ahead to Einstein's theory of Relatvity which states that mass lengt and time aren't constant approachin to the speed of light L_f = (1 - v^2/c^2)^-1/2.

But first you must start with what time is, go through the History of how we developed our understandng of it and then go with what we might understand in th future. Tormod gave you a great piece of info there - " the path" for all the best site abut time travel and time machines

Time travel is not possible

here's is something from me (that I found) which could make your paper even more interesting by having two sides :-)

Don't forget to include Einstein's space-time theories.

Eva

The Oracle of the Past

P.S. Excuse my mistakes but I'm not even going to preview now ...

Heh I just turned 15 a month and a half ago but I take grade 11 physics it's too robotic not that I'm not a fan on robotics but there's no imagination in these classes here.... :-( In my country it wasn't really like that... ;-) I hope it'll get better when I go to university or something.

So what exactly are you taking at the moment?

If you got time to tell me :-P

I'd be glad to help.

Eva

• 2 weeks later...

It may be rather late for your project though if you're still interested in time travel and some of the relative theories try reading Paul Davies' "How To Build A Time Machine".. an excelent book making complex ideas easily digestable. I enjoyed reading it even though I'd previously read about each of the theories though it simplifies them excelently. It'll also make further reading of other books like Stephen Hawkings "Brief History Of Time" allot easier to understand and if you're going there I think you should seriously consider his "Univere in a Nutshell" (the illustrated hardcopy version).

Enjoy and good luck.

_Russ.