Science Forums

Why Is The Search Feature LESS Then Useless?

litespeed

Miscommunication or a lack thereof? I thought to say more but his OP didn't appear to be actually asking for any help in how to use the search features correctly:

Too bad OP shagged out.

Maybe I can take his place, because the so-called "search" function in this site has been one of my pet peeves.

Is "peeves" the plural of "peef"??

Anyway, why not tell ME how to use the search feature correctly. for example, I would like to search all sites for several of my older posts, especially poems and longer essays.

Many appreciations.

Pyro the Errant

Anyway, why not tell ME how to use the search feature correctly. for example, I would like to search all sites for several of my older posts, especially poems and longer essays.

Many appreciations.

Pyro the Errant

Craig already elaborated pretty well above. When searching for your own posts use the advanced search and search by user name. Simply putting your name in the initial search form searches for it as a keyword which will only return posts with your name in the body of the post. In the lower left corner of the advanced search form tick the posts radio button, threads is ticked by default, to find posts by you instead of threads started by you. This will find all posts by you. Above these radio buttons you can sort by date, replies, views, forums, etc. Above this you can specify date ranges and above that you can specify that you only want posts with one or more replies if you want.

You might also find it helpful that you can use quotes in the keyword box to search for posts with phrases like "Johnson Space Center" or "Howdy. I'm new here at Hypography so excuse me if I get off on the wrong foot. (Which foot would that be?)" :)

Using BBSes and usenet in the mid 90’s instilled in me a tendency to sign my handle on each message for ease of future searching. Of course, with all the options to subscribe to threads and search by username available now—it’s a pretty useless practice.

~modest :)