Science Forums

Crichtons Cross

Morphyous

I found this site very interesting. I apologise if I havn't posted this in the correct forum because it seems to me, the subject spans a few of the catagories here.

I have always wondered why archeologists seem to unduly attach a religeous interpretation to a lot of their finds. As though ancient man did virtually nothing but worship God. I particularly like this site http://www.viewzone.com/crichton.html Crichton has found a valid use for the basic religeous symbol of "the Cross". This cross can be used to navigate, build ie pyramids, roads etc . I've always felt that a lot of ancient mans endeavours would be far more practical than archeologists give them credit for. Structures for storage of water and food and for keeping animals and smelting metals seem more important to every day living than worshipping Gods.

I have always wondered why archeologists seem to unduly attach a religeous interpretation to a lot of their finds. As though ancient man did virtually nothing but worship God.

An example of this, which like most things I learned 20-40 years ago, I can't footnote, involves the archaeologists studying Mohenjo Daro. They turned up enormous numbers of poorly made clay objects, flat, with three corners and sides. They were dubbed "votive cakes". As years passed and excavation proceeded, they discovered that there was a very advanced sewer system, with indoor privies. Then someone realized the "votive cakes" were found in the sewer lines. They were the ancient analogue of toilet paper.

Native Americans used the cross, the swastika, & the spiral in connection with astronomy & cosmology. Another sacred geometry confiscated by christians is the Vesica Piscis; it is also deeply integrated in astronomy. See attachment below:

Crichton doesn't claim to have discovered this ancient method of measurement, rather that he has re-discovered an original use for what eventually came to be considered, a religeous symbol. It makes sense to me, that a tool of extreme usefulness which could be carried around, would take on, after a time, a religeous significance. Long after its true function had been lost in the mists of time. Apparently the remnants of this cross were found in a pyramid shaft which could only be accessed with a robotic camera. Yet archeologists still debate on how the ancient Egyptians managed to construct virtualy perfect pyramidial shapes. As you say the Native Americans had a very sophisticated system of geometry. Also the Mayans and Aztecs had similar quite sophisticated systems. Its probably the case that only a few people in each of these society's were privy to this knowledge in the same way that average people nowadays, have very little knowledge of nuclear physics. So its not hard to see how ancient knowledge easily becomes lost.

___Morph said "Its probably the case that only a few people in each of these society's were privy to this knowledge in the same way that average people nowadays, have very little knowledge of nuclear physics. So its not hard to see how ancient knowledge easily becomes lost."

___I agree; moreover, it's not hard to see how ancient knowledge is hard to rediscover. :hihi: