Science Forums

Faking a science degree

Tormod

It turns out that the selling of fake science degrees is a *huge* business - billions are made according to Norwegian newspaper VG (article is in Norwegian).

A Norwegian doctor has just been caught with an "honorary degree" from the "Albert Schweitzer International University". The problem is (of course) that there is no such university.

But the institution does have a website where they now warn people against the developing news story that they are in fact just a fraud.

Quoting it here before they remove it:

During the last two months we have been receiving telephone calls from the so-called journalist May Linn Gjerding, who claims to be working for the Norwegian newspaper VG. The reason is a would-be research (?) about Grethe Stoa Birketvedt MD, PhD, Honorary Professor of ASIU, as a result of using her title Honorary Professor of Albert Schweitzer University on the back cover of her publication, a new book about the importance of the brain's control in obesity treatment. They are also questioning her credibility as a researcher and as an ethical person by threatening to ruin her career.

This so-called journalist is trying to bring discredit on the work of Dr. Birketvedt accusing her of using false honourable mentions of our institution. She also has doubts about the legitimacy and existence of our organization. For this reason, we make public the original documents that prove our legal situation both in Switzerland and in Spain. In the same way, these documents prove that our foundation is recognized as of “public interest” in Switzerland and Spain, and its approved statutes allow the honorific distinctions.

We also publish for the first time the letter of Rhena Schweitzer, only daughter of Albert Schweitzer, in which she approves all the steps taken as promoter of the creation of a “university for Peace”, following the model of the University for Peace of Costa Rica, and accepts the appointment of Honorary President. The promoters of this project have tried to satisfy her wishes with our best efforts. We hope not to be obliged to take other legal measures to defend the good name of the prestigious Dr. Grethe Stoa Birketvedt and of our institution.

Dr Alfonso Roldán Moré

President

Source:

Albert Schweitzer International University

The woman in question is both a medical doctor and holds a Ph.D. which now is under investigation for possible fraud (it predates the suspect honorary title).

It makes me wonder how many people out there actually does this. In Iran a Government minister had to leave office recently due to a fake diploma, and the same thing occurred recently in Sweden.

Maybe we should start handing out "honorary science degrees" here at Hypography for $99.95 (for a limited time only)?

It turns out that the selling of fake science degrees is a *huge* business - billions are made according to Norwegian newspaper VG (article is in Norwegian).

A Norwegian doctor has just been caught with an "honorary degree" from the "Albert Schweitzer International University". The problem is (of course) that there is no such university.

But the institution does have a website where they now warn people against the developing news story that they are in fact just a fraud.

Quoting it here before they remove it:

Source:

Albert Schweitzer International University

The woman in question is both a medical doctor and holds a Ph.D. which now is under investigation for possible fraud (it predates the suspect honorary title).

It makes me wonder how many people out there actually does this. In Iran a Government minister had to leave office recently due to a fake diploma, and the same thing occurred recently in Sweden.

Maybe we should start handing out "honorary science degrees" here at Hypography for $99.95 (for a limited time only)?

oh oh oh, I want a doctorate in Astrobiology , biochemistry, and Marine Biology :confused: Can I get a deal on three at once?

I wonder why someone would pay for something they could Photoshop themselves....

What you pay for is a paper trial and phone services that will pass muster for superficial investigations. There was an article on this on 20/20 a few years ago (late 90's). Government workers get paid on a scale that considers the level of education they have completed. So a government worker can shell out $900 for a degree and get a $10-15K pay increase. Teachers do it to for the same reason. Some do anyway.

Bill

• 2 years later...
Guest habbrwn

This thread is interesting and having good information regarding the fake degree in science. Actually I am preparing presentation on fake degree holders. So I need large information regarding it. So please share more.

[sPAMLINK REMOVED]

Hey Tormod, I don't know if you know this. But in India you can walk away with any sort of degree, fake of course, after paying a little huge amount. I would estimate their business to be making around a couple of more billions than these people. :|

And if it's not too late, can I have a degree in environmental, economical and biochemistry? Just be careful not to mention my real age :P

A spam link to a website called "buyafakediploma" on a thread calling fake diplomas a scam?

Irony abounds on the internet :)

I got a chuckle from this latest spamlinked site, where it made the case for why you only want to but the highest quality fake diplomas and transcripts from the most experienced forgery-selling venders, because otherwise "the joke you mean to play on your coworkers" will fall on its face and be unfunny.

I can well imagine that being caught at such a "joke" is intensely unfunny.

• 2 months later...