Science Forums

The effects of the sun (or uv rays in general) on skin.

administrator

I've been searching to see if i can find any good information on this topic... what i'm looking for are any estimates on exactly how much of an effect the sun/uv rays have on the aging process. The closest i've come was a line saying that "some scientists" believe that about 70% of all aging is due to uv rays. I suppose what i'm more ultimately interested in is what amount of change would be seen in lifespan were uv rays not present (And would research in more efficient uv reduction techniques produce a longer living and more productive general populace. Thanks for any info you have on the topic, or any links you can dig up, if there is anything out there about this.

So - a warm welcome to our forums to you!

If registration is an inconvenience, then I think the least you can do when asking for people's help is to tell us who you are.

You're bashing me for telling you that anonymous posts should not expect an answer. Now how do I even know that you are the one who asked the anonymous question?

You wouldn't believe the amount of e-mails and anonymous postings we get (and sometimes respond to). So if it is an inconvenience, then we'll simply solve it by closing down the forums and deny anonymous postings.

Well, we like to help people out and offer an open forum. We pay for this stuff out of our own pockets and spend our free time running this website. Lots of people help out, and they all (hopefully) get something back from being a part of this small community.

Tormod

well, yes, if you don't want anon postings, i'd disable that function of the forums and make registration a requirement, by nature of the fact that i was able to post anonymously (and had seen other anon questions answered) it was natural to assume there was no problem with an anonymous post.

First off, WELCOME to the Hypography forums Myskran! I hope you stick around and add to our community!

It is just that we have been having problems with anonymous posters recently, and it is being over used a little. Nothing against you in particular. We are currently debating if we should continue to allow anonymous posting or not.

I have made a post here addressing these problems, so maybe that will clear it some and prevent misunderstandings like this from happening (as this was - just a simple misunderstanding). At the least, posting a name at the end of the post would help a lot

Now to your question. Like Tormod, I'm no expert in dermatology, but I do believe that UV light is required for a body to function properly. I will try to find some more info on the subject for you.

Noah

Sun Rays News and Colour Effects

I found this very interesting :-) it's a bit off from the topic but hey you can always learn there's also sun effect you might see it if you search through it.

As for the "welcoming" I felt very welcome here, and I enjoy science very much, so I would say that registering here is not an INCONVENIENCE :-P but something that might help you out eh? :-P You can find so many intellegent people, you probably don't see as much around you( might be wrong). Now I can say I'm lucky because all my parents' friends teach in university or are engineers. :-)

Thanks again, Tormod for accepting me here considering the sarcasticly brutal nickname I had before :-P

Eva

The Oracle of the past :-P