Science Forums

Is it possible to have subconcious fear of certain people?

bochen2

Two men I've known went on to murder their partners. I only spent one evening in the company of one, and he did not make much of an impression: He was rather quiet and moody-looking, in contrast to his girlfriend, who was vivacious, beautiful and a top model. At the time her father said that he did not like the guy, though he did not say why. Later, after she had dumped him, he followed her to another city and killed her before shooting himself in the head. (He was blinded, but survived.)

The second case involved a classmate at university. He tried to get me into bed even though he was engaged at the time (I discovered later). Our lecturers thought him a paragon of virtue and an example to us all, but he was the first person I met in connection with whom the word "psychopath" came to my mind, and rather strongly, at that. I'm not sure why I singled him out: He didn't appear aggressive and knew how to butter up people, but he held some extremist views and seemed to have no conscience at all. He went on to marry his fiancee, and years later killed her - ironically because he suspected her of having an affair.

To get back to the thread, sometimes those uneasy feelings about people do mean you're dealing with a person of whom you should steer clear. I'd say, however, that in many instances, it is simply a matter of having a complex relationship with someone - as with your parents, who both nurture and discipline you.

Dannie-She murdered her lesbian lover, there had never been a boyfriend. She fabricated the story for me. I never had any indication before the murder, that she was capable of such an act. She may have just snapped. Interesting though, her boss, who was also a friend of mine, committed suicide 2 months prior to her act. Now this struck me as really odd. He was anything but suicidal in his words and behaviour. After the murder, i had wondered if there was fowl play involved with him. She had loathed him.

I had trusted her with a level of trust you give out generally, but not implicitely.Remember, i had thought she was hiding her homosexuality and hence lying about it. By no means did i ever imagine that this funny, kind human being was ever capable of killing. Apparently is was all facade. I did not have a subconcious fear as the title of this thread, i was simply blinded to the evil reality that was going on.

I agree Mynah, and i certainly do not dismiss those feelings now without taking a subjective look as to why i feel them. I am careful about whom i choose to call friend. The word is important to me and what it stands for.

this thread has really taken a creepy turn....

Especially strange (and creepy) that she managed to appear so normal and upbeat afterwards... How did they trace the murder to her?

A few years ago a former student who had been taught by my sister at an upper class local school murdered his parents and brother. My sister was gobsmacked when she heard it: According to her, he'd been one of the sweetest, best-behaved kids in her class.

The evidence that led them to her a was a receipt( dry cleaning i think) that had fallen out of the car near the burn site. Upon inspecting her basement, luminol had revealed the gruesome details.

In attempting to understand the homicidal mind, you have to rule out the norm. These criminals are good at masking their motives and deeds. They often appear to be normal, like the proverbial guy next door.