Science Forums

All the Truth about 2012

We all heard about 2012.

So many Explanations and Stories.

I've heard stories about aliens, about astrology, about changing the rhythm of time, Heaven on Earth, energies, other dimensions, bad-stuff-happening, galactic-astrological-synchronizations, changes in calenders, parties, and so many contradicting, not-really-scientific, not-always-rational data.

I seek to explain the phenomenon, without stubborn rhetoric, without any vague concepts, and without any energy / aliens / dimensional / other-unproven-data (or at least considered unproven).

Having said that, I'll try to explain the 2012 phenomenon, or the phenomenon of 2012 obsession.

My first argument:

Numbers effect people.

People are charmed, for example, by certain numbers, and are afraid, from other numbers, for a variety of reasons.

I don't claim everyone is charmed and afraid by numbers, but enough people do, so in the global-scale, number do effect people, not necessarily in the same manner.

(The number X can charm one person, deter another, and not effect another two people, in a group of 4, for example).

I find it easy to be charmed by

or

And I am charmed by the fact they are both the same day.

But I would like to focus more on dates and numbers that make people fear.

Some dates frighten some of us:

or

Some numbers that might frighten a Christian:

Or Jews:

My second argument:

The 9 - 11 combination is problematic enough in order to become a date of destruction.

(Sounds strange, but read it through).

I don't ask here to explain this, just to show this, but I'll try to give an explanation nonetheless.

One possible explanation, is the common characteristic of 9 and 11.

They are both very close to 10, and this is what is common, and so their combination emphasizes this.

10 is a very special number for the human psyche, and usually symbolizes wholeness and completeness and perfection, not for a mystical, or a numerological, or a really-stupid reason, but because we have 10 fingers, and they are the base of our counting system, and 10 symbolizes the completeness of the counting, the 10 fingers, and the 10 digits.

Those of us who look for grades will see a perfection in 10, since it is the perfect grade.

Those of us who look for completeness in sexuality, and in the merging of the opposites, will also see in 10 completeness,

as 1 is the male organ, 0 is the female organ, and 10 is their combination in one complete whole perfect unity.

Those of us with religious upbringing can see 10 in the 10 commandments and other important symbols.

Symbolic connections between 9 and 11, are exactly what moves away from that wholeness, and emphasizes the distinction from wholeness.

You might think I'm only talking about the WTC 9/11 case, but you'll understand soon.

I don't think there has to be a cosmic force to make more destructions on dates with 9 and 11, but somehow this combination effects enough people for us to have more on such dates.

Maybe the explanation I gave for why this could happen doesn't convince, but this is not the point, the point is that it is like that, statistically, as we'll see in some detailed examples.

For simplicity, I'll use both the European style of writing dates - day.month.year - E - and the North-American style - month.day.year - U.

You might think that finding 9's and 11's in the 20th century is not so hard, but remember, the 20th century was the most bloody of them all, which strengthens my theory.

Do you see any combinations between 9 and 11 in the following dates ?

(remember the mind reads digits one by one...)

WTC destruction:

9.11.2001 U

Crystal night, first major violent breakout before the holocaust, became a memory of a day of destruction:

9.11.1938 E

WW2:

9.1.1939 U

Murder of Kennedy:

22.11.1963 E

Murder of Gandhi:

30.1.1938 E

Murder of Israel's prime minster, Rabin:

4.11.1995 E

Attempted murder of Jordanian King, King Hussein and the start of Black September:

9.1.1970 U

Gulf War:

1.15.1991 U

15.1.1991 E

And there's more, but I think the list is enough.

Anyone who disagrees, and thinks I'm not convincing enough, is welcome to present another pair of numbers, whose combination

appears in so many dates that became memories of destruction, and I think it is fair to request that at least one of the numbers in the pair will be a 2-digit-number.

(Don't tell me 1 and 9, OK ?)

I don't think, and I don't claim, that this is total.

You have many dates with 9 and 11 without any problem, and you also have destructions in other dates, but this is still a

statistical abnormality.

I'll soon show how the 9-11 combination became a destruction-date in more than the Western calender to prove my point.

Before that, I'd like to talk a little about the American emergency phone number

We usually think of it as

dial nine-one-one

But originally it was promoted as

dial nine-eleven.

A lot of people complained "they can't find the eleven" so they changed the way they say it.

So originally the 9-11 combination also appeared in emergency cases.

Police, Fire Department, Medical help, all in one number.

And when do you call ?

When you are more away from the feeling or delusion that everything is complete and perfect.

So once again, the 9-11 combination is connected in many persons' minds with "something bad is happening".

Now I'll move to another calender:

The Hebrew Year of Judaism. One of the oldest calenders still in use.

It goes both by the sun and by the moon, making itself more accurate than the Western calender, or the Muslim one, as far as "making the year accurate and on time" goes.

Unlike other calenders and traditions, the Jews somehow combined all their major destruction stories, to one date that symbolizes destruction

The Ninth of AV.

While AV is the 11th month of the Hebrew year.

(The Hebrew calender / calenders have several new-years, but the most common, and the only one used until today, is the one who starts the year with a holiday called "The head of the year", in which the digit of the years increases by one, and is in a month (always a new-moon day) who is always 2 months after AV, and basically 10 months before AV, making AV the 11th month, in a 12 months year, eventually making the 9th of AV, as the 9th of the 11th Month.)

This is a list of destructions that are associated with that date, some of them are made so by formal Jewish religious law,some are historically documented, some are of an unknown enough source, and even if some of it is made up (by others of course, not by me), it still shows that there's a tendency of the mind to connect destructions with 9-11-combination-dates:

The fall of the first temple.

(this in the bible appears in 2 places, one as 7th of AV, the other as 10th of AV, but formal Judaism is considering it as 9th of Av, and this is the official day of fasting and mourning about it, which is also obligatory, for religious Jews).

The fall of the second temple.

Destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans

Expulsion of Jews from Spain

(A major event in Jewish history, highly documented).

Roman Jews are put in ghettos in Rome.

Expulsion from England and in another year, from France.

First World War

(Calculated by the date Germany declared war on Russia, and it became a world war, WW1).

The Jews also believe that in the bible, the Hebrews traveled for 40 years in the desert, instead of going straight into their Promised Land, because they were punished by God for some sin, called "the sin of the spies", and that punishment is considered to have taken place on the Ninth of Av, as well as all the others.

So what do we see ?

Nowadays, the 9-11 combination has become a date that symbolizes destruction in more than one calender.

(There's more symmetry between the 9-11's of the Western and Hebrew calenders main destruction date - the fall of The Temple,and the fall of The Towers. Both in a mythological city - Jerusalem is the most mythological city for the Jewish people, and NYC is deeply connected to the American Dream, with its Statue of Liberty, welcoming the immigrants, as well as possessing other American-Dream-Symbols, and both destructions are on a 9-11 date in the year).

I can't be sure you're convinced why this is happening.

But it does.

Even if some of those destructions, or those dates, are pure accidents, it causes more fear of those dates eventually.

And again, I'm not saying all destructions are on those dates. I don't know the dates of the atomic bombing of Japan in the Japanese calender, but I believe there's enough data to see that something is going on.

And this finally concludes the second argument.

My third argument:

Starting from 2012, we have much less dates with 9-11 combinations in the Western calender, (which is the most important and globally used calender).

In the 20th century, we had the most dates with such a combination.

In the beginning of the 21st, we have a little less.

Ever since 2012, the years don't give us any 11 at all, and we got a 9 in the years only once every 10 years, and in the 2090s which result in 19 years with a 9 in the year, in all the century, compared to 100 years with a 9, in the 20th century.

So:

I.

If a combination between a 9 and an 11 causes destruction, then we'll have less destructions.

II.

If such a combination makes people afraid, then we have less reasons to fear.

III.

If you think such dates don't mean anything at all, then it wouldn't get any worse, not because of this anyway.

IV.

If enough extreme people go crazy especially on such dates, then they have less reasons to go crazy.

My fourth argument:

All the spiritual, cultural, pseudo-scientific interest around the change of 2012, is because of the 9-11 symbolism I showed.

Check out the date given to mark the change:

12.21.2012 U

21.12.2012 E

The year:

Right after 2011, and shortly after 2009, just as they disappear from the digits of the years.

The Month:

December

The 12th month, right after the 11th month and shortly after September, just as they disappear from the digits of the months.

The day

Not one digit like a 9

Not 1X like an 11

not 20 like 9 + 11

The 21st day of the 12th month of the only year with a 12 in its digits, in the 21st Century.

So much charm, so much completeness, and wholeness, and symmetry, and even perfection. you got the 1 and 0 of the 10, next to each other. you got nothing to remind of the "away from completeness" in this date. Nothing to remind you of the 9-11 combinations.

no 9

12 and 21

right before 2013

and right before Christmas (never 9 or 11 on Christmas in the day.month duo)

or 13.0.0.0.0

you got 12, 13, and 21, all can be seen as "going away from 11".

This is truly a nice charming date which symbolizes a drastic change from a period we had many 9-11 combinations in the Western calender, to a period with much much less.

One of the things 2012 theorists talk about, is the subject of time, and the change of time, and the change of the perception of time.

They all fail to understand that what will really happen, is that as far as dates go, time will effect us differently.

This is the expected change in our "connection with time".

Time will be much less frightening and much less dangerous.

One last thing.

If somehow I gave you a reason to think the coming 2009 and 2011 will be horrible, this is not necessarily what I think. 1909 and 1911 were not so nice as years, but certainly not the worst of the 20th century. And even so, by 2012 it will be behind us.

I'd be more than happy to get interesting remarks, as long as they are to the point, about my theory.

(please don't analyze my signature in your replies)

BLUE ELECTRIC MONKEY

Some numerology would toss in nicely here too.

9 is the immutable number in base 10. (1 in base 2, 3 in base 4, 7 in base 8) A catalyst. It changes things without itself being changed.

11 is one of the two power numbers in numerology. 22 being the other. The name Paul for example is an 11.

Buffy is a 6 (engineering/analytical)

Part of my question on the world is why did nature and fate actually "choose" those dates/numbers instead of some other random numbers?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

- Arthur C Clarke

[ Virgos please insert appropriate quote about BS here :sherlock:

it's your role to keep crazy Pisces over-generalizations in check

... woops did I just over-generalize again? ]

Please note... I don't necessarily believe any of this. I just observe it and keep trying to see where the pieces do and do not fit.

"All artists, potentially, are the victims of their desire to be unique

Just observe it

Don't fight it

Work it. "

- Eben Ozen "AEIOY Sometimes Y"

To Buffy:

Yes, I studied probability when i made my degree in Math and CS in the university. I got a final grade in that course of about 90.

I stand behind my claim.

If anyone thinks this is just my ability to manipulate numbers, please give me another pairs of numbers, one of them, at least, being a two-digit one, that you can show me their combination in so many dates that became a memory of destruction.

I showed it without mathematical operations of adding and dividing, only with two different common styles of showing the western calender, and showing it on another old calender that is still used today, showing this combo can become dangerous, or considered as dangerous, in more than one calender.

I also gave numerous explanations for why this combo can irritate people, giving the 911 emergency number as an example.

I'll also add how the 9-11 combo manifests in Roman Numerations.

9 - IX

11 - XI

Again, and now with more detail, we can see that humans see 9 and 11 as "Exactly one away from 10".

To Symbology:

"9 is Changing things without being changed itself, and 11 is Power" ?

So a 9/11 combo can "Change things without the 9 being changed" ?

In all those dates I mentioned, things changed, but the 9 didn't change, is that what you mean ?

Taking your idea into the TWC 911 event.

11 looks like two towers, and it is a symbol of power in life and in your numerological idea.

we had the 9/11 attack

after that there were no two towers, no 11

but we still had the 9, it was still September.

Is this what you mean ?

I don't think this is mystical or purely accidental,

we can see many ways in which 9/11 combos irritates the mind, making people more nervous and away-from-peace, causing, over time, more bad stuff and crucial outbreaks of stress on such dates, when there's an increasing element in the "equation": "If I know about bad stuff that happened on these dates already I'll be more anxious about it".

About your Clarke's quote,

Do you know Carroll's version of it ?

"Any sufficiently advanced form of magic will be in indistinguishable from science" ?

And about all artists being the victims of their own desire to be unique.

Can you show me how this is not true about not-artists ? I can see it clearly in failed-relationships, Job-disappointments, Politicians, and many other fields, as the "victim" aspect is shown to be based on a desire to be or feel unique.

To Symbology:

"9 is Changing things without being changed itself, and 11 is Power" ?

So a 9/11 combo can "Change things without the 9 being changed" ?

In all those dates I mentioned, things changed, but the 9 didn't change, is that what you mean ?

No, I was just supplying what they say in numerology about those numbers. Numerology has the concept of fate as its basis. That if you assign a symbol such as a name or number to something that you are helping to define its destiny. I am much like the character Neo in The Matrix.

MORPHEUS: Do you believe in fate, Neo?

NEO: No.

MORPHEUS: Why not?

NEO: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.

Taking your idea into the TWC 911 event.

11 looks like two towers, and it is a symbol of power in life and in your numerological idea.

we had the 9/11 attack

after that there were no two towers, no 11

but we still had the 9, it was still September.

Is this what you mean ?

I don't think this is mystical or purely accidental,

we can see many ways in which 9/11 combos irritates the mind, making people more nervous and away-from-peace, causing, over time, more bad stuff and crucial outbreaks of stress on such dates, when there's an increasing element in the "equation": "If I know about bad stuff that happened on these dates already I'll be more anxious about it".

Again No. Interesting set of observations you have there. But I was just supplying what the books say about the numbers.

About your Clarke's quote,

Do you know Carroll's version of it ?

"Any sufficiently advanced form of magic will be in indistinguishable from science" ?

I love reversal quotes. It causes us to really think about things from a parallax view. Pretty much exactly like a mirror does.

Did I believe this dream,

or did I dream this belief?

- Peter Gabriel "Red Rain"

And about all artists being the victims of their own desire to be unique.

Can you show me how this is not true about not-artists ? I can see it clearly in failed-relationships, Job-disappointments, Politicians, and many other fields, as the "victim" aspect is shown to be based on a desire to be or feel unique.

It's probably true about many people - especially the "Perceiving" archetype of the Meyers-Briggs personality types (about 50% of the general population)

I was more just poking fun at myself.

Some more calculations for those interested:

I defined a "charming date" as a date made of only 3 digits (or less).

Like:

2.2.2000 (two digits)

and many more in 2000

and also

so much many

in

2001-2012

X.X.200X

you got here 13 years with a lot of "charming dates", and even 13 years in a row, with a date in each year, with a certain number, that appears both in the day, in the month, in the year, and in a "charming date".

Now what happens in 2010-2012 ?

This is very special.

All "charming dates" in these 3 years, are with the same 3 digits: 0,1,2

Actually, we get 120 "charming dates" in these years, all with the same 3 digits, and with no other "charming date" in the middle which is made of a different combination of 3 digits.

(If you can't see why this doesn't happen in 2000-2002, or in 2020-2022, think of 3.3.2000 or 4.4.2022.)

All this period of 2000-2012, is with the most charm in numbers possible since we started counting.

2100-2102 is the only next time in the coming millennium with 120 "charming dates in a row all from the same 3 digits". (you need 3 years in a row, all with the same 3 digits that you are talking about, and all 3 digits appearing in all 3 years)

And when does the charm "end" this time ?

This is the last of those 120 "charming dates". Right next to the famous 21.12.2012 to whom the change of time is usually attributed.

(why 120 dates? think of 1.1.2010, 2.1.2010, 10.1.2010, 11.1.2010, 12.1.2010 and 20th,21st and ,22nd of that month. 8 such "charming dates" in January alone. now switch the month to 2,10,11 or 12, and we get 5 such months, which gives us a total of 40 such dates in the year, and another 40 in each of the following years, resulting in a total of 120).

After that, not only will time frighten us less, it will also charm us less, making us over all less affected by time, and more "free" from it.

I also guess, that all this 2012 obsession nowadays, is strongly connected to the fact that "This is the time that dates have charmed us more than ever before". And after 2012, these kind of obsessions will cool down, as Time charms us less and less, or frighten us with a 9-11 combo, less and less.

I always considered 21.12.2012 to be such a beautiful date, but now it seems to me more as a beautiful period of time.

So many dates, in 3 years, all with same digits of the 21.12.2012.

After filling our minds with obsessions about that date, I guess something like this might happen to us in 2010:

"so many dates seem like 21.12.2012, what's going on ?"

And in 2013, the process is over.

2013 might appeal to the eye, consisting of 0,1,2,3 but these are 4 digits, not 3, and therefore no more "charming dates" until 2020, (again, if this is how we define charm), and not a huge amount of them until 2100-2102, and nothing quite like the charm of 2000-2012, the biggest charm ever, past and future.

(you get some good charm in 1000-1012, but no "three years period of the 'same' charm").

(3000-3013 don't give you so much charm, 2 is much more common than 3 in the days and in the months, even though 3 is just a little more in the days than the 0, and we're gonna have some good charm in 2131-2133, 2311-2313, 3121-3123 and 3211-3213

(days and months with 0 and 3: days: 3,10,13,20,23,30,31, months: 3, 10),

The bottom line:

Nothing like this 2000-2012 charm since ever we can really remember, and nothing like we can predict in any sense of future, and with nothing even coming close, until 2100-2102.

For all reasons mentioned, our time is the perfect "time-dates-obsession-period".

No, I mean it.

Other generations will have other obsessions

Maybe apocalyptic, but less time-related.

As far as time and dates and number synchronicity, now is the most ever, and to be replaced with another obsession eventually, as time will affect us less than now as far as charm on repetitions go.

To my observation, every generation has been obsessed that they are in the end times based on the year numbers, dreams, analysis, and other forms of divination. That their generation is more significant than all the rest because of it. That they had it tougher and had to walk to school in the snow... up hill... both ways.

To the degree that they go out and try and make a positive difference, I am all for it. But I am not going to alter my course just because everyone keeps yelling there is a train at the end of the tunnel. Yes it is. Everyone of us has our own individual train headed right for us. Jumping tracks will only get us a different train, possibly one alot closer.

Personally I think its a better use of my time to jump rope than to jump tracks. It has a much better chance of extending my time here :)

It's good to analyze and figure things out - finding patterns that have been hidden before. It's also important that I not let my analysis stand in the way of my progression as well.

Many people around the world were very concerned that the world could end at the

turn of the century, but nothing happened. We heard that computers would fail and

shut down. If the world is not blown up by nuclear explosion before the year 2012

then I think that it will just come and go like the turn of the century did.

This has always worked for me.....Live every day as if it were your last and plan for tomorrow. Some of us may not even make it to 2012 ??

My two cents worth is I don't believe that the year 2012 has to do with numbers at all.

2012 is the year that the Myans stopped making predictions. I think that this is all

connected to Astrology and has nothing to do with any numbers. By some astrological

way the Myans came to the year 12-21-2012. I think it has something to do with the

cosmos and how it is aligned at that partictular time and it just happened to fall on that

day. Many people believe in the Myans predictons and for them to stop all predictions

on the date 12-21-2012 is why people are concerned that it is coming and is close.

You are partially correct.

The Mayan calendar resets on the day that corresponds to the Gregorian calendar date of Dec. 21, 2012. The ancient Maya, according to current literature, were very astrological and believed that numbers held significance to heavenly events. So for them, 2012 is not the "end of the world", but rather, a rebirth (calendar reset=cultural/spiritual rebirth).

But as you say, the day will come and go and everyone will go about their lives as if nothing happened.

To my observation, every generation has been obsessed that they are in the end times based on the year numbers, dreams, analysis, and other forms of divination. That their generation is more significant than all the rest because of it. That they had it tougher and had to walk to school in the snow... up hill... both ways.

I generally agree with your observation

But the case here also has some characteristics of its own:

Emphasis on a specific date, with so many theories about it.

Much more time-dates-obsession than ever.

Much of the obsession is about time in general, not only about it ending.

And I also give you an explanation of what will change, and why this kind of obsession is now, and why the specific chosen date of change, was chosen.

You are partially correct.

The Mayan calendar resets on the day that corresponds to the Gregorian calendar date of Dec. 21, 2012. The ancient Maya, according to current literature, were very astrological and believed that numbers held significance to heavenly events. So for them, 2012 is not the "end of the world", but rather, a rebirth (calendar reset=cultural/spiritual rebirth).

But as you say, the day will come and go and everyone will go about their lives as if nothing happened.

Hello Freeztar, I have read things about the sun disk and that the sun is

becoming exhausted and could go completely out. Could this be connected

to the Myans stopping predictions at the year 2012? I have also read that

a wonderful event will happen in that time frame. Is it possible that a new

sun will appear and take the place of our current sun as it goes out ? I saw

on a special science documentary that at one time their were two suns. I don't know if this was real or just a thought somebody had ?

Considering that 21-12-2012 is 7-2-1434 in the Islamic calendar, does that imply that only those using the Gregorian calendar will be affected?

Islamic Calendar

No, but it imply that those using the Georgian calender are more to be obsessed with that date, than those using other calenders.

If you look closely, you'll probably see that most 2012 obsession comes from countries using the Gregorian Calender, not from countries using the Muslim calender.

You can, for sure, find other reasons for that, but still.