Science Forums

Evolution interferring with religion?

inside the sun

I have, and I was thinking about it as I wrote that post. Just thought it would add more confusion. I do like it, very accessable. Besides "the case for Christ," have you read "a new kind of chistian?" sounds like you would find it interesting.

I actually own it. It's a great book, although I'm not completely on the "postmodern" bandwagon quite yet. I do agree with many of its main points, though.

-jp

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's my understanding that the 'church' combined many different religions to come up with what is now Catholocism. They used parts of Judaism, Christianity, Gnosticism, and paganism. The intent was to create a religion that many different groups of conquered people could accept, while the church remained the ultimate authority. In this way, God was taken out of the equation, and a man was put in his place. Religion became more a way for the church to control the masses and less about a personal relationship with God.

I've never heard that before. My studies of the historical church have turned up nothing like that. The book "Church History in Plain Language" by Shelley is a great read to give you a step-by-step history of the church as a whole. Besides, I don't think Catholics would agree with that at all. Have you spoken to a Catholic historian about this?

Where did you get that information?

-jp

Most of the archeological evidence recently surfacing conflicts with the biblical stories and there is no corroborated evidence that Jesus as glorified in the gospels, ever existed. Biblical scholars have dismissed the external sources as forgeries. You can check the internet for multitudes of references for verification.

Hi there. Which Biblical scholars specifically? Which archaeological evidences? You didn't list anything specific.

Josephus and Tacitus are as accepted as any 1st, 2nd, and 3rd century authors. Look them up. What about the ossuaries.... you didn't address those.

-jp

I actually own it. It's a great book, although I'm not completely on the "postmodern" bandwagon quite yet. I do agree with many of its main points, though.

It's a good one. I meant to mention the second in that series though, The Story we Find Ourselves In. It's all about evolution and christianity, that's the main topic for the whole book. I recommend it if you've not read it already! :o

It's a good one. I meant to mention the second in that series though, The Story we Find Ourselves In. It's all about evolution and christianity, that's the main topic for the whole book. I recommend it if you've not read it already! :(

Hi Bumab! Very impressive. You've out-read me in contemporary Christian literature. I will have to get that book soon. I'm currently working on "Visioneering" by Andy Stanley. I also am going to be starting "7 Practices of Effective Ministry" by the same author.

That sounds very interesting, though. I didn't realize it had to do with evolution. That bumped it up to the top of my list. Thanks Bumab! :(

-jp

• 3 months later...