Science Forums

Let's Learn Ancient Egyptian Together

alexander

figured something out, about the puzzle.

second and third syllables are actually the same, if directly translit to sound, the word would read:

s d d Ah - with emphasis on the cap letter there

but in egyptology doubles produce stronger sound, like "i" and "i" produce a y as in way sound similarly here, the ds are closer to t-sound, it wouldn't be unfair to write this as s t t Ah, but the double produces a harsher sound, so they truncate to a single definitive D, thus sDA, or sDAh is a fair way to say this.

there lies the confusion, the word sdA means to depart, and is written without the second character, and usually with a pair of legs after it and obviously sDA is death, which merely changes legs to that weird sign (i will figure out what action sign that is in a bit, hopefully) and they make a harder D instead of a softer t-ish like sound

just came to me, couldn't get it out fast enough

What we need is a way to type or paste these symbols so that we can use them in this and other threads. :doh: like the ;) Smiles.

PS my book of preference that I've been reading is

"The Egyptian Book of The Dead"

(the papyrus of Ani) Egyptian text transliteration and translation

by E. A. Wallis Budge

this Dover edition, first published in 1967, is an unabridged reduplication of the work originally published in 1895 by the trustees of the British Museum.

{most likely more information then you need or want, but if we all know what books we are using as reference it might explain deferent interpretations.}

there lies the confusion, the word sdA means to depart, and is written without the second character, and usually with a pair of legs after it and obviously sDA is death, which merely changes legs to that weird sign (i will figure out what action sign that is in a bit, hopefully) and they make a harder D instead of a softer t-ish like sound

Is sDA a noun? Could it simply be that sDAh is the verb 'to die' where it is a noun without the action sign. As I know nothing of Egyptian, so I'm sure I'm wildly off base here.

~modest

speak classical phaoronic egyptian?

problem is the spoken language changed little throughout the years, the language changed in the way it was written, but they maintained the spoken word. Problem is it was far too many years prior to the modern world could document it properly, so now we basically make educated guesses as to the correct pronunciation of words, or even syllables.