Science Forums

Human height growth limitation age

vijay86

Beccareb stopped growing at 13, and is just over 5' tall. I stopped at 16 at just under 6'. I had my wisdom teeth, too.

If you've stopped growing, you're done, but I think the only other alternative would growth hormone, which no reliable endocrinologist prescribes for people over 5' tall.

Forensic anthropology has given a lot of help in this area. Although various parts of the body grow/stop growing at diferent stages, if I remember that most all growth (under normal circumstances) usually stops ot about 25. Through an examination of just a few specific measurements (bone radii at specific places, etc.) a pretty good estimate of stature can be derrived (Uusaully with a margin of error of only about 5-10%, although this can be even less if other correllary measurements are factored). Age/Sex/Race are all factors, but within these parameters there is a very direct ratio of various measurements to the over all stature of the individual). Other factors of the skeletal remains can also be used for determinig sex/age/race. The femur measurements mat be very similar between a 14 year boy and a 40 year old female, but various cranial fetures as well as pelvic stucture can give clues to age and sex. (The pelvic sturcture is quite different in male and female, as well as the texture of the pelvic bones change with age. Males have a occipital lobe on their skulls the females generally do not have).

I think height will always be relative of culture - if I go to Japan I'll be relatively tall, yet there are Japanese guys who dwarf me.

In Norway the average height for men is around 6' I think. So I'm a bit on the short side, yes. All my friends except one are well over 6'. :)

Tele, generally no. Male skulls have a lump on the back of the skull right above where your vert. column; females don't (Ususally). I'm not a forensic anthropologist, but this info comes from one of the most respect today, Dr. Willaim Bass. He talks about some of the age/sex/race variances in the skeleton in his book Death's Acre. (Not a bad read, but he's not the best writer. It can be a tad tedious at times as he likes to repeat himself from other chapters. A bit disjointed but interesting in the science of it anyway).

Male skulls have a lump on the back of the skull right above where your vert. column; females don't (Ususally).

Okay, that clears it up. I was wondering what you meant by "(... Males have a occipital lobe on their skulls the females generally do not have)" because the occipital bone is part of the skull, but the occipital lobe is part of the brain. So it was possible you might have meant that females are missing a gyrus or other portion of their occipital lobe, or were missing a portion of their occipital bone.

• 2 weeks later...

hello all of you,

i'am new on these forum but i need to ask something,

i'am studying the effect of height on the risk of cancer for my phd but i can't find any dataset about the evolution of height in the world population.

i'am looking for something complete with several years and at lease 30 countries.

if some one have this please e-mail me.