Science Forums

Moving our quizzes

Tormod

I am currently moving our old quiz collection from the old portal over to the forums, and I need some help giving the system a test.

Please click through some quizzes here:

http://hypography.com/quizfront.cfm

They are not categorized yet but there are 48 quizzes and I need them to be checked.

If you take a quiz, please post here which quiz you took and any errors and typos you find!

I took the Astronomy quiz (scored 80%) and found one error. Question #6 reads:

"How long did it take from the Catholic Church adopted Aristotle's ideas until they were tested by Galileo?"

and it should read:

"How long did it take from the time that the Catholic Church adopted Aristotle's ideas until they were tested by Galileo?"

Other than that, it was smooth sailing. :alien_dance:

I tried the Einstein quiz and managed 15 out of 20.

A few errors found:

#5 His parent - should be parents

#13 Friedrich Nietzshe should be Nietzsche

#17 In 1919 married Elsa. How did he meet Elsa Lowenthal, her?

the last word doesn't make sense - I think it should be

In 1919 married Elsa Lowenthal. How did he meet her?

#18 In 1999, Albert Einstein was named

should read

In 1999, Albert Einstein was named Person of the Century by which magazine?

I took the "Famous Inventors Quiz"

My Score: 19 of 20 (95%) [had to Google half of these :shade: ]

seven errors or questions found

Q: #1, Who invented the pacemaker?

A: Otis Boykin

(Most notably, his work enabled control functions for the first successful, implantable pacemaker.) his first patent in 1959 for a wire precision resistor.

But Canadian, John Hopps invented the first external cardiac pacemaker (size of a television set) in 1950.

and Swedish inventor Rune Elmqvist developed the first implantable pacemaker in 1958.

Q: #8, Who Invented the Pencil?

A: Joseph Dixon

Dixon introduced graphite pencils in 1829. when the American Civil War created a demand for a dry, clean, portable writing instrument and led to the mass production of pencils.

N. J. Conte, in 1795, successfully produced pencils, after the later famed Faber family of Nuremberg, Germany, failed to do so, by using a pulverized graphite base to create a substandard, crude prototype of a pencil

Who invented the pencil?

His real name is Nicolas-Jacque Conte.

Q: #9, Who invented the steam machine?

A: Matthias W. Baldwin

American manufacturer of steam locomotive. He opened his machine shop in 1825. The business grew to become Baldwin Locomotive Works, one of the most prolific and successful locomotive manufacturing firms in America.

The steam engine was not so much invented as developed. To give credit to any one person would be to steal credit away from its many rightful owners. The steam engine was developed over a period of about a hundred years by three British inventors. The Invention of the Steam Engine

(Thomas Savery, of England, in 1698)

(Thomas Newcomen, also of England.)

( James Watt, a Scottish engineer, in 1763)

Q: #13, Who invented the steam locomotive?

A: Peter Cooper

Tom Thumb was the first American-built steam locomotive used on a common-carrier railroad. Designed and built by Peter Cooper in 1830,

After ten months' labor, George Stephenson's locomotive "Blucher" was completed and tested on the Cillingwood Railway on July 25, 1814. The track was an uphill trek of four hundred and fifty feet. George Stephenson's engine hauled eight loaded coal wagons weighing thirty tons, at about four miles an hour. This was the first steam engined powered locomotive to run on a railroad and it was the most successful working steam engine that had ever been constructed up to this period, this encouraged the inventor make further experiments. In all, Stephenson built sixteen different engines.

George Stephenson - The First Steam Locomotive Engine

Q: #17, Who invented the sewing machine?

Should it read?:

Who invented the first commercially successful sewing machine?

The History of the Sewing Machine - Elias Howe and Isaac Singer

Q: #18, Who invented the submarine?

A: John Phillip Holland (Note: Philip only one "L")

was an engineer who developed the first submarine to be formally commissioned by the U.S. Navy (though not the first American submarine, see American Civil War submarines, and the earlier Nautilus and Turtle) and the first ever Royal Navy submarine, the Holland 1.

John Philip Holland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Q: #18, Who invented the gas mask?

A: Garrett Morgan

Morgan observed that smoke and fumes tend to rise during a fire. The device consisted of a heat-resistant hood connected to a long inlet tube that ran down to the ground to the layer of clean air beneath the smoke or gas. The end of the tube was plugged with absorbent material that was moistened before use to filter and cool air that was inhaled. A separate tube containing a valve provided an outlet for exhaled air. Science Museum - Online Stuff - Garrett Morgan

was this the first, and is it realy a gas mask, it surely was a good invension for it's time.

Gas Masks - History

Took the astronomy quiz and found 3 questionable answers.

#3: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but rather made improvements to its design.

#6: This question is very vague, but generally, Aristotle's philosophy and church theology didn't begin to merge until the advent of scholasticism in the early middle ages, and took many forms. It was finally the views of Thomas Aquinas, in the 1200's, that formed Catholic doctrine.

#12: No one person can be credited with "inventing" the thermometer, It was developed by many people. Air thermometers were used as early as the 1100's.

• 2 weeks later...
I took the Astronomy quiz (scored 80%) and found one error. Question #6...

Fixed!

I took the "Roman Numerals Quiz"

my Score:17 of 20 (85%)

Question 20 reads

Fixed! (I hope...) :)

I tried the Einstein quiz and managed 15 out of 20.

A few errors found:

Fixed!

I took the "Famous Inventors Quiz"

My Score: 19 of 20 (95%) [had to Google half of these ;) ]

seven errors or questions found

A very insightful post and some changes have been made. You should write a quiz, Doug!

Took the astronomy quiz and found 3 questionable answers.

#3: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but rather made improvements to its design.

Wording changed.

#6: This question is very vague, but generally, Aristotle's philosophy and church theology didn't begin to merge until the advent of scholasticism in the early middle ages, and took many forms. It was finally the views of Thomas Aquinas, in the 1200's, that formed Catholic doctrine.

Not sure how to change this question. Maybe I should rewrite it.

#12: No one person can be credited with "inventing" the thermometer, It was developed by many people. Air thermometers were used as early as the 1100's.

Changed to "When was the mercury thermometer invented".

Managed 10 out of 14 on the math quiz.

The only problem I found is in the intro:

Fixed!

Thanks to all of you. Now we have only 43 quizzes to go...

I just took the music quiz and found a question that has a wrong "correct answer". (shame on you Tormod ;) )

Question #12: What is harmonization?

The answer listed as correct is:

When two (or more) of the same notes occur at the same time, within separate octaves.

Harmony can be this, but it can also be different notes within the same octave (ie chords). If I'm singing a C (in the key of C), then you might harmonize over it with a G in the same octave.

Therefore, I think the answer I put is more correct:

A group of notes within an octave sung along with the melody.

But really, the answer needs to be much less ambiguous.

Also, question #6:

What orchestra category does the piano fall under?

Has a correct answer of:

Absurd, the piano isn't part of the orchestra!

I beg to differ. Although piano is not a traditional orchestral instrument, they are often used in orchestras. So this question is a bit misleading.

Piano concerto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good quiz overall though. :hihi:

Oh yeah, question #3's answer needs to change from beat to beats.

Sounds like that music quiz is a bit messed up. The piano is technically not part of the orchestra but it belongs in the percussion section when not used as a solo instrument.

The "harmonization" answer is simply plain wrong!!! Strange...the current "correct" question is the definition of octaves...

Edit: Fixed the quiz. :hihi:

I took the Singapore quiz. Not because I know a lot about it, but because I wanted to. Google gave me most of the answers :shrug:

The only problem I found is in Question #1, choice 3: Arounf 450,000

And a more general "design" problem. A few times, on this quiz and others, I've accidentally hit the radio button below the answer I wanted to give, instead of the one above it. 'Twould be loads better if the button could be alongside the answer, or if a line space could separate the pairs.

I took the "Hubble Space Telescope Quiz "

My Score: 15 of 20 (75%)

Only Two errors found. (and a trick question or two)

Q: #3, What was special about the Space Shuttle flight STS-31, on which Hubble was launched?

A: It required a record 5 spacewalks

OK! you had me on this one for a min or two, but then I figured out you probably meant Space Shuttle flight STS-61 the first Hubble Space Telescope servicing mission, and the fifth flight of the Space Shuttle Endeavour. The mission launched on December 2, 1993

The final shuttle flight of 1993 was one of most challenging and complex manned missions ever attempted. During a record five back-to-back space walks totaling 35 hours and 28 minutes' date=' two teams of astronauts completed the first servicing of the Hubble Space Telescope (HST). [/quote']

NASA - STS-61

Q: #20, How many observations had been made by the Hubble Space Telescope as of April 2005?

A: 700,000

1, The Hubble Space Telescope has taken about 750,00 images in its 15 years in space. Celebrating the launch on April 24, 1990, Hubble officials released two more pretty pictures.

SPACE.com -- Happy 15th, Hubble! Two Stunning New Pictures