Science Forums

Obscure but great movies!

Moontanman

You guys know way more about obscurity than I ever claimed to. But what the hell...my two cents:

Japanese obscure movie: The Mysterians. Incredible stop-action scenes. Okay, they're cheesy as hell.

French obscure movie: Babbette's Feast. Just heart-warming, that's all.

American obscure movie: Robinson Crusoe on Mars. No excuse. :)

You guys know way more about obscurity than I ever claimed to. But what the hell...my two cents:

Japanese obscure movie: The Mysterians. Incredible stop-action scenes. Okay, they're cheesy as hell.

French obscure movie: Babbette's Feast. Just heart-warming, that's all.

American obscure movie: Robinson Crusoe on Mars. No excuse. :)

Ohhhhh!!!! :) Do not misundertake your obscurity dear Winston! I love Babette's Feast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, but I have been searching for it under my own misundertaking that the film was older than that and titled The Lottery, or some such variation. :doh:

It's something more complex than simply heart(h)warming. Makes me get a hankerin' for duck, that's all. :D

Has no one yet mentioned Zardoz? It's one of Sean Connery's best. :)

I...had...no...idea. :D

It's a trip watching that trailer. For one, it's like the Twi-light Zone realizing that Sean Connery even made a film like that. I think that one has been suppressed on purpose. Secondly, could you imagine sitting in the theater with your date watching the previews to your flick when Zardoz comes on? I'm sure there were quite a few murmurs after that trailer ended. :doh:

The Piano

It is the story of a Scottish woman named Ada (Holly Hunter), who has been mute since age 6 because she simply chose not to speak. Ada travels with her daughter Flora (Anna Paquin) and her beloved piano to a remote spot on the coast of New Zealand for an arranged marriage to a farmer (Sam Neill). She gives piano lessons to a gruff neighbor (Harvey Keitel) who has Maori tattoos on his face, and, well, things develop from there. The picture takes on a powerful dream logic that simply defies synopsis.

The Cook The Thief His Wife & Her Lover

A 1989 black comedy, known as much for its depiction of cannibalism and frontal nudity as for its lavish and often breathtaking cinematography and formalism.

I read this and it reminded me of Delicatessen, a French black comedy, and then that reminded me of The City of Lost Children, a movie by the same director.