Science Forums

DON"T PANIC!

Fishteacher73

Sanctus's post about Red Dwarf made me think about the movie that I am truly looking forward to this summer...The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is supposed to be released. Is anyone else excited like I am? This harkens back to the good old days of middle school, watching Monty Python and the Young Ones on Mtv and reading Douglas Adams....Maybe I am a dork...... :cup:

"Hey baby, don't waste your time with this guy, I'm from another planet." -- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Definitely waiting for this one, but they'd better do a better job than they did on Thunderbirds...

So, how many Python fans DO we have here? "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

42!

Buffy

I usually love almost every movie, but thunderbirds...I didn't even bother seeing.
That was the problem. No one showed up. It wasn't too bad actually, although it played kind of like a middling Star Trek episode (Jonathan Frakes produced it). Go rent it on DVD.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1....

Buffy

Python fan here!

I also have "increasingly inaccurately named Trilogy of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and various other books by Adams...plus a biography about him which was too damn boring.

But the best bits are the CDs of BBC's original Hitchhiker radio series. Yum yum. :cup:

"How can you fly?" "It's enough to forget to fall...."

I don't know if they will be able to make a good movie, it's very hard to not fall down just on stupid humour. By the way have you read all the 5 books? After the fourth one it was a bit boring, do you suggest to start reading the fifth?

Partial Monthy-Python fan, I liked the life of Brian, but didn't like all the episodes of the meaning of life..

By the way did you know that on the net you can find sites full pages that show all the possible uses of a white towel?

• 2 months later...

(Glad to be able to revive a thread for this post): Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Movie came out last weekend. Its *great*! Sam Rockwell is brilliant as Zaphod, and ditto Zooey Deschanel as Trillian/Trisha. Its got twists, so even if you've listened to/watched/read all its previous incarnations it leaves you pleasantly surprised. There's even a cameo role by one of the stars of the TV show (no spoilers, if you want to know now, check imdb.com). You can see that Doug Adams had his hand in this (most of the script and development was done before he died). The special effects are spectacular, and the Vogons are, well, extremely Vogonish...

Parents warning: Uh, none! I turned a ten-year-old girl into a big HHGG fan!

Four stars. Joe Bob sez, "Check It Out."

Cheers,

Buffy

I'm taking the family to see it tonight.

I've been a fan of HHGTTG since the original radio series, and have that on three 120-minute cassettes (I'm still waiting for the first of them to resurface from the detritus in my music room :xx: but at least I have the second and third ones). I'll get them onto CD eventually once I've got them all.

I'm also old enough to have watched the original Mony Python's Flying Circus TV show way back when. I think that was my introduction to bizarre comedy.

Have you read "The Salmon of Doubt" which was released posthumously? It's the partially completed third Dirk Gently book, along with some articles, lectures and short stories by Adams. Definitely well worth the read.

Fans of Douglas Adams should have a read of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series -- the first book is "The Colour of Magic" and is vaguely similar to Adams' style, but it's all wizards, trolls, dwarfs and stuff -- very funny. It's a fairly large series -- he's still writing them -- but they keep getting better and better.