Science Forums

Environmentally/Socially Responsible Investing

Grains

I have been urging a lot my endowment and corporate accounts to begin exploring the idea of environmentally and socially responsible investing.

I believe that if your mission statement / philosophy is one thing your investment mentality should be no different. To many times I have found that XYZ Environmental Inc has 60% of it's money in oil stocks.

Do you invest in socially and environmentally responsible investments?

Do you think that it is worth sacrificing your overall investment return for yourself as most of the managed investments in this arena lag its peers who do not invest consciously?

I have been urging a lot my endowment and corporate accounts to begin exploring the idea of environmentally and socially responsible investing.

I believe that if your mission statement / philosophy is one thing your investment mentality should be no different. To many times I have found that XYZ Environmental Inc has 60% of it's money in oil stocks.

Do you invest in socially and environmentally responsible investments?

Do you think that it is worth sacrificing your overall investment return for yourself as most of the managed investments in this arena lag its peers who do not invest consciously?

If I indeed had money to invest i would invest it in the place with the highest return then then give some money to environmental groups I had some sort of interest in. Like maybe the pro nuclear power movement.

If I indeed had money to invest i would invest it in the place with the highest return then then give some money to environmental groups I had some sort of interest in. Like maybe the pro nuclear power movement.

I agree with you. My personal money that I put away I want to grow as much as possible. With the larger environmental companies and endowments I feel like they have an oath to invest in things parallel to their mission but they feel the same way we do. There is a contradiction here. Where do we draw the line?

I agree with you. My personal money that I put away I want to grow as much as possible. With the larger environmental companies and endowments I feel like they have an oath to invest in things parallel to their mission but they feel the same way we do. There is a contradiction here. Where do we draw the line?

Well for me it's a moot point but investing money should go where ever you can make the most if you are an individual. then it is on your head what you do with the money. I would use some of the money I made to support causes I was interested in, and nuclear power really is one of them, but to be able to do that I would have to have money to begin with. investing "green" is not only a iffy type thing since you really don't know where they invest your money, and if they really do invest green instead of for money then you are wasting your money. but I seldom agree with even the real "green" people since I think that nuclear power will save our civilization and our insane fear of it will be our down fall. few so called green companies will touch nuclear with ten foot pole because the green movement has made it the "demon" of the world and guilt by association can kill a company.

What needs to happen is that people can make money by investing in good/green things. I think Al Gore tried something like this and got hammered by right wing neoconservative AM talk radio morons.

What do you guys think about investing in companies who make solar panels, and the machines that make those?

What needs to happen is that people can make money by investing in good/green things. I think Al Gore tried something like this and got hammered by right wing neoconservative AM talk radio morons.

What do you guys think about investing in companies who make solar panels, and the machines that make those?

I think investing in the companies who make solar panels and machines to make those is a great idea. I also think that there are a lot of other "green" investments that show tremendous opportunity.

The problem is environmental companies and endowments do not share are opinion and view these investments as a waste of their money (large portion of it) for the current time being. I personally believe these are great long term investments that will produce dividends and returns that will be beneficial to their investors. The problem is most investors won't put their money there now. How do we tip the scale?

Depends on if the solar panels are being made green! Much of the solar power industry is quite a bit less than green when it come to pollution in the manufacturing process.