Science Forums

Tunguska!

Moontanman

Monday will be the 100 year anniversary of the Tunguska blast. Does anyone have their own pet theories as what occurred in distant time and place?

I like the alien nuclear powered space ship that exploded due to a malfunction when it was trying to land idea:hihi:

Monday will be the 100 year anniversary of the Tunguska blast. Does anyone have their own pet theories as what occurred in distant time and place?

I like the alien nuclear powered space ship that exploded due to a malfunction when it was trying to land idea:hihi:

Yepper, just like area 51, Super intelligent advanced civilization they are just really really bad drivers. :steering: :earth:

Hi Moontanman,

It's interesting if you get a map with a Mercator projection of our planet and have a look at the straight line trajectories (starting with lakes and ending in rocks) that could be left on the surface of our planet by space rocks following consistent paths (i.e. from the same group of space collision debris).

The older books on ancient maps and the latin names used on these maps also go for interesting reading. Even myths and legends contribute to our knowledge of past astronomical events. Some scientists have even speculated that Homers 'Odyssey' has a unique sequence of astronomical events that may be used to pinpoint when the Trojan War occurred.

I don't really have any pet theories apart from pointing out that Mount Saint Patrick (the only commercial gold deposit left in Ireland) lies equidistant between Tunguska and New York (where they found 5 tons of molten gold at the bottom of one of the WTC towers). I always wondered why St Pat was always described as 'having spread his light over the entire country' before 'he' died.

Gotland, which lies on the line between Tunguska and Mount St Patrick, is in a Norse legend that tells us that Forseti (truth and Justice), son of Balder, guided the 12 wise vikings to Gotland where 'he' stamped his foot, creating a lake, and then disappeared.

The attached image (in very poor detail, sorry) shows some of these potential trajectories (there seems to be three main directions) with some medieval emblems laid over them. Considering Australia's Aboriginals have been here for around 40,000 years, surely the display of lights in the sky over the years would be just like a rainbow serpent to them.

I would hope that someone is seriously going to try to interpret the past from the myth and religious records we have available today.

Hi Moontanman,

It's interesting if you get a map with a Mercator projection of our planet and have a look at the straight line trajectories (starting with lakes and ending in rocks) that could be left on the surface of our planet by space rocks following consistent paths (i.e. from the same group of space collision debris).

The older books on ancient maps and the latin names used on these maps also go for interesting reading. Even myths and legends contribute to our knowledge of past astronomical events. Some scientists have even speculated that Homers 'Odyssey' has a unique sequence of astronomical events that may be used to pinpoint when the Trojan War occurred.

I don't really have any pet theories apart from pointing out that Mount Saint Patrick (the only commercial gold deposit left in Ireland) lies equidistant between Tunguska and New York (where they found 5 tons of molten gold at the bottom of one of the WTC towers). I always wondered why St Pat was always described as 'having spread his light over the entire country' before 'he' died.

Gotland, which lies on the line between Tunguska and Mount St Patrick, is in a Norse legend that tells us that Forseti (truth and Justice), son of Balder, guided the 12 wise vikings to Gotland where 'he' stamped his foot, creating a lake, and then disappeared.

The attached image (in very poor detail, sorry) shows some of these potential trajectories (there seems to be three main directions) with some medieval emblems laid over them. Considering Australia's Aboriginals have been here for around 40,000 years, surely the display of lights in the sky over the years would be just like a rainbow serpent to them.

I would hope that someone is seriously going to try to interpret the past from the myth and religious records we have available today.

I have always thought that some of what we call myths and legends actually have some grain of truth at their most basic level. I think it's meteor crater in Arizona that the Native Americans have legends about that say something fell from the sky and left the crater even though the crater was formed before there were any Native Americans (supposedly, you might get a different view from some archeologist's) I wonder how the Tunguska blast would have been interpreted if it had happened in medieval Europe? Maybe if it had hit the Vatican:evil:

Does anyone have their own pet theories as what occurred in distant time and place?

I know what happened, but i'm not supposed to tell you, 100 years ago we were traveling to a distant star to test our latest research on black hole making. unfortunately, some ******* back at base, stocked us with some expired space gigaton beans, and it just-so happened that we were traveling over earth and had to make a stop, unfortunately flutulation of the gigatonn beans-size is not something that should be attempted in the ship (the ship manual says that) and we had to make an urgent stop on earth, and yeah, rip a big one.... We then found life forms on the surface of this tiny planet that were utmost similar to ourselves, only they run on organic fuel, and are much, much more primitive then ourselves, so myself and my comrade were left here for 200 years to observe these life forms, it turns out our exhaust is the the main cause of change in the delicate climate of this planet though, i wanted to bring in one of our atmosphere cooling units, but my calculations show that one second of running it, would cause the oceans to freeze....

You guys are crazy to even think something hit the planet... pshht, or even worse, a bad driver..... far too superior to drive ourselves you know, driving is only allowed in the areas and vehicles certified by the intergalactic racing association, and only in a few universes....

I have always thought that some of what we call myths and legends actually have some grain of truth at their most basic level. I think it's meteor crater in Arizona that the Native Americans have legends about that say something fell from the sky and left the crater even though the crater was formed before there were any Native Americans (supposedly, you might get a different view from some archeologist's)

Hi Moontanman,

A couple of years ago a mining company called Dragon Mining obtained a gold mining lease in Finnland and the authorities were worried about the reindeers. The mining company countered by saying that they were only going in with trucks and loaders to pick the deposit up off the ground. Beowolf is the oldest (old) english story recorded and it tells of dragons flying in the sky and comming down only when their hoards (i.e. just like LOTR which was based on european myths and legends) are found and threatened. It looks like the mining company had a lucky windfall.

I wonder how the Tunguska blast would have been interpreted if it had happened in medieval Europe? Maybe if it had hit the Vatican:evil:

From an earlier period Virgils 'Aenid' and Homers 'Iliad' both describe how their respective heroes took delivery of their gold and silver armour from the gods. Virgil describes it as a large thunderclap on a clear day. And I also suspect that during one of the invasions of Rome the invaders were led by a bright star (possibly like the star of Bethlehem) that ended up coming down to earth (I think it created a lake in solid rock).

For a society that hides away from the night we seem to be much less observant about what actually happens in the night sky because many of us just don't look there anymore or are afraid.

Even disintergrated space shuttles appear much like a space object breaking up on re-entry. Why shouldn't we expect our ancestors to regard similar astronomical events as an invitation to follow the path and collect their presents (would an iron core glow red and lead the way, onya Rudolph?)(or a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow) or even identify the dragons lair and steal its hoard?

BTW, if you extend this theory to the times when the major religions first started to appear you can even get timings that move around the planet from east to west as they evolved. The implications of this progression are obvious and it appears that the current location of any 'return' is somewhere in the Atlantic, moving slowly towards the USA.

You guys are crazy to even think something hit the planet... pshht, or even worse, a bad driver..... far too superior to drive ourselves you know, driving is only allowed in the areas and vehicles certified by the intergalactic racing association, and only in a few universes....

Hi Alexander,

Any more info about Kazakhstans secret space program for us mere mortals?:)

Hi Moontanman,

A couple of years ago a mining company called Dragon Mining obtained a gold mining lease in Finnland and the authorities were worried about the reindeers. The mining company countered by saying that they were only going in with trucks and loaders to pick the deposit up off the ground. Beowolf is the oldest (old) english story recorded and it tells of dragons flying in the sky and comming down only when their hoards (i.e. just like LOTR which was based on european myths and legends) are found and threatened. It looks like the mining company had a lucky windfall.

AG, as far as I know the only metal that have ever been found in reasonably mine able form from a meteor are iron and nickle. Gold needs geological and biological processes to concentrate into visible nuggets and mine able deposits.

From an earlier period Virgils 'Aenid' and Homers 'Iliad' both describe how their respective heroes took delivery of their gold and silver armour from the gods. Virgil describes it as a large thunderclap on a clear day. And I also suspect that during one of the invasions of Rome the invaders were led by a bright star (possibly like the star of Bethlehem) that ended up coming down to earth (I think it created a lake in solid rock).

I have read that a star fell from the sky on the eve a great Roman battle and the Roman leader took this as a sign that the Christian God was on his side and after winning the battle he proclaimed Christianity as the state religion of Rome. There is a small crater in the spot where the star was supposed to have fallen. Whether or not the crater is of meteoric origin is debatable.

For a society that hides away from the night we seem to be much less observant about what actually happens in the night sky because many of us just don't look there anymore or are afraid.

Except for the people who see UFO's of course!

Even disintergrated space shuttles appear much like a space object breaking up on re-entry. Why shouldn't we expect our ancestors to regard similar astronomical events as an invitation to follow the path and collect their presents (would an iron core glow red and lead the way, onya Rudolph?)(or a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow) or even identify the dragons lair and steal its hoard?

No doubt most if not all meteors would have been seen as signs from God.

BTW, if you extend this theory to the times when the major religions first started to appear you can even get timings that move around the planet from east to west as they evolved. The implications of this progression are obvious and it appears that the current location of any 'return' is somewhere in the Atlantic, moving slowly towards the USA.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by location of the return being the Atlantic ocean moving toward the USA

Since we are talking about the Tunguska blast what does any one think of the possibility of a repeat on June 30? Is it higher every year on that date or every few years or is that date just a coincidence? If I remember correctly the blast was connected with a belt of meteor or comet debris.

Any more info about Kazakhstans secret space program for us mere mortals?

It because only 4 woman on the project, they were prostitute for the project director, in Kazakhstan it is illegal for more than five woman to be in the same place, except for in brothel or in grave. (part of that is a quote from Borat the movie)

Hey, i figured i should make up my own crazy tunguska story, so many people have seemed to, i thought i should join the club.... besides tunguska being a big fart sounded like something funny to say :)

Hi Moontanman,

AG, as far as I know the only metal that have ever been found in reasonably mine able form from a meteor are iron and nickle. Gold needs geological and biological processes to concentrate into visible nuggets and mine able deposits.

I don't doubt that gold is refined in geological or biological processes all I am saying is that anything metallic that hits with enough force to start volcanic activity will start the process i.e. like a boil.

I have read that a star fell from the sky on the eve a great Roman battle and the Roman leader took this as a sign that the Christian God was on his side and after winning the battle he proclaimed Christianity as the state religion of Rome. There is a small crater in the spot where the star was supposed to have fallen. Whether or not the crater is of meteoric origin is debatable.

That's probably the one I was referring to. Virgils work was a praise piece for the emperor (Augustus in 29BC) so was in the pre christian era. Hmm, similar to Saint Patricks light shining over the land.

Except for the people who see UFO's of course!

Don't forget the ones who were in the Heavens Gate cult.

No doubt most if not all meteors would have been seen as signs from God.

And were probably recorded in the religious records or incorporated in the myths and legends over time. That's exactly what I am talking about.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by location of the return being the Atlantic ocean moving toward the USA

If you follow the progressions of the foundation of the major religions (from Buddhism to Christianity to Islam) you will see that they sweep from east to west across our planet in what appears to be a chronological order.

BTW, don't forget about the nuclear sized blast that occurred over the mediterranean nearly 10 years ago. Back then they started recording them as there could be a possibility that some national leaders would take the explosions as agressive actions from their enemies.

Since we are talking about the Tunguska blast what does any one think of the possibility of a repeat on June 30? Is it higher every year on that date or every few years or is that date just a coincidence? If I remember correctly the blast was connected with a belt of meteor or comet debris.

At 7:17 am?

If the comet/meteor had a 100 year cycle (exactly) it might be possible.

Hey, i figured i should make up my own crazy tunguska story, so many people have seemed to, i thought i should join the club.... besides tunguska being a big fart sounded like something funny to say :shrug:

Hi Alexander,

So you read the New Scientist article too. Gas was one of the alternative theories but I'll have to correct you.

Tunguska might be the biggest ignited fart in our worlds history:).

Hi Moontanman,

I don't doubt that gold is refined in geological or biological processes all I am saying is that anything metallic that hits with enough force to start volcanic activity will start the process i.e. like a boil.

I don't think that's the type of processes that bring gold around to the surface in it's concentrated form but that is really the stuff of another thread.

That's probably the one I was referring to. Virgils work was a praise piece for the emperor (Augustus in 29BC) so was in the pre christian era. Hmm, similar to Saint Patricks light shining over the land.

I wonder how any other important things in history were decided by random events that had no real basis in the reality of the situation.

Don't forget the ones who were in the Heavens Gate cult.

And were probably recorded in the religious records or incorporated in the myths and legends over time. That's exactly what I am talking about.

While I'm sure this is true, I wonder how the idea that the sky was a fixed perfect place with no change at all and the powers that be who refused to believe that rocks fell from the sky and how reports of meteors were usually scoffed at by those powers but then they would turn around and proclaim these lights in the sky to be signs from god. It seems a little bit contradictory to me not to mention self serving. A quote from Thomas Jefferson seems in order here "I would rather believe that a Yankee professor would lie than to believe that rocks could fall from the sky" or something like that:hihi:

If you follow the progressions of the foundation of the major religions (from Buddhism to Christianity to Islam) you will see that they sweep from east to west across our planet in what appears to be a chronological order.

I see what you mean but would the meteors always be in the west to be followed?

BTW, don't forget about the nuclear sized blast that occurred over the mediterranean nearly 10 years ago. Back then they started recording them as there could be a possibility that some national leaders would take the explosions as agressive actions from their enemies.

That was over the Indian ocean not the Mediterranean but if had been just a few minutes later it would have been over the battle ground of the first gulf war and might have resulted in a nuclear strike by the US.

At 7:17 am?

If the comet/meteor had a 100 year cycle (exactly) it might be possible.

Some possibilities for the tunguska event.

Tunguska event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comet Encke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Meteor shower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beta Taurids - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia