Science Forums

Quickest way to get to The Super Earth, will this work?

I recall reading a book by Issac Asimov on the topic of star travel, and IIRC his idea was a hollowed out asteriod, and thousands of years travel time even to the closest stars. Given our current technology, IMHO, no one has come up with with a better idea yet.

I'm betting that after we get orbiting space colonies perfected we will be able to accelerate a a large orbiting toroidal colony to around .5% of the speed of light using magnetic sails and nuclear powered ion drives. this should give us at least 200 years per light year of travel and with a self contained colony that wouldn't really be looking for habitable planets but just raw materials to make more colonies the future looks very bright!

Oh, I completely believe you've given it your all, your complete ability. The fact of the matter is that you don't have the ability to prove that it will work or the ability to prove anyone's refutations wrong.

Saying that that is to the best of my ability is a flat out lie, it's to the best of my knowledge at the time being.

We're a science forum and when someone comes around proclaiming I've got the best way in the world to get to Gliese we expect them to prove it and do so with real science. Now, can you SUPPORT your claim or not?

You know what your doing right now Clay? Your provoking me, asking rhetorical questions to raddle my cage, first class baiting.

Since I'm the bigger man I'm not going to listen to you. And if you continue I will report you.

I like your ideas Gardamorg, they are a little bit behind the curve but you keep on pursuing them with all you have and one day it will be you having the last laugh. Every one starts some where, you obviously have started out a little ahead of most people. Most of us are way behind and at an age where we don't even have a chance to get up to speed much less do anything really creative. Your ideas are creative, don't stop thinking that way.......

Since I'm the bigger man I'm not going to listen to you. And if you continue I will report you.

Oh... dude. You really couldn't have put your foot in your mouth harder than you did above.

You do realize, don't you, that when you "report a post" that it gets directed to the site staff, specifically the Admins? You do also realize, don't you, that C1ay is one of the most active site admins here?

Just because he asks you to support your points and address criticisms doesn't mean that he is trying to provoke you. If ANYTHING, he is trying to provoke you into understanding the weaknesses of your idea and provoke you into improving it.

Also, I've read MANY of Janus' posts here, and while you can choose to disregard them if you'd like, I'd suggest otherwise. Not only is he incredibly knowledgable on this topic, but he's also an amazingly gifted teacher. You should embrace the opportunity to learn from his reactions, and be thankful that he cares enough to respond to your ideas and try to help you.

Let go of the ego, open the book, learn the math, and you may find better answers. That is all.

I recall reading a book by Issac Asimov on the topic of star travel, and IIRC his idea was a hollowed out asteriod, and thousands of years travel time even to the closest stars. Given our current technology, IMHO, no one has come up with with a better idea yet.

What would work better is a god sized solar powered space station/battery canon close enough to the sun to absorb enough solar energy to power the battery canons for thousands of years, these battery canons will be pushing a leightweight solar sail using lasers or microwave transmitters, according to a scientist named Frisbee, "Microwave transmitters can be used to blast the sail until it heats to 2000 Kelvin, which would accelerate the sail at 100's of G's to get the sail up to 1/10th the speed of light."

Now larger battery canons (Like the ones I'm talking about) can produce stronger microwave transmissions.

Let go of the ego, open the book, learn the math, and you may find better answers. That is all.

He didn't ask me to support my claims, he ignorantly asked a rhetorical question to get my goat.

And you don't have to be a complete dick to help me out, you simply point out that I'm wrong, tell me how I'm wrong, and give me advice to improve, I don't take kindly to dicks.

Yeah.

Okay then, chief.

Just keep doing what you're doing then.

I know all too well, what the conciquences of my actions will be, but that doesn't change the fact that he is abusing his authority for personal benefit.

And you know how I respond to that?

Lets just put it this way Clay, if your gonna ban me, ban me, if not, get lost.

But you have not committed a bannable offense. You have simply failed to see where your idea does not work. You have simply failed to use the feedback you've received to improve and adjust it. You have failed to realize that the responses you've received are trying to direct you toward the correct answer.

You've failed to do many things except convey an indignant attitude.

But you have not committed a bannable offense. You have simply failed to see where your idea does not work. You have simply failed to use the feedback you've received to improve and adjust it. You have failed to realize that the responses you've received are trying to direct you toward the correct answer.

You've failed to do many things except convey an indignant attitude.

I see where my idea doesn't work, I saw that a while back, I know it doesn't work, and I now know why. I'm not stupid, I haven't improved it yet no, and the responses might have been to help me, but they were mean, and cruel, and I didn't appreciate them.

I know that I'm not going to appreciate a lot of things in life, and that life is hardly fair, but I also know that life only makes sense when you force it to.

If this was a job I'd suck up to the criticism, and thats extremely hard for me to do, trust me, it's very hard for me to do, but this isn't a job, and I lost the strength to take offenses that I don't have to. And I'm not sure thats a bad thing.