Science Forums

Which "sixth sense" do you consider most likely to be real?

mynah

#1, making an electric wall clock run backward.

All you need is a friend who is gullible and likes to run his mouth. Catch him when he is watching the clock and get him to look away and claim very whole heartedly "look I made the clock ruin backward!" Of course you say "man! you missed it, don't look away this time" then as he stares at the clock make sure you make him wait long enough for attention to wander then proclaim again " Damn, you missed it again" If you picked the right person after a few of these he begins to see that the clock is running backward even though he really didn't see it. Then he goes around telling every one what he "saw" voilà, instant telekinesis!

#2 Blinking/exploding fluorescent lights. first you scope out fluorescent lights that are already blinking/malfunctioning in some way. then you time the blink (yes it is usually a regular thing) then you tell your coworkers you are going to make the light blink, then in a commanding voice you point at the light as it goes out. I used to do this all the time and no one caught on at all. fortunately there were thousands of lights in my work area and a good percentage of them would blink at certain times of the day. Most people never see them blink or don't pay attention. the exploding one was a fluke but you can believe it added to my reputation in a big way.

#3 OBEs, I really can't explain those, they really seemed to be real.

#4 street lights, again timing is crucial, I used to jog at night and I noticed that some of the street lights would go out from time to time, I also noticed the lights would flicker at a very fast and hard to see rate just before they went out.. Once I knew which lights went out and had the timing right it was easy to fake the whole walking under the lights as they go out thing.

#5 the telephone calls were easy, most people don't remember the ordinary only the unusual. so no one noticed when I went to the phone and it didn't ring. but when I went to the phone to use it and it rang and it was my wife I made sure everyone knew. since my wife would call me several times a night it was a sure bet we would cross lines from time to time. Since no one remembered the times when it didn't happen but remembered the times it did.....

#5 the death dreams, once you have a reputation for being psychic you can claim almost anything and have people believe it!

It's all smoke and mirrors, but I did get my office out of it and a lot if information about how people think and perceive the things around them. A lot of people really want to believe in strange things, when you give them a reason to hang their need for the unusual on they take it hook line and sinker.

I know the smoke part but how do you use the mirror.:(

I used both as often as possible back then. I grew tired of this **** after a several years but I tried it on my sons when they were young and they caught on very quickly. As a matter of fact we team up on my wife to convence her of sillynes, she doesn't belive anything any of us say any more! Spoil sport!

We only use a small portion of our brain the rest of it is unused so metaphorically it is sealed off.
Oddly enough, since the invention of positron emission tomagraphy, we have been able to track the activities of the brain in three dimensions and in real time. Fascinating!!

We use ALL our brain, Isomotopes.

That old canard about using only a small portion of our brain was just an old wives tale, a popular common myth, with evidence behind it at all. It was never true.

When I was much younger, in high school, a friend of mine was involved in this programmed called Silva Mind Control. He convinced me to go. I still remember their slogan was "everyday in every way I am getting better, better, and better". It was very positive. One thing I still use is a pain control technique. The instructor planted the hypnotic suggestion. I was skeptical about the ESP claims, until we did the part of the program called cases.

The way it worked was there was a reader and seer. The reader had index cards on which former members wrote the description of a medical condition they had. Part of the exercise was to think about the person, sending them healing energy. The seer would try to guess what was on the card by closing their eyes and trying to visualize. The information you were given was the name and city-state. That particular day the smallest children were hitting 80-90%.

I thought it might be fixed, until it was my turn. The first was a dud, because I was playing along. The second one I visualized a woman lying on an operating table, but she was covered with a blanket so I could tell what was wrong. The reader told me take the blanket off, in my mind. When I did I saw she was pregnant. That was it. After that I got the next 6 of 8. Some case visualization images would be very nebulous like a black color where the heart was, on a fuzzy imaginary image of a human. This would suggest something wrong with the heart, etc. It was not a diagnosis tool, but an attempt to narrow down. The pregnant one was dead on. I even saw the color of her hair. It is one of those things you have to experience.

After I wrote this, I googled Silva Mind Control. It has gone through two revisions; now is ultra. Below is one of their claims, just like I remember. I am not endorsing this. But it would be the good place for science to get data since they set the ambience to help it happen. I did not link.

2# Develop Your Powers of Healing and ESP

Once you learn to meditate we teach you to tap into your ESP. You will experience undeniable evidence of your own ESP by Day 2. This is an incredibly powerful and emotional moment for many of our graduates.

You will be given names and locations of random people unknown to you and you will receive information on them and their state of health through intuition.

This the truth guys, no joke:naughty: My son and I tired a few remote viewing experiments. We made some hits separately that were pretty good but once we made a hit together that was impressive to say the least. (i think i mentioned this in a another thread) We were supposed to try and view a picture and give out impressions. My sons and I stood around that concentrated, i said it's a stone fort, my younger son said, their's a dolphin jumping in the ocean, my other son said there a palm tree in the foreground. we emailed our impressions and low and behold it was a picture of a fort on the gulf coast with a palm tree in the foreground and a dolphin jumping in the water just in front of the fort. We were all floored, our impressions of what was in the picture were so strong it was very tense session but when we saw the photo the weird factor was off scale. We all had seen those things in our minds and they were on the picture. the guy doing the experiment hounded us for months to try it again but both my sons went away to school and I couldn't do much alone. We still talk about it and wonder why it was so close when all three of us were in the loop.

A poignant story for me is one that my father would often relate when I was younger.

When he was in Jr. High, a science teacher passed around a jar with random astrological sayings on pieces of paper. Every student was asked to take a piece of paper and note, on a separate piece of paper, what it said. Additionally, every student was asked to qualify the statement on the astrology paper to how accurately it related to their personality, or what they were experiencing at the time.

The teacher collected the papers and commented how every single student had remarked on how accurate that the astrological prediction had been. The classroom was buzzing with excitement. To their discouragement, the teacher announced that every single piece of paper had the same exact prediction. She explained how their belief had led them to conclude that the statement was indeed "meant for them specifically".

Everyone was astounded. My father never recovered. He argued against Astrology from then on (this is the reason I know the story :rolleyes: ).

I believe that what some call a soul is an energy capable of manipulating and detecting such manipulations of terrestial energies. Ghosts could be residule soul energy. Our ability to see, hear,feel these residues could be in connection to our sensitivity to recognizing and using said energies. So maybe we just need to know what to look for. Like looking at a flashlight beam that is pointed at someone else. They would see it as much brighter.

Here is another one of my experiences from my youth. I was in New England visiting my parents for a week. I had to then drive south for a new job. I was a few years out of college. I waited to the last minute to leave, which required, that I had to drive through a snow storm that was working its way up the coast. It wasn't snowing when I left, but I hit the storm soon enough. I drove about 10 hours and made about 400 miles. I was tired, pulled over and took a nap. I shut off the car and the cold woke me. When I awoke the storm had passed and I was feeling good. There was no more blizzard, and the conditions, although slippery, were really easy since hardly anyone was on the road at 3AM. I could now get up to 60 mph.

About an hour into the drive, with the conditions good, I had a premonition to put on my seat belts. I never wear them, and hadn't during the worse of the storm. I ignored it at first, but I kept getting this anxiety feeling. Eventually, I decided to follow the seat belt hunch and about 20 minutes later I was coming down this long icy mountain hill on I81 in Pennsylvania and totaled my car. I was not injured, but had to wait out in the cold, with others until the sun came up. It was a remote place, a one tow truck town.

I remember going into the pile-up, time seemed to slow down. I did my best to steer around. You should never use brakes on ice or risk losing all control. Seeing the bang was inevitable, I downshifted and then decided to test the seat belt by putting my hands in the air. I figured I would not have gotten the warning if I was suppose to get hurt. As I bounced off the seat belt, I remember thinking, I wish I had been going a little faster to get a better test. The car I had, was a sports car with crumple zones, it absorbed really well. My steering caused the passenger's side to take the hit. I was driving alone, so I was not sacrificing any passenger.

The twists of fate continued. Back then, I used to play it on the edge, just bringing enough money for gas with no extra provisions, i.e, no credit card, there were no cells phones back then. I would assume a happy ending and would commit myself that way. With my car not drivable, and only chump change in my pocket, I had to find a way to get the next 500 miles. I needed to get to my new job. I didn't want to call, worry or inconvenience anyone. It was sort of my adventure and need to be resourceful.

I spent the rest of the morning at a truck stop near where me and my car had been towed. Nobody was going my way for a hitch. The 18 wheelers were sort of thin due to the storm. The guy who had towed my car passed me several times, doing his job. Finally, toward the afternoon he told me to come with him. He brought me home to his wife and they fed me. I offered to pay but they wouldn't take my money. They offered to put me up for the night. But, I explained I needed to go. After talking to his wife they agreed to loan me money for a bus ticket. He had my car in his junkyard, and I needed to leave everything, so I could travel light. Although I was thinking collateral they were kind folk thinking, helping a stranger. The kind gentleman, drove to the bus station. Since there was a wait, he took me to the local pub and we had a few beers with his friends. It was a interesting adventure with the doors opening up.

When I finally got to where I was going, I was telling my story to a female neighbor. She offered to let me borrow her car. I made it to the job in time. What was suppose to happen was I was going to have this temporary assignment, until a security clearance came through. But the funding had been cut due to federal budget cuts. I wish they has told me sooner. Ah sh*t!, Here I was, I had no temporary job, no car, just a multi-month wait without pay. I had called to let family know, I had arrived safely, but, by the way, I think I am going to sell my car to the insurance company. I played it down so my mother would not get all worried. As it turned out, the insurance money for the totaled car wiped out my car loan, which now I couldn't afford. The payoff kept my credit good. As my story hit the vine, an uncle and aunt, who were leveled headed, and who liked me, beamed me down money for a new car, helping to may everything smooth.

As it turned out, I had been away from home at college, and for early jobs for many years and the unexpected break given me an opportunity to move in with my parents and renew old friendship. I was able to collect unemployment and enjoy what turned out to be a nice vacation. Back then I had this intuitive faith that seemed to open up the right doors.

Would it be fair to call gullibility and/or ignorance a "sixth sense?"

If so, I vote for those.

I think it's more likely it's the ability to figure out who is gullible or ignorant enough to be fooled is a sixth sense.

:cup: When the ability to create really cold temps came to be one of the first uses of this was to make a statue out of mercury and use it in a magic show where the magician claimed to be able to make the statue disappear :)

Well it's not as exciting as you might think, its unpredictable and doesn't make friends. When I was young I demonstrated making an electric wall clock with a second hand run backward. I also had a knack of causing fluorescent lights to go out by pointing at them and commanding them to go out. Once I did it and the light exploded and everyone in the office ran like rabbits. The two people I shared the office with refused to come back and had to be given a new office. I recommend doing this to get your own private office! Making the lights flicker was fairly easy. When I hit about 35 this stopped completely and never came back. As I get older all of these things seem to be fading. None of them was ever really useful anyway. I also used to cause street lights to go out as I walked or rode my motorcycle under them. I also had many impressive saves from getting a feeling of dread just before something very bad was going to happen. Like getting a feeling of dread as I approached an intersecting with green light and hesitating just enough to avoid a tractor trailer running a read light. Impossible to prove now but i made believers out of several people (my mom thinks I'm demon possessed) OBEs were quite common when I worked shift work and I saw people in places and situations I was able to confirm later on. My wife and I seem to share a common mind set that allows us to know what the other is thinking about even when we are far away (radar love) things like going to pick up the phone to call her and it rings just as I pick it up, knowing she is in trouble or needs my help, and predicting the death of other people. (If I dream of someone being swept away in a flood they die) My grandmother had some of these talents too.

For awhile, when I would get a strong urge to see someone far away, the person would be going through a rough time. By person I mean more than one. It could be anyone I knew. It happened so many times, I willed that it stop happening and was glad that it did. It could have been just coincidence that when I had the strong urge to see someone the person was in trouble. So we could say those coincidences stopped when I willed them to stop.

An experience that really puzzles me is, a prisoner and I agreed use esp to contact each other, on a certian day, at a certian time, and at the agreed time, something that had hung on the wall for a long time, fell off the wall. Again, may be just a coincidence.

Other coincidences would be dreams carrying a message and the forewarned event happening. Once I had the thought that my dead mother warned that something bad would happen, and she also reassured me everything would work out okay. Something terrible did happen, and it took about a year before things were okay again. The sense of my mother's message to me, helped me endure this bad time.

Spontaneous images have also changed my life in dramatic ways, and I won't say more about these, because I don't want to deal with the ridicule that seems to come up when things don't fit a limited scientific idea of what is so, when the experience is really personal. All the others could have been coincidences, but the spontaneous images and their effect on me can't be explained away as coincidence.

I will conclude with, since the atomism of ancient Greeks, there has been a question about what is reality and what is illusion. :cup:

my 6th sense is paranormally keen

i knew you were going to post this thread a week before you actually did

i even had a dream about it

j/king

anyways, ESP runs real strong in my family. there isn't as much proof as there is just knowing what will or has happened

I've always kept my experiences to myself, mainly due to the skeptism surrounding "sixth senses", but I'm finding that the skeptism makes my experiences that much stronger. I've had many, but here are some of the top ones.

1. While being rushed to the trauma unit in an ambulance after severing my foot and superficial femoral artery and impalling my calf on a plate glass window, I reached over to the paramedic hooking up the IV bag and congratulated him on the upcoming birth of his daughter and said to say hello to his 2 "boys". He almost fell over. I think he needed treatment for shock more then I did....When I came out of trauma surgery 6 hours later, the paramedic was there and was still shaken up stating that I rambled alot more then I remembered....because I was pretty much atheist at that moment in time, I chalked it up to "the irregular brain firing" that scientist rave about when someone's in the process of dying (almost bled out) but that changed later that week.

I want to add that the NDE experiences and those that followed over the next month is what restored my belief in a higher force in this universe.

I haven't talked to anyone about it and don't plan to, lets just say it makes me sleep easier at nights.

2. 9 years ago in a crowded room of people, just as the clock on the wall start to chime at the stroke of midnight, I distinctly heard my grandmother say in her thick dutch accent..."I'm ok now July".

In a state of bewilderment, I announced the death of my grandmother to about 20 people. I then immediately called my mom...my grandmother had in fact just died at exactly the stroke of midnight. Nobody can rationalize this one.

3. While doing dishes, I had a sudden flash of what was like a movie screen and I saw my daughter in an terrible car accident with a friend...it was in slow motion and I was horrified that my mind had even thought of something like that....however, I forbid her and threatened all of her friends with serious trouble if they let her get in any of their cars for the next 3 days. 2 days after the "daydream", one of her friends came running in my front door screaming that my daugher had just been in an accident around the corner. When I got there, the car had obviously rolled and was hanging from a severed fence pole over a 30 foot drop into a raven. The car was totaled and by some miracle, my daughter had escaped with minimal injuries.

People call this "maternal instinct".

4. 15 family members, 4 friends and I went to see John Edwards here in SLC.

We were the first and one of the few he talked to out of an audience of

He accurately described all 8 family members that had died, exact names, their cause of deaths to the letter, birth months, exact military ties and states they died in (moms brother died in Virginia), current health issues amongst us all etc. He even talked about my beloved dog "boz" that passed a year ago in Feb and described his cancerous tumours on the "outside".

It's nothing like what you all see on TV. Our "reading" lasted over an hour..their wasn't one pause...reach...or grasp at info from this man.

It was like he was reading from a family biography. Skeptics say he might of researched our family beforehand...ok, so how did he know us from 2500 others..and the real kicker is that the tickets were bought in a Corporation name....no first or last names on any ticket and the corp is licensed to a man with no family ties that lives 3200 miles away.

I'm not saying this man "talks to the dead". But he sure as hell is getting his info from "somewhere else". Like he describes it...it's like reaching his hand into this "waterfall of cosmic energy" and there it is...not dead, but still living...just in a different form. Nothing really dies, it just transforms.

One of the newly discovered mode of conscious visual perception is "Mindsight". The latest discoveries and testing "suggests the existence of an interesting and previously unknown attentional mechanism".

While some scientists discount the existence of a sixth sense for danger, new research from Washington University in St. Louis has identified a brain region that clearly acts as an early warning system -- one that monitors environmental cues, weighs possible consequences and helps us adjust our behavior to avoid dangerous situations. The findings offer rigorous scientific evidence for a new way of conceptualizing the complex executive control processes taking place in and around the anterior cingulate cortex (ACC), a brain area located near the top of the frontal lobes and along the walls that divide the left and right hemispheres.

On new experiments of remote viewing and precognitions: "Do our experiments prove without question that the sixth sense exists? Not yet. What we have are three independent labs reporting similar effects based on data from more than 200 participants. The proof of the pudding will rest upon many more labs getting the same results. Still, our studies, combined with the outcomes of many other types of tests by dozens of investigators on precognition and other classes of psi phenomena, have caused even highly skeptical scientists to ponder what was previously unthinkable—the possibility of a genuine sixth sense.

Dean Radin, Ph.D.

The new discoveries and possibilities are endless. What I find curious is peoples seemingly fearful reactions to the possiblities of psi.

Good doubt is questioning that springs from a positive spirit - a constructive skepticism that wonders about risks and pitfalls out of a wish for the enterprise to succeed.

Bad doubt is questioning that springs from a negative spirit - a destructive skepticism that dwells on issues and problems with the hope that the whole project will come tumbling down.

• 4 weeks later...