Science Forums

Chemical Analysis of Soft Drinks

Various soft drinks like Coke,Pepsi etc.

Analysis in terms of its contents..

any 3 content...

can be acidity,ph,sugar,preservative etc any 3...

I'm still confused. You'll have to give more of a description.

You said any three contents, and then you listed properties.

The Project List that i received says:

-"To analyze the chemical contents of various soft drinks."

give me ideas on what to do?

all items used should also be available in the Lab except for the soft drinks(high school chemistry lab...)

Using litmus paper, measure the Ph of each type of soda and compare them. :D

How could you measure this?

I propose a that we test the limited anticipatory experience of orally ingesting various soft drinks and comparing them to a base to come up with a relativistic measure of such content...?

So, why the need to post this on chemical forums, Malay?

and yeah, google is your friend, to give you a general idea of how cola is made, here is a nice write up on it...:

Notes On Making Cola

follow through, there are ingredients, etc in there, just press "section 2" once you are done reading the first one...

• 2 weeks later...

Me personally? I would do it through, as i said, limited anticipatory experience of orally ingesting it, personally... Then it simple:

taste the bubbly stuff? thats CO2

get a rush after ldowning a 2 liter bottle? thats caffeine

get a crash after 2 hours of the rush? that's sugars

Shake it up, taste it, taste bitter, a bit? thats vitamin C

open up a fresh bottle, does it smell like rotten eggs? no, so no SO2 :idea:

Sounds like agood start

Some NZ students just embarrassed a big producer of blackcurrant syrup showing the drink contained hardly any of the Vitamin C long claimed in their advertising and on the bottle. How did they do that?

How would you test for water purity -iron and mineral content, bacteria,wee beasties, viruses?

How would you test for environmental contaminants like pesticides,herbicides and heavy metals?

How would you test for stuff leached from the plastic bottle or can, such as PCBs (?) a-biscopal(sp?), aluminium?

How would you test for trace contaminants of production process that may cause allergic shock in some like eggs, peanuts milk. Egg and milk products are often used to clarify wine for example.

How would you test for a terrorist additive like LSD ??

Seems for these you would need at least a gas chromatograph and someone skilled in reading the results of one.

Probably the reason few of us know what we are actually drinking.

How would you test for a terrorist additive like LSD ??

simple, just continue the test i started above:

if you start hallucinating within an hour of drinking it, make a note on your calendar for the next morning to go and buy the rest of it on the shelf, while you are still low, sit back and enjoy the rest of the afternoon...

jk, i do not condone taking drugs, drugs are bad, especially Lysergic Acid Diethylamide, destructive, addictive, made in US, by US, for US.... i mean does that spell Ford yet? LSD is like a Ford vehicle, in a way, extensive use of either one, basically leads to the same result....

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

The project about which you are saying needs many chemicals and some guidance also.I made this project for my icse boards final practical examination but at this time I can give you this much information that Benzene in soft drinks is of some concern due to the carcinogenic nature of the benzene molecule. This contamination is a public health concern and has caused significant outcry among environmental and health advocates. Benzene levels are regulated in drinking water nationally and internationally, and in bottled water in the United States, but only informally in soft drinks. The benzene results from decarboxylation of the preservative benzoic acid in the presence of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) especially under heat and light.So,you can search more on this topic.