Science Forums

Sunshine

freeztar

Sunshine is a 2007 movie directed by Danny Boyle.

The plot:

In the future, the sun is dying out and all humans are going to die. A spaceship carrying a "bomb" is sent to the sun in hopes of creating a new sun within the sun. The ship is not heard from and the mission is unsuccessful. A new ship, Icarus 2, is sent on the same mission. The entire movie takes place on Icarus 2 (well, for the most part :confused: ).

I found it to be a good sci-fi flick. It wasn't great, but definitely worth a view. Of course, it has the usual Hollywood dumb-down of physics and the requisite drama, but it was not overdone imo (except for the last 15 minutes or so).

At the link above, there is a section called "Goofs" under "Fun Stuff". I'd be interested to hear people's comments on these points (the last one is a bit of a spoiler, so I suggest that one for those that have seen it).

Sunshine is a 2007 movie directed by Danny Boyle.

The plot:

In the future, the sun is dying out and all humans are going to die. A spaceship carrying a "bomb" is sent to the sun in hopes of creating a new sun within the sun. The ship is not heard from and the mission is unsuccessful. A new ship, Icarus 2, is sent on the same mission. The entire movie takes place on Icarus 2 (well, for the most part :confused: ).

I found it to be a good sci-fi flick. It wasn't great, but definitely worth a view. Of course, it has the usual Hollywood dumb-down of physics and the requisite drama, but it was not overdone imo (except for the last 15 minutes or so).

At the link above, there is a section called "Goofs" under "Fun Stuff". I'd be interested to hear people's comments on these points (the last one is a bit of a spoiler, so I suggest that one for those that have seen it).

creme dela' creme of scifi? more like crud dela crud, lock your self in a bathroom with a stopped up toliet and repeat five million times "it's not science fiction unless it contains some semblence of real science"

creme dela' creme of scifi? more like crud dela crud, lock your self in a bathroom with a stopped up toliet and repeat five million times "it's not science fiction unless it contains some semblence of real science"

Who said "creme dela' creme"?

Don't get me wrong, it's not great, as I said, yet I enjoyed it.

The lack of science irritated me as well. I kept asking myself "ok, how are you able to walk around like it's 1G without the spaceship twirling at a super fast speed?" or "how do these sun-shields work?" or "what is this theoretical bomb that can turn a dying sun into a living one?".

I assume (or hope) that the screenplay was at least slightly more descriptive and the director took liberties with it. :confused:

Who said "creme dela' creme"?

Don't get me wrong, it's not great, as I said, yet I enjoyed it.

The lack of science irritated me as well. I kept asking myself "ok, how are you able to walk around like it's 1G without the spaceship twirling at a super fast speed?" or "how do these sun-shields work?" or "what is this theoretical bomb that can turn a dying sun into a living one?".

I assume (or hope) that the screenplay was at least slightly more descriptive and the director took liberties with it. :confused:

Creme de creme or something similar was mentioned at the site the link took me to. I really didn't like it at all but I am becoming irritable in my old age, I don't have much time for poorly written stories and poor direction and poor acting. Really good direction and acting can save a poor screen play but usually not the other way around. But having said that only you know what you like and I'm not willing to tell what it should be. Of course I like star trek and it's not really hard core scifi, more like scifi fantasy. but the actors and writing and direction are usually pretty good even though the primus of a multi planet multi species hegemony with gun boat diplomacy is pretty much totally BS. But they do stick to their version of reality pretty closely. Looking at it from that point of view Sunshine isn't all that bad I guess.

I kinda liked Sunshine but it wasn't a great scifi flick. More of an adventure story IMHO.

The goofs Freezy links to are not very interesting, I noticed quite a bit more when I watched the movie (like hey, can I really climb *out* of a cryogenic engine tank)...but it's been a while so I don't remember most of it.

The premise of the story is interesting but of course also quite bold - if the Sun stopped spinning we'd have a bigger problem than lost starships. :confused:

• 1 month later...

I personally enjoyed it. When I watch a movie like this..... maybe I am different from most people..... I try to enjoy things for what they are and not get so into the "lack of science" or to much fiction aspect. I enjoyed it...I probably wouldn't watch it again.... but I enjoyed it.