Science Forums

Evolution is Fact

InfiniteNow

It is a series of five lectures, each about one hour long. I hope you enjoy these also, and can share them with others who may benefit from knowledge.

'Growing Up in the Universe' Ep 1: Waking Up in the Universe

'Growing Up in the Universe' Ep 2: Designed and Designoid Objects

'Growing Up in the Universe' Ep 3: Climbing Mount Improbable

'Growing Up in the Universe' Ep 4: The Ultraviolet Garden

'Growing Up in the Universe' Ep 5: The Genesis of Purpose

Knowledge and an accurate source of information is perhaps one of the greatest gifts that we can give to others. :)

Be well. :)

I just finished watching the first one. :)

Good stuff, thanks for the links IN. :shade:

I just finished watching the first one. :)

Good stuff

I haven't steered you wrong yet, have I? :)

They are ALL good, but I think my two favorites are the third one (Climbing Mount Improbable) and the fourth one (The Ultraviolet Garden), where Douglas Adams makes an appearance.

:shade:

I actually saw a show about that on the Discovery Science channel. On the show, one of the things they actually did with these chickens was that by activating certain genes they were able to grow teeth and even fangs :naughty:.

All right! I want one! Jurassic Park here we come! A miniature carnosaur:crazy:Be the first on your block to be eaten alive by a chicken with teeth:doh:

Originally Posted by Euclidean-Paradox

I actually saw a show about that on the Discovery Science channel. On the show, one of the things they actually did with these chickens was that by activating certain genes they were able to grow teeth and even fangs .

This is interesting because it implies that although chickens has this genetic capacity, which could make any chicken the queen bee, is not being used. This suggests that only a certain percentage of all the genes available are being used, with that fraction optimized to the environment. Under certain environmental changes these dormant genes might be needed and are there for adaptation. We might extrapolate this to suggest that even if a gene evolves, if it is not needed in that environment it will not become part of outward evolution, unless the environment makes it optimum.

An analogy are a bunch of children playing tag. If there is one child who can run much faster than the rest, this ability takes them out of the game since he is never it, and nobody will bother chasing him. He will need to slow down to be able to play. If he does this enough, he readapts to 2nd gear.

The extra unused genes sort of suggest the needs of the group or species can sometimes supersede the optimization of the individual. A chicken with teeth, fangs and a bad attitude may allow it to be the queen of the coop. But this could have an impact on the species because it could result in a net reduction in the overall population and species community. Evolution may require this extra capacity remain dormant unless it is really needed by the species, as a whole. For example, if the environment changed and a new predator was killing off chickens faster than than a saber tooth chicken, this capacity may be needed, since it will now be helping the species.

Your entire speculative post assumes that social behavior and dominance is the single driving factor in chicken survival and reproduction.

As we all know, then chickens that taste the best and lay the best eggs for human consumption are the ones which get to pass on their genes.

It has nothing to do with which one is "prom queen" ... erm, "queen bee." :(

Also, you imply that which genes do and don't get turned on is some sort of conscious decision. I'm not even going to touch the ridiculousness of that suggestion.

think of it as if it were blind people testing which light bulb is the brightest

Geez Goku, for someone who has so much ignorant criticism of science, you sure do spend a lot of time hangin' around this science website.

It's almost like you're bi-curious or something. Do your friends know you come here? :turtle:

think of it as if it were blind people testing which light bulb is the brightest

That's how some people think about religion, in general.

Science has the advantage in this case because eyesight obscurity does not impede the investigation. We have four other senses at our disposal. :turtle:

If you find the science "fishy", then specifically point out what you have an issue with.

That's how some people think about religion, in general.

Science has the advantage in this case because eyesight obscurity does not impede the investigation. We have four other senses at our disposal. :)

If you find the science "fishy", then specifically point out what you have an issue with.

Don't encourage him Freez, I think he questions everything since the flat Earth theory was shown to be false, maybe even that:doh:

Don't encourage him Freez, I think he questions everything since the flat Earth theory was shown to be false, maybe even that:doh:

As Reason somewhat alluded to with his most recent post, goku is (IMO) deserving of more credit than he sometimes receives. He did join Hypography at some time in the past, he does read the posts here, and he does respond. This means that he is learning, and I would posit that he is curious. If he truly didn't care, he likely would never have bothered to created an account.

While his criticisms are not exactly biting, and often seem crass, his posts do give all of us the opportunity to address misunderstandings and bring clarity on these issues... not just to him, but to all of those who may be here reading these posts as members or guests.

I think goku often understands our points, and often learns from our responses, just enjoys feigning ignorance and rattling the hornets nest every so often, but the point remains, he did join this community and he does participate, so in my book that earns him some credit.

With all that said, goku, evolution IS fact and science DOES study many things (strange and useful, alike), and you should either get on board or get the hell out of the way. :)

A few days ago I had the urge to Goggle an ID search. I was trying to see what exactly the position was. I just assumed this was going to be a religious angle. One site I found took sort of a scientific angle of ID. Evolution Is Dead!*::*Chronicling the Demise of 19th Century Naturalism*

It wasn't totally religious because most of the topics had to do with science data which refuted the more traditional statistical approach to evolution and mutations. The premise appeared to be an ID angle but in the sense of something that should be explainable with cause and affect. For example:

Chapter 19: POSTDARWINISM

"Another molecular biologist, Barry Hall, published results which not only confirmed Cairns's claims but laid on the table startling additional evidence of direct mutation in nature. Hall found that his cultures of E. coli would produce needed mutations at a rate about 100 million times greater than would be statistically expected if they came by chance. Furthermore, when he dissected the genes of these mutated bacteria by sequencing them, he found mutations in no areas other than the one where there was selection pressure.

Their ID position is not against evolution, but against random evolution, with selective pressure able to get very specific on the genes. They call it Intelligent Design, in the loose sense of cause and affect. The logical basis of the cause and affect is not addressed since the science is not there, yet, to make this connection. I try to use hydrogen bonding to make that connection. The religious angle sort of runs with this type of experimental observation and substitutes God for what could be a totally logically cause and affect relationship subject to science investigation. It is almost like the religious ID activism keeps this science ID lumped with religious ID so it never gets the same play. This appears like politics as usual.