Science Forums

Suggestion: Update to current Staff permissions

InfiniteNow

This is just a suggestion. Feel free to disregard completely and let me know where I can shove it. :(

I think the old setup of moderator privileges being specific to certain fora is causing more problems than it eliminates. For example, I cannot tell you how ridiculous this appears to many of us:

http://hypography.com/forums/environmental-studies/13705-my-belief-global-warming-getting-shaky-37.html#post214975

Maybe a moderator can split these off into their own thread, though, since this one is about GW?
Bump...

(unfortunately, this is out of my jurisdiction for such actions)

My :beer: :

Junior Moderators: Limit to specific fora, keep other limitations as is

Moderators: Allow permissions to moderate all boards, regardless of topic, keep other limitations as is

Senior Moderators: Allow access equivalent to admins, where bans and suspensions can be implemented (although, I am not sure, senior mods may already have this...). More or less, everything an admin can do except for code changes

My primary suggestion is the change to the Moderator level permissions.

This is basically the way it already works. I guess noone has picked up that the thread you mention needs to be split up! :confused:
It’s a bit tricky figuring out how to split the thread, as the Type-1 civilization discussion is interwoven with the subject of global warming skepticism/denial and “things to do about global warming”.

I’ll make an attempt at it ASAP. Any suggestions (eg: a list of post #s) would be welcome.

I'm unable to move posts in forums that are outside of my jurisdiction (Biology, Earth Sciences, and Music Studies). Likewise, I cannot delete posts, approve posts, etc. ;)

That's what I thought. Hence, my proposal is that a moderator level staff member be given "jurisdiction" over all forum topics.

Or, not... whatever. :shrug:

:turtle:

That's what I thought. Hence, my proposal is that a moderator level staff member be given "jurisdiction" over all forum topics.

Or, not... whatever. :shrug:

;)

I'm not knowledgeable about the reasoning behind the current mod setup, but I presume that it is structured this way to prevent mods of certain knowledge, or specialties, from getting into trouble from moderating forums outside of their knowledge base. It seems prudent for a board whose moderators are more nefarious than here. I can't think of a single mod on Hypography that would run into this conundrum. So, you may have a point IN, but conversely, I have not seen any serious deleterious effects result from the current system in place.

It's not my call anyhow...:turtle:

I'm not knowledgeable about the reasoning behind the current mod setup, but I presume that it is structured this way to prevent mods of certain knowledge, or specialties, from getting into trouble from moderating forums outside of their knowledge base. It seems prudent for a board whose moderators are more nefarious than here. I can't think of a single mod on Hypography that would run into this conundrum. So, you may have a point IN, but conversely, I have not seen any serious deleterious effects result from the current system in place.

I presume that when T first got the site going, he only had a small handful of staff members, and also only a small handful of forum topics. It probably just made sense to have one person moderate the biology board and another dude moderate the physics board and another the computer science, etc. But Hypography has grown, both in topic number and membership, and the old system I think is failing.

The moderator presence is pretty low lately. No offense to anybody on the staff, because I am or have been friends with pretty much all of you, but recently it's only you and Craig doing any moderating.

The deleterious effect is that you have to wait 3 weeks for a mod with the right "jurisdiction" to login and do something about any problems, instead of dealing with them immediately.

Like the global warming thread. There's now like 3 pages of posts on population growth and resources, which are interesting topics, but belong in a different thread... Yet... they are still there because when YOU tried to make an update, the system wouldn't allow it.

The staff at Hypography now all know enough about what they should and should not do in a given forum. They're not going to move a math post if they don't understand the math. However, if some troll comes in and starts spouting how 1+1=1, then ANY mod should be able to remove that crap from the math forum, even if they're not the local math expert.

To me, it just makes more sense that way, but like you said, it's not my decision. ;)

The moderator presence is pretty low lately. No offense to anybody on the staff, because I am or have been friends with pretty much all of you, but recently it's only you and Craig doing any moderating.

In addition to Sanctus, Clay, myself, Boerseun and Qfwfq, of course. You need to increase your secret moderator presence sensor! ;)

Would an "alert" system help cut down the workload?

Many sites have an "alert moderator" or similar button that users can press to let TPTB that something is not Kosher.

Hey mate,

That's what the red square beside the green rep button at the top right of every post is for. :turtle:

Perhaps also an alert when negative rep is given may help you zero in on potential conflicts and agro..

That's an interesting idea, but admins can already review rep if they wish to do so. They are, however, pretty good at respecting privacy and actively avoiding attempts to review non-public communication unless they deem it absolutely necessary (for example, someone complains about a rep comment and they want to see it for themselves).

It's just that rep has no real impact on the site, especially after the redesign, so it's more just a social thing than anything else. If there are problems with a particular user that you do not think are being adequately addressed by the staff, it'd be more proactive and probably more appropriate for you (or other users) to either report the post that caused you concern or PM one of the staff directly to raise the issue.

Hmmm... I think I may be speaking out of turn again.

Would an "alert" system help cut down the workload?

Many sites have an "alert moderator" or similar button that users can press to let TPTB that something is not Kosher.

As IN has pointed out, this feature is available, if not a bit obscured.

Reporting posts is something that is lacking, imho. Reported posts help the mods "zero in" on rule violations, indeed. IMHO, anyone with any sort of care for the future of this site should use it, with discretion of course.