Science Forums

Evolution of the Mind

D.M.T.

When i speak of the mind, i usually come across people that will either try to throw off my conversation with a lesser intelligent comment to make the mass laugh and ultimatly throw my idea out the window. But here, i pose the question. Do you believe that is it a genetic or self made ability to do ESP, psychokenesis, Mind reading, telepathy, and simply concentrating on a thought and the information you require just comes to you regardless of prior knowledge about it.

Personally, i believe its both, as i have taken on the non-genetic form of not being born with abilities but working very tirelessly to gain them. What are you ideas on this?

Personally, i believe its both, as i have taken on the non-genetic form of not being born with abilities but working very tirelessly to gain them. What are you ideas on this?

Not to be nitpicking but if you are able to learn something, then you obviously have genetic abilities for it (in a strict sense).

So far I have not seen a single piece of evidence that such a thing as ESP exists, so I am not holding my breath for it.

Well now, thats what i mean. Ive met people who have such things just by inheritence and they were born and always have known such "paranormal abilites" but in the sense that i learned them is that, i knew nothing of the sort until i started researching the subjects and learning all about them and finally breaking it down to be logic based abilities as apposed to something most people think is just a mystery or a bunch of BS. I explained somewhat (couple years ago they were written) in some of the articles i wrote, eventually someone from this beloved site of intellect may have some argument or insight onto that logic i came up with.

I cannot say anything about the paranormals, but if such abilties exist then i suppose genetics would play a role.

For eg. Chomsky proposed that the ability to learn language is pre-programmed (LAD) and EXPOSURE to speech the brain will automatically make sense of the utterances because it has been programmed to do so. Language itself is a tool of conceptual and cognitive development, therefore it is somewhat linked to the paranormal. Then it would also indirectly imply that such abilities results from exposure. So if we do posses these abilities genetically then exposure will trigger its 'initiation'.

In your situation, where you 'knew nothing of the sort before your research' can once again be related back to language. Where a person who is not exposed to a languge will never acquire language. (this might not be related...but the ability to learn a language decrease rapidy as we get older, so maybe so does our abilities in the paranormal?)

Well all of that was theoretical, I am not even sure if you can be 'exposed' to the paranormal. It would be interesting to look deeper into it though. ^^

What do you do exactly doto gain those abilities?

I once kind of experienced telepathy, so I do not reject the idea, it is actually very fascinating and I wonder if one day we will find a scientific explanation.

Setting aside the question of whether such abilities exist, it may be that "working tirelessly" without the genetic component may be as effective as trying to learn to fly by flapping your arms.

In a very real sense, a telescope is an extrasensory device. So are any of the tools we build to help us in our quest to perceive existence or to enhance our perception of it.

The idea that there are phenomenon that we might intermittently perceive by accident would not surprise me.

I personally believe that mankind has great difficulty processing what it is aware of with off the shelf perception devices, such as eyes, ears, nose, and touch.

I'd be overjoyed to see 'observation' taught in our schools and elevated to the stature of say, bowling. Observation is what we do with what we 'see'. And if we mastered simple observation, then I'd say to start looking for extra senses. But until that time comes, what's the point? We wouldn't know what to do with the ability.

The idea of ESP is one that has HIGHLY abused and torn apart to be made into somthing its not. It has become a product ever sense the Quiji board. Is it posible that someone has/can obtain, the abilitie(s) to use their mind for other things than average use (ESP), yes i think it is possible. But like i said, moives, and other media have made this "reading mind" thing into somthing that is Total off.

(my thoughts)

Op5

• 2 weeks later...

When you consider all the examles of "intuition" that we take for granted; ie - varrious animals following migratory paths that they could never possibly know without some kind of inner connection to the unknown, it seems reasonable to say that they, never gave any effort or thought in trying to manifest what was there from the beginning. If it wasn't genetic, or inherrent in them - they were simply out of luck.

___I accept the idea of extrasensory ability; I refer you to the thread "Hypography Mind Experiment". In my view this experiment is positive in result, ie. some people who responded, responded 'accurately'.

___In regard to perception, it is both inherent (pattern recognition) & cultural/environmental. Some tribes in Amazonia can recognize/identify the odor(s) of dozens of different kinds of animal urine. This adaptive use of the sense of smell is essential to the success of their hunting, whereas for many 'Westerners', smelling urine is not a desirable ability.

___I believe 'extrasensory' ability exists, & that I have & use it.___**:eek:

I think the mind has many hidden abilities. Idiot savants are evidence of some of the abilities of the human mind that some may call extrasensory. Does a savant with an ear for music have extrasensory ability or has the genome simply turned on some switch we don't understand yet. I think we have many things to learn about the mind before we can draw a line between what is extrasensory and what is not.

I suppose their may be a genetic component to paranormal talents. I do feel they can

be learned to some degree. I feel that often these arise in people who have gone

through some trauma, either emotional or physical. This may be latent abilities we

have unlearned in the past that we are now relearning. :eek:

Maddog

That is a good point about forgetting. We live much safer in general than ancient people who might benefit from extrasensory perceptions; a sudden 'hunch' or 'insight' that a bear is soon to attack.

___If you train to improve physical ability, it makes sense you may train extrasensory ability as well. I think we all start with similar potentail & then the world has its way with us.:eek:

Much os ESP/psychic/paranormal/etc. just does not stand up to scientific rigor. AT BEST, support is anecdotal. Many times has been proven to be fraudulent. But to mee it seems that most of these events are just natural phenomenon that the viewer is imparting some sort of meaning upon.

"Ghosts" in pictures are often just reflection, dust, condensation, or smoke.

As for hearing voices...they have medication for that now.

Premonitions are nothing more than a good guess. And always easy to tie to an event in retrospect.

I do not mean to belittle anyone or rain on their parade. Pehaps these things are out there, but I have yet to see anything remotely plausible as evidence.