Science Forums

Sci-fi film faves and flops

kalexia

Oh where to begin...I love sci-fi movies but I can't stand the trashy stuff (I still watch it though...). :QuestionM

Bad (just a few examples):

Outland with Sean Connery. Wow that was BAD

Event Horizon

Absolutely every single episode of Battlestar Galactica ;)

2010 The year we make contact

Chronicles of Riddick (hopelessly, shamefully bad)

Stargate (the series)

Good:

Alien

Solaris (both the original and remake, IMHO)

AI

Contact

ET

RoboCop (gotta love 'em)

Blade Runner

Pitch Black

Stargate (the movie)

Primer (indie low budget, bloody brilliant)

Hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy

Good-ish:

Sunshine

Firefly (the series - fun if you have nothing else to do and is bored in San Francisco)

Some of the Star Trek movies

Dislike:

All Star Wars (loved them each and all when they came out, can't see them twice)

Most of the Star Trek movies

Oh, where to continue...I see to much stuff...

ET is a cute alien! :QuestionM

Another really bad move was Species. There you have an ugly alien...

Which brings up fresh memories...

Good: Invasion of the body snatchers (original, haven't seen the remake), The Blob, Independence day, Mars Attacks, Ghosts of Mars, Red Planet

Bad: Alien Nation (movie and series), Mission to Mars

Alien Nation - yeh really bad. Mars Attacks is the worst I've ever seen. Independence Day good vis effects.

I don't know if that new 'Jumper' film is any good. (Not such a cool title in the UK, what with it being an item of clothing)

Mars Attacks was supposed to be bad! It's hilarious! It's a spoof of every ___[fill in the blank]___ Attacks Earth movie ever made.

Jumper is about the WORST SF movie I've seen in 20 years. It has no plot. I mean NO PLOT AT ALL. There's just these few folks who can "jump" instantly from one place to another, as long as they have seen the destination in person or in a picture. Then there's this ancient organization, Palladins, who for a 1000 years or more have been killing the jumpers. HOW they did this in 1255 A.D. is left unanswered because you can [supposedly] only catch a jumper with electrical shocks. Why the Palladins and the jumpers never carry guns is left unanswered. Why only the Palladins carry a knife (ONE knife!) ILU. How the Palladins tracked jumpers before global internet ILU. How come the jumpers don't use their talent to track down and kill Palladins ILU. How it all started ILU. Where it all ends up ILU. Why they made this pathetic movie ILU.

I love Mars Attacks!!! One of the top movies ever. :cup:

I will second that opinion: I even bought a Slim Whitman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a28EBGEkCs album because of that movie: I play it when I'm driving down the highway late at night....

Not enough MST3K fans around here: I could go on about "bad" for hours (although I put "This Island Earth" in the good column, the MST version is *priceless*....)

Any one for "Manos, Hands of Fate"? Or if you do not wish to tempt "Fate," how about "Rocket Attack USA?" "Teenagers from Outer Space?" "The Human Duplicators?" "The Amazing Colossal Man?" (head straight for the Valium after that one) "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians?" "The Brain that Wouldn't Die?"

Has anyone else here ever been able to sit through "Zardoz" without falling asleep?

Faves: "Clockwork Orange," "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (original with James Mason and Pat Boone), "The Time Machine" (original with Rod Taylor an d Yvette Mimieux), "Five Million Years to Earth" (aka Quatermass and the Pit), "A Boy and His Dog" (aka "A Dog and His Boy" to fans...well, you have to see it...Cute *young* Don Johnson :D , and LQ Jones is brilliant!), "The Fifth Element," "Zachariah" and, lessee one more easy one, "Brazil"....

I've asked Joel if he'd raise the level on my sarcasm sequencer, :)

Buffy

I tend to be pretty tolerant of Sci-Fi movies so my good list will always be much longer than my bad list. I'm going to brainstorm so they won't be in any particular order.

Good

Star Wars (like 'em all and will watch them over and over again)

Star Trek (like the TV series', particularly Next Gen, and movies)

The Matrix (all three)

Back To The Future (all three)

Alien (all)

Contact

Pitch Black (I like Chronicles of Riddick ok too)

Independence Day

I, Robot

E.T.

The Time Machine (numerous versions)

Close Encounters - Of The Third Kind

Fantastic Voyage

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Total Recall

The Terminator (all)

Jurassic Park (all)

Strange Days

Sphere

Predator (both)

Robocop

Altered States

Escape From New York

Mad Max (all)

The Abyss

Rollerball

Cocoon

Ghostbusters

Dune

Blade Runner

Blade (all)

The Final Countdown

The Planet of the Apes (all)

Westworld

Logan's Run

The Boys from Brazil

2001: A Space Odyssey

The Cell

Men In Black (both)

The Day After Tomorrow

Superman (all)

Spiderman (all)

The War of the Worlds

Flatliners

Minority Report

Deep Impact

Armageddon

Hollow Man

The Rocketeer

Soldier

The Arrival

Mimic

Deep Blue Sea

Outland

Honey I Shrunk the Kids

Bad

Sorry, I guess I just like Sci-Fi. :)

Has anyone else here ever been able to sit through "Zardoz" without falling asleep?
Oddly, now that Buffy ask the question, I realize that despite having watched it several times, and having a pretty good sense of the order of scenes, etc., with the overall plot and various images having made lasting impressions on me, I’ve never managed to stay completely awake through an entire showing of Zardoz.

I actually really like this movie. I suspect only viewing it semi-consciously is much of the reason why.

A recent movie I didn’t think I would like, but did: The Last Mimzy. :hihi: Though toned down and sanitized a bit from its 1940s science fiction roots and cutsied up in the typical movie treatment manner, I still found it engaging and enjoyable.

The best 18..Until I can think of some more. :hihi:

Dune

Contact

War Of The Worlds- 1953

Journey to the Center of the Earth

When Worlds Collide

Close Encounters

E.T.

A.I.

2000 Leagues under the Sea

Blade Runner

Aliens

2001: A Space Odyssey

The Matrix

Dr Strangelove

Superman Returns

Equilibrium

Sci-fi is like sex, when its good, its really good, when its bad,... its still pretty good.:)