Science Forums

Build Your Own Robot

personally i don't think we are quite there yet. in some cities however we might, for example new york or chicago. There are still too many countries living in poverty and more than 90% of the worlds population doesn't even know what a computer or robot is.

• 2 months later...

I would say we are at the begining of the robotic age. It's going to advance very quickly though. When robots start to really think or have a sense of self is probably some time off. Unless that's what they want us to think.... Not that I wouldn't want a Cherry2000 for myself.

(SiFi ref (if you didn't get it.))

• 4 weeks later...

Dethfire I notice you have a physicsforums link on your post. What is your username on it? But more on topic. I really like robots and stuff like that but wouldn't they be a danger to humans when they could actually think on their own? But man, have you guys seen that robot made by that car company? I forgot what one but man!!! It's amazing it's like a human shape and it can go up stairs help with some things and obey some commands! It's great!

The robot you are thinking of is either the Honda P3 or the smaller version, Asimo (LINK).

While this is a very impressive robot which can traverse almost any reasonable terrain, it does have it's limitations, which I believe to be key to the birth of the robotic age.

Until the issue of energy density is resolved, the power required by a robot to both perform physically and mentally on a par with a human will not be met. So the real issue in the future of robotics won't be whether they can think like us, but whether they are physically practical at all!

The machinary which drives a robot of the calliber such as Honda's P3 is of such high maintenance and so expensive, that a comercial version simply isn't feasible. This is why the condensed Asimo is Honda's first shot at a truely industrial/commercial robot. It is small, thus requires less power, but the trade off is in it's mental and to some small extent, it's physical capabilities.

The Sony SDR-4X (LINK) is a prime example of the way that humaniod robot's will make their way into our homes. Primarily a sophisticated pet, the SDR-4X is the big brother of the AIBO line of Sony robo-pets. This approach of producing intelligent and interactive robots for pleasure is the only way a competitive robotics market will ever come to be in our money conscience society.

To parallel the two, Honda is pioneering the kind of robot that we are likely to see aboard public transport, within the depths of oil rigs or mines and even serving our dinner, but it is unlikely anyone will fork out for a man sized pet! Sony however are really pushing the way in which we look at what is affordable and acceptable in our techno-world.

I think we are on the verge of something big in terms of robotics. They are already integrated into our every day lives, it's just that we haven't got two legged robocops patrolling the streets yet! I think people forget the robotic car factories and vacuum-cleaners that are on the market, and have been for the past few years.

Until the technology is developed where a robot can maintain itself as well as display intelligent behaviour and perceive things as well as a human, we will always take for granted the robots that are all around us. But be warned, when it is developed they will make themselves known!...