Science Forums

Who would you like to see as the next US President?

Turtle

Who would you like to see as the next US President?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see as the next US President?

• Gene Amondson
    • Hillary Clinton
    • Mike Huckabee
    • Duncan Hunter
    • John McCain
    • Brian Moore
    • Ralph Nader
    • Barack Obama
    • Diane Beall Templin
    • Other

;)

Yes, that is a glaring omission from the poll. It appears he was relagated to the "Other" category.

Not very fitting considering the ground-swell of support he has received around the country.

Well, even more so because Ron Paul was ultimately an internet campaign. He was a hit in nearly every major online community there is. Quite frankly the guy rocked, he's exactly what this country needs but almost assuredly won't get within our lifetimes.

I have been under the weather for a while now hope to get back up to speed soon. I like Barack Obama now sense we are really down to two people now. I used to like Ralph Nader at one time now I think he is one of the biggest phony I know of he dose not care about our country. He has just got Power hungry that is all I Am going to every say about him.Now one of the stupidest thing I have heard is that Obama is the anti Christ that sounds like a very right wing Republican I would say pry for him but he would not listen even if the Lord would speak to him. One of the dumb thing that McCain has said now I know their has been a lot but he said the other day that one reason we had to go to War is if Bush had not started the War then Saddam Hussein's would be making all this money that the world is paying for Gas. If Bush had never started this war then we would not be paying out of our asses now. Now since they made 79 Billions dollars profit last quarter and not paying us to help them build their country back up letting us pay for it and they get to keep the money the more I think about what our government is doing and not giving a Dam about the people of the USA. I better stop for now before I blow my pressure gage again.

wddycus

• 2 months later...
America's first black president, then.

That would be the case if he were actually black. In reality he's half white, half Kenyan-Arab since his father was ethnically Arabic, with only 1 relative ethnically African Negro - a maternal great-grandparent. His name is telling since it is the custom for the descendants of Arab slave traders in Kenya to give their children Arabic names to distinguish them from the native Africans.

That would be the case if he were actually black. In reality he's half white, half Kenyan-Arab since his father was ethnically Arabic, with only 1 relative ethnically African Negro - a maternal great-grandparent. His name is telling since it is the custom for the descendants of Arab slave traders in Kenya to give their children Arabic names to distinguish them from the native Africans.

What's in a name?

Arab names separated or identified descendants of Arab slave's and slave traders in the region from native Africans. Barack Obama is accurately referred to as Afircan-American but he is not the negro ethnicity that many believe him to be. If he should decide to take his oath of office on the Koran then no one should be surprised, he is of Arab descent.

If he should decide to take his oath of office on the Koran then no one should be surprised, he is of Arab descent.

I would be surprised considering he professes to be a Christian.

Ultimately, I find it of little consequence. In this country, I tend to be much more concerned about Fundamentalist Christians than Arab Muslims.

If he should decide to take his oath of office on the Koran then no one should be surprised, he is of Arab descent.
I would be surprised considering he professes to be a Christian.
I, too, would be more than very surprised, as John McCain himself vouched on several public occasions for Barack Obama’s un-Muslim-ness, and all but his most extreme and least credible critics (eg: selected purely by its primacy in a google search, Debbie Schlussel, writer of ”Barack Hussein Obama: Once a Muslim, Always A Muslim”). The urbanlegends.about.com article ”Is Barack Obama a Muslim?” has a pretty thorough debunking of various claims of these sort.

It’s interesting, I think, and perhaps not coincidental, that the percentage of people voting “yes” or “I can’t decide” to the question “Do you believe Barack Obama could really be a 'stealth' Muslim?” in this large internet poll vs. those voting “no” 47% to 51%, is similar to popular vote percentage, 46% to 53%.

I’d be less surprised if Obama were someday to “come out” as a closet atheist. Per the above urbanlegends article, he describes his parents and stepparents as “confirmed atheists” who went to lengths to foster an open-minded understanding of religion in their son. And, as many atheist including myself can attest, it’s pretty easy for an “atheist at heart” to maintain a near perfect appearance of religiosity for much or all of a lifetime. For an American politician aspiring to the Presidency, the declaration of Christianity is, I think, a practical necessity.

I’m personally less worried by Obama’s religiosity or lack of same than I’ve been every any previous president elect of my adult lifetime. The conventional wisdom is, I think, that it’s best for the people with the most access to and control of the means of producing events most resembling various religions’ “end of the world” stories (ie: large nuclear arsenals) not to be zealous believers in such religions, for fear that people who believe that such events are good, necessary, or according to divine plan, might seek to bring them about.

I personally don’t doubt that John McCain is also not a religious zealout. I have seen no statement made by or about him that would lead me to believe he gives more than the lip service to religion necessary to succeed politically. Credible articles such as the CSM’s “John McCain: keeping faith, on his own terms” suggest that while a “cultural Christian” and believes in “higher purpose”, he is very moderate in his beliefs, arguably to the point than many strongly religious people would term atheism.

I’m personally less worried by Obama’s religiosity or lack of same than I’ve been every any previous president elect of my adult lifetime.

Me too, I was merely pointing out that those that are concerned shouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be something different than what he's believed to be. I would consider it a point in his favor if he turned out to be atheist :hihi:

P.S.

FWIW, Obama took his Senate oath of office on the bible, not the Koran, as claimed in a widely distributed email...