Science Forums

Urantia Book: Complications and Contradictions

Turtle

turtle, ya know i love ya but we have to be civil and not call people trolls and their text the book of urination.It is not befitting of such great minds as yours and moontanmans;)

As soon as maj starts to act respectable I'll give him some, all he does is repeat the same claims over and over as though repetition will make them true, he does his best to misrepresent and obfuscate the issues. I think I'm being much more respectful to him than he is to us..

Ridiculing a text that someone ascribes to, only causes strife. The debate should be kept civil, with use of supporting evidence and without personal conjecture.

Why does he get to use deceit, misrepresentation and obfuscation to make his points instead of evidence?

What personal conjecture?

that was a nice way of not pointing a finger at any one in particular for their not so nice way of treating majeston and that is all i will say.If you need further clarification then please message me.I do not want this thread to remain off topic.

...I read both the Book of urination's account and wiki's account and they do not even come close to matching.

Ridiculing a text that someone ascribes to, only causes strife. The debate should be kept civil, with use of supporting evidence and without personal conjecture.

I really don't see the need to respect a text. The book is reprehensible. After reading it in some depth I myself said:

this book is a morally corrupt bunch of eugenics trash that finds no excuse in the time period it was written. It's inexcusable and intolerable and utterly shameful that people are supporting it.

Moontanman is correct that binary stars do not form as is related in the text.

Majeston, do you have any scientific source agreeing with this account of binary star formation?

~modest

[quote=modest

Majeston, do you have any scientific source agreeing with this account of binary star formation?

Nope,

just several well respected PhD's with degrees and expertise in Physics and Astronomy and other related fields. This might be a new fact that science simply hasn't discovered yet. We might have to give them time.

The Urantia papers speak for themselves. The very nature of revelation carries inherently within the unusual quality that it reveals facts formerly unknown. This appears to be one such case. Perhaps you know something I don't.

Moontanman is correct that binary stars do not form as is related in the text.

Nope,

just several well respected PhD's with degrees and expertise in Physics and Astronomy and other related fields.

Please quote for us several well-respected PhDs with degrees in Physics or Astronomy who claim that stars which are too massive split equatorially forming binaries.

Thank you.

~modest

Please quote for us several well-respected PhDs with degrees in Physics or Astronomy who claim that stars which are too massive split equatorially forming binaries.

Thank you.

~modest

Well, I already did that in the Tycho post by the authors who wrote it. The others I do not have permission to use their names on this group at this time. I'm sure you can understand why. I certainly don't want to break any rules.

[quote name=CraigDThat “experts now state that everything they though they knew about the formation of our solar system is wrong” due to recent Jupiter observation and probe spacecraft data strikes me as an extraordinary claim, Majestron. Do you have a source for this claim?

You've spelled the name incorectly. You're also a bit trigger happy, your questions are only one day old yet you thought it necessary to bully me into answering you in so short a time as if I have nothing else to do. I thought I had mentioned the source, if not it was a show on the History channel at least twice last week and I did not catch the name. The show was a quite recent 2007-2009 presentation of the Galileo mission to Jupiter.

What in the article you link supports the idea that Tycho’s 1672 supernova was the explosion of two stars, Majestron?

It states it was possibly a type 1a nova.

Its conclusion, which you quote, is that its remnants are consistent with a type Ia supernova. The most likely cause of this kind of supernova – the single-degenerate model, so called because only one of the stars involved, the white dwarf, contains much degenerate matter – is matter being stripped from the normal star companion of a white dwarf, resulting in unbinding of the white dwarf (what could accurately be called an “explosion”) from very high power fusion reactions surrounding it, but not the unbinding of its companion. This is the reason why astronomers such as those mentioned in Menedez’s article search for nearby normal stars with motion consistent of having been blown away from the vicinity of the supernova, which according the article, Tycho G is believed to be.

A less likely model is the double-degenerate, which involves two white dwarfs. However, in this model, on of the stars is ripped apart to supply the infalling matter fused by the other. Although both stars are unbound in this process, an observer describing it would not call it a “double explosion”, because the first start is torn apart over a long period (about 1000 years) before the second is unbound in the brief (about 1 day) powerful supernova event.

In this day of readily available information, you should not hazard such guesses, Majestron. A simple check of a popular source such as the wikipedia article “double star”, would allow you to know that an unambiguous description of a double star appeared no later than 1651, and possible as early as 1616. Well before the 20th century, double stars were well known to professional and armature stargazers. The Burnham Double Star Catalogue, published in 1906, lists 13665 pairs of double stars.

Worse than depriving yourself of easily available information, by not researching your guesses, Majestron, you risk giving readers bad information. This it one of the main reasons hypography’s first rule is

In general,
back up your claims
by using links or references

ok sorry Craig, my bad, I've only been here like a few days after a long lapse and I really didn't think you were taking this so seriously due to the nature of the comments being spewed and besides that we really are dealing with a topic that carries a very low level of respect and is in the category of Books-Movies and Games.

Paper 41 of this online copy of Urantia book states:

The most recent of the major cosmic eruptions in Orvonton was the extraordinary double star explosion, the light of which reached Urantia in A.D. 1572. This conflagration was so intense that the explosion was clearly visible in broad daylight.

Unless the Urantia Book and the “Urantia account” are different things, I don’t see how one can claim that “the Urantia account doesn't state that 2 stars exploded”.

It says what it says, I didn't write the revelation. I can think of at least 3 possibilities that someone could interpret that phrase and they are all different. I'm sure you can as well.

Thanks for your comments. I hope I haven't missed anything or pissed anyone off.

Are these the guys who you are talking about Majeston?

Chris Halvorson, PhD, Halbert Katzen, JD, Phil Calabrese, PhD

Again you only show your ability to misrepresent and obfuscate the issue. These guys are followers of the book of urantia, they are not a reasonable neutral representation of science. They have the same misguided agenda you do, proving the book of urantia and proselytizing the religion of the book of urantia. Majeston, can you possibly be any more disingenuous? This would be like a creationist quoting a creation scientist to prove the veracity of the bible. Majeston your continuing dishonesty does not further your cause, it only makes you look more and more dishonest and dissembling.