Science Forums

How many KWH/month used in your household?

Turtle

How many KWH/month used in your household on average?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. How many KWH/month used in your household on average?

• 0 - 200 KWH
    • 201 - 400
    • 401 - 600
    • 601 - 800
    • 801 - 1000
    • 1001 - 1200
    • 1201 - 1400
    • 1401 - 1600
    • 1601 - 1800
    • > 1801

Yes! It turns out that it was the reporting that was wrong for the months before Christmas. I didn't report the readings in time, so the power company have assumes much lower values than we actually use.

In March we used almost exactly 1250Kwh - that's 50% of my previous reports. :doh:

Oh joy.

The price seems to be about $0.055 per kwh right now (it fluctuates pretty much).

Btw, 1250kwh seems really high! I would seriously consider trying to figure out where you are losing this.

The average expected yearly consumption for a "standard" house in Norway is 20 000 kwh, so if we're currently using the equivalent of 15 000 kwh I think we're doing pretty good (and much better than I feared). A "large" house (not sure where they draw the line but we're definitely not living in one) averages 30 000 kwh.

Remember we have no gas utilities, for example, everything runs on electricity.

Same here actually. We choose to go all electric as my master plan was to be able to produce all the electricity we needed via solar and/or wind generators.

Sadly, I really underestimated the amount of electricity needed in the winter to pump the liquid through our geothermal setup and the infloor radiant heat.

In the summer (probably starting in May) we should be self sufficient, hopefully through September.

Got to get that wind generator up in the backyard!

"equivalent of 15 000kwh"? Can you please explain? IOW, why does 1250kwh=15000kwh? :naughty:

No gas...I have to remember that...so strange...

Equivalent per year, of course. 1250 * 12 = 15 000. ;) (I did state "expected yearly consumption").

• 2 years later...

We are a family of 2, live in St.Louis in a 1975sf house built in 1985. R26 walls, R40 attic. Last year's avg was 364 per month. We have brought that amount down from 500+/- average for the past 5 years by installing a 14 seer central A/C. All lighting is cfl natural gas heating, cooking, and hot water. Last summer we installed 4.1kw solar electric. With no life- style change, the meter and prodduction records showed almos a 20% reduction in use exclusive of central A/C. Could it be that the digital meter is that much more accurate/inaccurate than the previous analog meter? After reviewing the past 7 months since the solar installation we are kwh neutral. I am now working from home and have the desk top on 9hrs a day so that may change...