Science Forums

Intelligent Driving

freeztar

• Hazards when braking hard - This is a new one I saw recently on the freeway. For whatever reason, traffic went from 65mph to 20mph very quickly and everyone had to nearly slam on their brakes. I noticed a car up ahead of me that had its hazards on. At first I thought thatthis person was the reason for the quick brake, but it turns out that they were just warning the drivers behind them. It's an added warning to the brake lights. I gave the guy a thumbs up and a virtual ID sticker and went on my way, with a bit more confidence in humanity.

Knowing the roads - ID (not to be confused with Idiotic delinquents or similarly intelligent design) know the [some] roads well enough to drive blindfolded, of course they would never do this in practice.

This comes down to a few points-

1. When I can be bothered I will accelerate and brake only just enough knowing when my next turn or slow point is. My brother remarked that I always take a very tight line around corners and roundabouts, often getting a wheel in the gutter, but always missing the curve. I told him it was practice - then the other day not driving in an area I knew well I hit a curb :hihi:

2. Knowing alternative routes and traffic flow - Im still learning this one, there are so many variables, but around my house I can fairly effectively avoid slow points.

An intelligent and ecologically considerate driver will abandon his masculine "know-it-all"-ness and employ the services of a GPS unit in his vehicle of choice.

The fuel saved by not making unecessary turns in discovering that you're not entirely sure about the way to get there, will surely lower your carbon footprint considerably.

An intelligent and ecologically considerate driver will abandon his masculine "know-it-all"-ness and employ the services of a GPS unit in his vehicle of choice.

The fuel saved by not making unecessary turns in discovering that you're not entirely sure about the way to get there, will surely lower your carbon footprint considerably.

:bwa: GPS is for wussies!:)

I've got the ultimate navigation system in my truck...It's called a Road Atlas...it requires no batteries, no satalites, and works perfectly regardless of weather.

Keeping it company my trusty compass. If you can't get from point A. to point B. with these two handy items perhaps you should seriously consider not trying to get to point B. by yourself.

• 5 months later...
Here's a big one:

• Accelerate to speed on the onramp to the highway - Nothing drives me more insane than when people nervously slow down or come to a stop when merging onto the highway. It is incredibly dangerous, and someone almost got me killed once. The onramp is like a launching shoot. Step on the gas with the intention of reaching the speed of the traffic flow on the highway by the time you get to the top. It makes merging so much easier, and avoids getting the folks behind you killed, like me.

I'd like to restress this point. I found a scientific study that shows that some drivers are confused about who actually has the right of way (the people already on the highway do!) and other interesting tidbits about driver education and suggestions.

http://www.uark.edu/rd_engr/MBTC/MBTC_-_2100.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • Watch the taillights of the car ahead of the car in front of you, not just the one in front of you This lets you have more of a heads up when traffic is slowing down, and will let you know when the car ahead of you is going to brake.

Similarly, my driving instructor taught us to look through the windshield of the vehicle in front of us at what is going on, not to make the mistake of focusing on the rear of his car.

- Intelligent Drivers Don't Change Lanes Every Five Seconds In Heavy Traffic. Every time I'm in heavy traffic or in a traffic jam there is always someone jumping between lanes if they think the other lane is faster. Half an hour later they still haven't made progress and half the time end up behind me :hihi:

Intelligent drivers understand the dynamics that exit and entrance ramps add to rush hour traffic.

In Houston, the veterans can spot each other as we change lanes towards the right lane coming up on the exit ramp and then immediately head back for the far left lane. Once you get attuned to it you can just see them in the mix of a thousand cars. :) B)